• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Am I having a mild allergic reaction to morphine?

HT harm redux

Bluelighter
A few weeks ago my doc upped my dose from 60 to 100mg of mscontin. and now i get intermitent(sp) rashes on my hands and arms. could this be from the histamine release and my body just cant take it? should I get off the morphine?

A histamine reaction would be correct, and considering most allergic reactions are indeed histamine releases...

That said, is it unbearable? Bring it up with the doctor and ask his opinion. Also, I'd suggest trying some over the counter antihistamines, and seeing whether they help.

Or if you've got some decent corticosteroid creams floating around, they definitely help heh.

</chronic eczema sufferer and opiate user>

Its not "unbearable" to the point i cant stand it, but i hurts and its all on my hands and its embarassing to me when my hands are red and bumpy. I use hydrocortisone to solve the problem and prescription atarax instead of benadryl. benadryl doesnt really get rid of the rashes

Perhaps! Depends on your location and how strict they are about prescribing anything different. In Aus, pain medication is retarded. Morphine for strong pain, Oxycodone for medium-strong, Codeine for everything else...

That's a simplification, but you get the idea. Talk to him :)

I shall find out tomorrow what hes gonna do. appt at 1145. wish me luck :)

This rash is really getting to me its drying my skin like a mofo. i hope he does something about it. and hopefully he thinks its from the morphine. I hope hes not dense enough to think otherwise.

Perhaps! Depends on your location and how strict they are about prescribing anything different. In Aus, pain medication is retarded. Morphine for strong pain, Oxycodone for medium-strong, Codeine for everything else...

That's a simplification, but you get the idea. Talk to him :)

morphine for strong pain? that doesnt make any sense. oxycodone mg to mg is stronger. im sorry for your location.

Last edited by a moderator:
^I merged your last 3 posts into one. In the future if you're the last one to post in your thread and would like to add more, please just hit "edit" and add the information instead of adding more posts.

True allergies to morphine are very rare. Most patients confuse the histamine reaction with an allergic reaction.

I think I have a paper on differentiating between allergic reactions and histamine reactions saved with my medical files, I'll have a look and see if I can find it.

EDIT:

Taking into consideration the extent of systemic involvement, and whether symptoms are the result of first or repeated opioid exposure, one may distinguish between immune and non-immune-mediated reactions.

An elevated histamine level in association with a high IgE level detected by radioallergosorbent test (RAST) is the most reliable indicator of true allergy;4however, radioallergosorbent tests have not been validated for routine clinical use.

If the histamine reaction is really bothering you, you can speak to your doctor about it or try using an antihistamine. Opioids without the 6-hydroxyl group tend to have a lower histamine release, e.g. hydrocodone, hydromorphone, oxycodone.

Last edited:
He switched me to Opana ER. but he made my dose too low and i cant afford the script cost for the proper dose. I went the the opana website and it said that from my 200mg a day of morphine i should be on 34mg of opana er every 12 hours. so basically a 30mg pill. he only gave me 20mg pills, so now im experiencing some withdrawal symptoms, mainly gastrointestinal what fun.