Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

KHAT- in Perth

Trueplaya

Bluelighter
I remember seeing a piece on the news on a KHAT tree in a Perth suburb. The report went on to describe that men of African descent go to the house and pick the new growth off the tree and chew it.
Apparenty the effects produced are ecstasy like?
did anyone see that report?
does anyone know where this tree is ?
smile.gif

No idea where the tree is.. But about the effects:
Cat (khat or qat)
A herb (Catha Edulis) that is chewed to produce an amphetamine-like effect. Somali immigrants use it as a legal high in the UK, and recently also party goers, although it is illegal in the US and some other countries. It only works when fresh, so avoid if limp or dried up. The active component Cathinone or Methcathinone can be derived from the herb.
The chewing of leaves of the khat shrub (Catha edulis) is common in certain countries of East Africa and the Arabian peninsula, and some khat users are subject to psychic dependence on the drug. The effects of khat are reminiscent of that induced by amphetamine. Recently, the alkaloid cathinone has been isolated from khat leaves and this substance produces effects in animals that are analogous to those of amphetamine and that correlate well with the effects observed in humans after chewing khat.
I would say its more a speedy effect that mdma effect
smile.gif

google is your friend...

It's in Bassendean somewhere, but I think theres quite a few of them around the place. Cat is like poor man's speed (and speed is poor man's coke hehehe) though, it ain't that great from what I hear.
I think they said there were some side effects (besides those you'd expect) as well, but I'm not sure

My grand mother (sth African), actually used to chew it i remember when i was little she had a plant, shes dead now but i asked my uncle whos a bit of a pot head and he says it was just something grandma did on the quiet since she was young... hahaha fuck i never realized how funky grandma was! .......hmm wonder if she left any shit stashed behind..
[This message has been edited by Bizerka (edited 05 August 2001).]

There is a tree or trees in the grounds of UWA.
This isnt an urban legend either.
I dont know what they look like though or where it is; they did a story on it in the uni newspaper a while back.
I guess someone would know
smile.gif

Yep there is a Khat plant in Perth. The one I know of has not been mentioned thus far, is in someone's garden, but does overhang the fence on to the street. The police are aware of it but do not consider it a problem.
Anyway the leaves you want are near the top of the plant, the redder in colour the better. You can chew on the raw leaves for a while to achieve the effect. Nothing special just will keep you awake for a while and give you a bit of a boost. A word of warning the taste is bloody awful...dries yer mouth right out and is not good at all. As an alternative you can make a 'tea' out of the leaves...boil for as long as poss in water, add some tea bags, honey etc...doesn't taste as bad, but still pretty wrong!
Personally I reckon it tastes like shite and isn't worth the effort....but each to his own.
smile.gif