• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Can hot/cold changes in temp. while pilling make you sick?

Terry

Bluelighter
The other night I had the best time at *(good music GREAT PEOPLE
smile.gif
) except for mid way through my roll(had 2 at 12pm then 1 at 230am wasn't sick till from 5-6 when I stopped dancing and walk outside....this was where I would become sick for like 5mins attempt to chuck up but it would pass as my temp seemed to change....I did this like twice then once I stayed warm my roll continued as normal happy as a could be talky/dancey etc.Any thoughts of what may have caused this?
------------------
**:)IT'S ALL GOOD:)**

Last edited by a moderator:
i have no idea what/why that is/was...
i thought the weather was pretty kind - no rain, clear sky and relatively warm all night. true, it was cold in the morning... but nothing compared to mystic, eckythump or rush hour.
your body may have been unstable due to the comedown, and the temperature change might have ticked it off just that little bit more... *shrug*
wink.gif

Cool that's a thought, though I don't think I was coming down when sick as after it passed I was still feeling a half decent peak with chattiness etc for the 2 or so hrs that followed.The other though was that I may have danced to much with out noticing I was run down although I did have plenty of fluids.Just trying to find the cause to this a short lasting but hopefully avoidable sickness.

yep it can.
Temp changes affect some people like this.. and some people not at all. Depends on your body. Serotonin is necessary for body temperature regulation, and if you've had yourself a strong pill, or been pilling a few nights recently etc, then your serotonin levels may be on the low side, and your body may have a little trouble adjusting to a temperature change... and then you feel unwell.

It has been shown that temperature plays a very important role in the degree of neurotoxicity that MDMA can cause. This is just as relevant for cooler temps as it is for hotter. In other words, if the environmental temp. is varied from the considered optimum, your body will have great difficulty in regulating itself to approx. 37 deg., your normal body temp.

If you vomited it may have been induced by the shock of the change in temperature. Your body when shocked will often attempt to rid itself of the cause of the associated toxicity.
MDMA affects receptors in the hypothalamus, which causes a reversing affect of your body's normal temperature regulating mechanism. This special gland is also responsible for regulating visceral organs and their functions, e.g. stomach etc. and among many other things, it also coordinates neural and endocrine (glands) secretions and functions.

Once while DJing in Byron during August, I thought I would put on a long tune and zip out to the car for a jumper. I was rollin hard, and as I stepped out into the cold I broke out into an uncontrollable shiver, so much so I had to run back inside and get someone else to grab it. I've had it happen on a couple of other occasions since, and have seen others experience it as well.
Some have speculated too much E may affect your long term ability to regulate temperature, although I'm unaware of any research done into this.

Jessica Malberg, - Yale uni, did research on temp / mdma in rats. Here you'll find her work as presented at the Ecstasy conference http://www.drugpolicy.org/ecstasy/conf_program.html

Anyone else experienced temp related problems when rollin'?

[Edit: fixed up paragraphing, p_d]

Last edited:
Very interesting post, phase_dancer - thanks for putting that up. I went through a phase of about 6 months that whenever I went clubbing, as soon as I got outside into the cold (or relatively) cooler air, I'd throw up. No other ill effects, and would immediately feel better. I'd always thought this a combination of the naturally upset stomach (pills, no food, lots of liquid, and loads of dancing) combined with the temperature shock - my temperature regulation is stuffed for 24 hrs after pilling, and I have to ensure that I keep warm if I'm not to be a very unhappy bunny. Thanks for your info - I'll do some more reading on it as you suggest.
Intersting thing though - it hasn't happened to me since last winter, I've been completely fine this winter. I wonder if my body is adapting better...

Thanks heaps people for the info & links.In future I will try to make a gradual transition between the hot/cold climates or even rug up before I go into the cold air. You descriptions of MDMA hot/cold sickness matches my experience
smile.gif

------------------
**:)IT'S ALL GOOD:)**

Often I find I've got less ability to tell when I SHOULD be wearing a jumper, or when my body's going to be adversely affected by being out in the cold. This has been evident with friends well, eg. I walked outside with my mate and I was straight, rugged up, and he was rolling off his tits in nothing but a t-shirt and shorts. I told him he surely MUST be cold cuz I certainly was and he said nope.. not cold at all - neither of us had been dancing, the only difference was, he was on pills and I wasn't.

Recently I suffered heat exhaustion/dehydration at an event (VERY NASTY), and it started when I felt likt this. Every time I walked out, Id feel like throwing up.
Looking back, it was just that Id stopped dancing every time and my body was going into a shock-like state.

Well even if you're not pilling, sudden changes in temperature can make you sick, so i'd say it sure as hell contributes. I think the main difference is that I don't notice the need to rug up when i'm pilling, it might be minus ten and belting down and i'm running around in my t-shirt and little skirt saying how refreshing the rain is.