Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Giving up Marijuana?

hayley2001

Bluelighter
hey guys...I know this topic might be unrelated to the recent discussions, but I would really appreciate your thoughts on people who were addicted to Pot, y'know chronic everyday sorta user? My boyfriend really wants to give up...he was an everyday user, then when he met me cut down to only weekends, but now has been smoking more and more on weekends from joints to now bongs and he truly wants to give up, but finds nothing else compared to this relaxant? I would very much appreciate your stories/thoughts on ways to give up, or alternatives?
smile.gif
smile.gif

i don't know what you could give him to help, although i know for myself that if you just make him quit completely for at least a month or so if he has another cone he will hate the stuff.
Myself and so many ppl i know hate smoking after quiting for a little while. It just doesn't feel the same. And also after even just a few weeks of not smoking at all your head just clears up heaps. But as long as he is smoking even once a week he will continue to feel the need. and his head will remain haizy.
Thats the only help i can give
smile.gif
Just try to stop him smoking for a while, then hopefully he will get over it fully.
------------------
Yeah nice one brov! :)

well from age 16 to 20ish, I was smoking about 10-30 bongs a day.. Got a job at a tattoo shop where the boss didnt like any drugs. So I just stopped smoking. Simple as that.. Since then (8 years ago) ive had say maybe 1 month of having a few bongs with friends and besides that maybe 5-10 sessions all up. I found it quite easy to give it up, actually with about 4 years in between even having a puff on a joint or whatever. But then again, a friend of mine has tried everything to give up, even going to church/getting priests to help out. He simply cannot give up (and this guy was/is a black belt in seido karate, he does have willpower, just physically cant get away from dope.. He does try a lot..).
So basically, moral of the story, its really up to each person on how they handle it. And try to get him away from other people who smoke weed, thats the strongest influence..

Thanks guys....your advice helped! I think pot is a powerful powerful drug which can be addictive....he finds it the biggest refief after a hard week and craves it every weekend.. . He used to not be able to sleep unless he was bent, pretty bad. We went overseas for 4 months 2gether and of course the countries we went, no pot, so he went 4 months straight without, and yeh when he came back, he smoked less, then after a while slipped back into his old routine. anyhoo, im whinging, so Ill stop, and thanx for your advice, keep the stories comin....
smile.gif

I don't see a problem with wanting cones after work. I do it all the time.
Where is the difference between having a few beers after work VS having a few cones after work? Same thing, just different drug.
very good for a stressed mind as well
smile.gif

But, as with EVERYTHING... and is continually remarked upon on this site...
all in moderation!
HC

thanx pinger, that thread helped me heaps...wow man, never knew so many people are regular pot users! It would have to be the most favourite thing in the world to my partner, yet I think it has detrimental effects on him- unmotivation, laziness, moodiness the next day after smoking etc. I just want him to give up, cold turkey or day-by-day cutting down whatever and he wants to too, yet he has tried everything and nothing works, truly. He just thinks nothing beats it, I just keep pushing his willpower all the time!!!
smile.gif

Sorry to take over this thread and keep adding my comments...this shit is very important to me, and something I am going through to help my boyfriend right now, so I am a keen beaver! Happycamper...so you dont find anything wrong with a few cones a day? my boyfriend only smokes weekend, up to 10 bongs on fri & sat night, and nothing during the week. HC- will you continue to smoke for years to come?
smile.gif

These are just my opinions:
Personally, I think that if there was a choice between stopping completely from heavy use (so-called "cold turkey") or slowly weaning off marijuana over time, then it's up to the user to decide which will work. Obviously everyone has differing levels of self-control, and different techniques will work for different people.
I know as well as anyone how tough it can be to go from smoking every day to quitting cold turkey. In fact, the symptoms of immediate cessation can be the strongest motivation not to stop - when you're lying in bed at night on the 2nd day after stopping, sweating, and you can't get to sleep no matter what, sometimes having no marijuana in the house is the only thing that is strong enough motivation not to smoke. On the fourth night in a row, this can be maddening. But, if you can persist, then all of a sudden these things improve dramatically and the benefits of abstinence begin to outweigh the drawbacks.
Weaning oneself off is often easier, but less final, especially for someone who is a heavy smoker. Some people find that substitution can help - ie, drinking at night after work rather than smoking, but from a harm minimisation point of view I don't think this is a satisfactory way to remove a psychological or physical dependence unless absolutely necessary.
Benefits of reducing your marijuana intake can be manyfold - including clarity of thought, motivation and sometimes weight loss. Additional 'benefits' for those that still enjoy marijuana after abstaining from a heavy use period are IMHO that you get a lot more effect from less marijuana after you've had a break. I don't think this has to do with tolerance (because THC concentrates in fatty tissues it has more of a reverse-tolerance effect), but more to do with becoming accustomed to being stoned all the time.
BigTrancer
smile.gif

------------------
Load universe into cannon. Aim at brain. Shoot.

I've quit smoking bongs so many times that I dont even bother saying I'm quitting anymore because I know it wont happen.
If theres a method I've tried it.
Cold turkey ... works great, then one billy and I'm back in the swing of things.
Slowly weaning off it works better but takes forever and then I still find myself smoking again.
So I've finally admitted to myself this is something that wont go away not matter how much I want it to and have made drastic changes to my smoking routine to make up for it. I'm not a foil a day smoker no longer, I wont smoke 10 cones to a session anymore and try my darndest to only smoke fridays and saturdays.
Hey its not quit but its the best I can do
smile.gif

But I dont see my smoking as being a problem now anyway so smoking the odd bong doesnt kill me it makes me stronger or stoneder or something .... I forget.
wink.gif

I smoke pot everynight...
sometimes im not sure wheather im hopelessley addicted or just in love with the stuff. apart from seeing my gf when i finish work or any other time. there is nothing i like more then a nice cone after work, eating dinner, watching telly and relaxxing, then maybe another one, checking a video out of whatevers on telly, then maybe one before bed... i used to smoke heaps, quit a few times, but much like fry-d i have to admit i love the stuff. its my "golden ale" my "VB" that quenches my "hard earned thirst", the only thing i try to do is have nights off, minimise the amount of spinner i put in (for the old lungies sake)
I know if i stop next time it will be for good, but honestly the motivation for that isnt there, when it is ill address it. i smoke with a nice porcelan billy, nice metal stem, cause its stoopid smoking cones regualy with a garden hose, aint too good for you...
i may not have been much help... I think im relaxed enough to not get moody, but my temper can be quick sometimes...
dont force your bf, because like me and many others pot is obviously important to him. it has to be a decesion he makes himself...
he only smokes on weekend, so that could be the reason he is moody sometimes, cause he may want cones during the week (but not mentally know it), i assure you he isnt addicted physically if he was, he'd be getting cold sweats and nausea during the week he has off, and you have to be smoking a serious amount of cones to get that way...
pot isnt as bad for your lungs as ciggies, and im not sure if my heads cloudy, i know i am slower then i used to be, but i still beleive i am capable of brilliance, me and my mate smoked cones through hsc (stupid i know but the power of hindsight gave me this view) we still made it to uni, its all about being responsible with your usage...
im glad im off the stage of waking up and having billies...getting home and rifling through 3/4/5...
i still love my pot more then any other drug
smile.gif

------------------
the secret to success is clean underwear and a good top hat

i've smoked pot occasionally (average of at least once per week- usually on weekends) since teenage years and always enjoyed it.
I do not smoke it more often than that as I find it makes me, well boring, ie i will happily sit there and "dumb out" and watch television. Anything that makes television interesting is in my opinion quite a worrying thing.
recently, i had a months holiday, and smoked nearly every day. whilst i enjoyed this as well, i found it had real impacts on my motivation and general energy levels. not, much of a problem on holidays, but very much a problem if you are trying to be a productive part of a relationship or a career.
it took about a week until i got my shit together back at the new job. kind of dissapointing when starting a new role. "the fog" took about 3 days to properly lift, and i was not at all tempted to revisit getting stoned as i knew it would make matters much worse.
i have no idea how people can claim they can smoke prior or during work. i can only imagine how much more productive and successful these people would be
so yeah, it's pretty low down on the harm scale, but it can have definite impacts on how you lead your life, in my opinion
my 0.02 c

ta stylin...your insight was very honest and you laid it out simply. I dont come from a world where my friends are into (apart from my bf) dope and it is the norm. Pills, charlie yes, but not dope and I struggle (thanks 2 u you av helped to 2 understand the logic in it) to understand the love for it. My brother smoked as I was growing up and I resented him for suddenly always being unsociable which placed distance between us ( i dont totally blame that on dope tho). Your insight truly helped me man, as I would have to say I love my bf to death, yet his pot smoking has caused the most rifts over the last 2 years. Understanding why he loves it might help, as you say the same things he says "it relaxes me", that he "doesnt need it, he just loves it". When I 1st met him, he smoked every day and i said I honestly couldnt be with him if he was an every-user, so he gave up..., oh my god was his body going through massive changes....if i can be brutally honest..he was always sweating, especially @ night, caused impotence (temporarily) and extreme moodiness....his body was used to weed every day and a lot of it (5-6 cones) and then nothing. Some say for me to chill out, but i worry that down the track skitzophrenia/permanent paranoia might imbed. I have learnt to chill out alot about it, yet hearing your stories or current lifestyle help me to UNDERSTAND.
THANKYOU! keep em comin.....

thats just it though, pot doesnt make me anti social though, like it does for some, for anyone who knowes me or has met me, then you'd know how social i am, how not paranoid i am. pot does cause its problems and hased caused problems for me and will maybe cause more problems in the future...
maybe im just going through a phase. just like i used to go out every weekend for ages. but right now pot is completely diff to me then goee, pills etc.
i dont really treat it as a drug, its my alchohol... and it hasnt changed me as a person, im still a loud mouthed, hyperactive lout, as i have been for as long i can remember
smile.gif

------------------
the secret to success is clean underwear and a good top hat

I'm in Stylin's boat as well. Geez if we were in the same City we could have some great sesh's ... with some Nik Fish of course lol
wink.gif

thats it. some people have 3-5 beers when they get home, some have 3-5 cones.
Still do stuff, like not just smoke smoke smoke smoke smoke pass out and sleep.
smoke have a shower smoke watch some tv and get some dinner smoke check out blue light smoke go to bed.
luvly!
HC
[This message has been edited by HappyCamper (edited 03 August 2001).]

oh man ... ;(
i cant remember how often ive said: "thats it fellas, this is my last cone!... all bear witness!..." ... but i always start again ...
i didnt start smoking til relatively late ... like 17 when i started uni ... but i would smoke like 10 buckets a day or something stupid ... and this for easy a whole year ... *sigh*
ive really cut down now ... ill smoke weekends sure ... and definately for those post rave come downs ...
i think its definately true tho that i dont really see it as so much of a drug ... and i dont think im really "addicted" to it as such ... i just LOVE smoking weed!... hrmm ... strange ...
but i did go thru a 3 month cold turkey session when i went overseas and now it definately IS different than before ... i dont know how or why tho ...
*shrug* ... gl to ur boyfriend tho!...
btw ... happycamper- ur in brissy right ?... maybe we should hook up for a session some time eh ?... do u play hacky ?... ;P~
------------------
rhythmatic movements in unison with others prolong an act of sensation with no limits or boundaries >

hiro: we'll discuss this further on Brisvegas
smile.gif

but i think its inevitable
smile.gif

God... -tries to imagine coming down after a rave without weed around-.. :shudder:
HC

Hey..
Like others in here, I was a pretty 'heavy' dope smoker for a long time. Started when I was about 15, smoked virtually every day until I was nearly 23. In the last year or so of smoking I was going through 15-20 cones a day as well as drinking with it at night to help me sleep.. I'm not going to go into the gory details of why I quit here (it'd be more appropriate in the dark side forum) - I'll just say that I got to the point where mentally/physically, I was fucked, and some full-on nasty shit happened to me. The worst thing dope did to me was leave me with what I could best describe as really bad 'anxiety', but not textbook 'DSM-IV' definition anxiety.. more an incredible sense of racing thoughts/edginess, and a physical sensation that felt like my chest/arms/face were 'burning' all the time. I've never been able to desribe the feeling to anyone properly and that hasn't changed now!
Anyway.. I officially 'quit' in April last year.. since then I've smoked 3 times (only one cone each time), and _every_ time I do it it brings back the edginess/anxiety for anything up to 2-3 _months_ afterwards. I finally worked out that for me, smoking at all was a really bad idea about six months ago, and now the idea of touching the stuff again literally scares me. I'll still consume other things (pills etc) in moderation (like once a month/6 weeks or so), which doesn't seem to have any horrific aftereffects, but choof is definitely a no-no these days!
Btw, don't get me wrong - I don't and never have gone around preaching that "smoking's bad, mmmkay?".. I believe certain people are predisposed to bad shit happening to them as a result of certain drugs, and mine just happens to be dope. Oh yeah, I also used to swear that it didn't have much impact on 'me' when I was smoking, that I could still think clearly/do stuff etc etc.. it was only after about two months totally off it that I realised how well my mind _could_ actually operate! Again, this doesn't go for everyone, but I/several friends who've quit before have noticed a fog clear that we didn't even know was there within a few weeks of stopping.
Hope this has been of help to someone... ?
------------------
Today a young man on acid realised that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration... that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively - there's no such thing as death, life is only a dream and we're the imagination of ourselves.. here's Tom with the weather!

HappyCamper is spot on, all in moderation.
BigTrancer is always right.
I really don't understand how some people can be so weak, if you see a sticking block in your life you take another path. I really think that people who don't make changes accordingly have a deeper rooted problem - they just don't understand the preciousness of life and of today. You can try to tell them, but they still can't appreciate it in most cases, because it comes across as preaching, but the truth is the people preaching about life are doing so because theyv'e thought deeply about the consequences of taking *this* path, or *this* path really has. Because some people have no *true* appreciation for life, they have no appreciation for the scars bad moves make.
Your boyfriend, he'll change when he appreciates the negatives which are arising from the use of mj to the point where he's willing to make a change. That's what it comes down to, isn't it?
Simon

weed weed go away smoke a cone another day
------------------
rhythmatic movements in unison with others prolong an act of sensation with no limits or boundaries >