• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Bye-bye oxy, hello Clonidine....

Flo-Rida

Bluelighter
Has anyone ever heard of the drug Clonidine? If not, do some research:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clonidine

The other day I went to the detox clinic to get off of Oxy's. I've been addicted to Oxy for almost 2 years and it was bad... up to 280mg a day just to feel normal.

So my doc writes me 4 prescriptions to quit Oxy:

1) Buprenorphine (Subutex) - For primary withdrawal.
2) Fluoxetine (Prozac) - For depression from withdrawal.
3) Clonazepam (Klonopin) - For anxiety associated with withdrawal.

And...

4) Clonidine - For high blood pressure associated with withdrawal.

No joke, the doc said the Clonidine was to control my blood pressure! So like most of you would do, when I got home I did my own research on the drugs and discovered that, among many other things, Clonidine can be used to treat opiate withdrawal!

So on the first day of quitting the blues, I was told to wait until the MORNING before taking my first Subutex. But my doc said I could take the Clonidine and Klonopin to help me sleep.

So that's what I did... I popped the Klonopin first and let it kick in. Didn't do too much to me. So then I took the Clonidine... just a half of a .1 MG pill and that shit knocked me out!

Here's the best part... when I woke up the next morning, I had NO craving for blues! I felt perfectly fine, not even sick. Of course I took my Subutex like my doc said, but even before the Subutex I felt like I didn't even need it.

So I think Clonidine might be the trick. It does kind of make you feel "zombie-like", and if your sleepy it will knock you out.. but for the most part I feel fine on it.

I suggest people do more research into this. I'm even willing to bet that I could quit blue on Clonidine alone!

Good luck to all!

This comes off as a blog style post. Do you have a specific question to ask?

Reporting thread out of respect of forum, not in offense to you...

Cyb

Last edited:
This comes off as a blog style post. Do you have a specific question to ask?

Reporting thread out of respect of forum, not in offense to you...

Cyb

Why do I have to have a question? This forum is "Basic Drug Discussion" and I started this thread to discuss the drug Clonidine.

Don't troll my threads.

I can most assuredly tell you my intent was not to ''Troll your thread.'' Perhaps things are different here in BDD, I do not frequent this side of BL. Elsewhere, though, a thread that merely states a personal experience is usually considered blog material and is locked.

Regards,
Cyb

I don't see what the problem is. This section is for drug discussion and he is discussing drugs. It's not like he's a vendor trying to market a drug. This thread could potentially be very helpful to fellow bluelighters trying to come off opiates.

Clonidine is also great for those on amphetamines for ADD/ADHD.. When I was a kid I was on it for sleep.

awesome! I'm glad for you man, being the case that it is where clonidine is helping so much, you should be wary about starting too much subutex, as the bupenorphine is just another opiate and will continue your addiction and you will have withdrawals from the sub alone when you quit that, and sub withdrawals last about a month or more.

Clonidine hits me bad i have a hangover in the am when i get up. glad it works for you but i cant take it . I had to go with meth to get off good luck

I love clonidine..honestlyh it is one of the BEST "non narcotic" off label sleep aides by far. Hot and cold sweats go away unless you are withdrawin real hard

You can get withdrawal from clonidine so I would abstain from use after youve leveled out on sub

Yea it's great stuff. It even seems to be helping my cravings for blues and my GI issues, which was always a big issue for me. If I could become a doctor tomorrow who helps people get off Oxy's... I would always prescribe Clonidine first, then Subutex if that didn't help.

To the guy who mentioned the hangover thing... yea I get that too, but only a little. I wake up with a mild, frontal headache and am a little groggy. But nothing that some coffee and Advil won't fix. Definitely not enough to sway me from using it.

I'm sure the Clonazepam I'm taking is helping as well as far as keeping my mind off of it, but it's mostly all thanks to Clonidine. I'm over 24 hours clean now and I feel 100% normal... I only took 4mg of Subutex at 7am this morning during my shower and skipped it throughout the rest of the day, but never missed my dose with Cloni.

Note to users considering taking Clonidine: For some reason your body builds tolerance to this drug overnight. However, the first time you take it, it WILL knock you on your ass. Even at the measly .05 level you will be knocked out in 30 minutes. But when you wake up, you should feel 10x better.

Clonidine truly is my MIRACLE drug... and I've never even heard of it before.

Clonidine is also great for those on amphetamines for ADD/ADHD.. When I was a kid I was on it for sleep.

clonidine gave me fcking what do you call it
oh yeah restless legg syndrome, it was pretty useless for a sleeping medicaiton

go to the doctor, no melotonin doesn't work, on try unisolm or anything with dyphenhydramine, no that doesn't work,

here try clonidine, nope that doesn't work

then wehn i had a gp i had Z-drugs,
but i thought they were kinda dangerous because i would dirnk and take more pilly in ym sleeo

clonidine gave me fcking what do you call it
oh yeah restless legg syndrome, it was pretty useless for a sleeping medicaiton

go to the doctor, no melotonin doesn't work, on try unisolm or anything with dyphenhydramine, no that doesn't work,

here try clonidine, nope that doesn't work

then wehn i had a gp i had Z-drugs,
but i thought they were kinda dangerous because i would dirnk and take more pilly in ym sleeo

They didn't give it to me for "sleep"... to drop my blood pressure to normal levels so I could sleep. Long story short, my mother is a psychotic cunt who put me on an ungodly amount of amphetamines as a kid because she thought I was hyper.. hence I couldn't sleep. Dr's added clonadine to the mix so I could come "down" at night.. It was a mess.

i take it everyday for blood pressure...

that sleep shit wears off fast

first week i was taking it i could barely stay awake

now i take it in the morning and i dont even know if it works anymore

I was just coming off some prescribed hydrocodone 10/325 and Opana, (because I had a misunderstanding with my former Pain Clinic, (Discharged)). I am being treating for an autoimmune disease called Ankylosing Spondylitis, which attacks your spine and fuses the vertebrae together. I already have some of my neck vertebrae fused together, which causes chronic pain. My family Doctor prescribed Conidine and Clonazepam until I could look for a new Pain Clinic (UGH). I have to tell you when I went cold turkey off the Fentanyl patch a few years ago, that was some of the worst hell I went through. The worst withdraws you can imaginable. No meds, or anything for help. I was crawling the walls, and felt like my skin was crawling. I barely slept for 3 weeks. This time it was different, the Conidine kept the creepy crawly's away at night, and the Clonazepam help me sleep and sleep extremely well. This has been the smoothest withdraw I've ever been through, and I been through several. NEVER EVER or through detox without some support medication. Unless you like living through hell.

I have to say Clonidine saved my ass when I went cold turkey off of opiates and alcohol back in 2013. The third day of w/d, my blood pressure skyrocketed and I went to the ER. I was given a clonidine patch, and it was like magic. I calmed down, was able to sleep an hour or two each night, and went back to work 5 days later. I am struggling with a lot of fear right now, as I relapsed after a year clean (I go to PM, so all drugs are prescribed), so afraid of that awful feeling when I guess the adrenal glands kick back in??? Idk... I don't have clonidine and I can't get it unless I am sure I want to quit, so I try to taper off my pain pills every other month or so.

Yep, it's pretty much standard fare for withdrawing patients. I got some patches at the hospital earlier this year when I ran out of my script early and had to suck it up for 7-8 days. It really helps a bunch. This month I am two pills short and I'll need to drop my dosages by half or a little less to make it until Friday AM. Does anyone know if I put one of those patches on tomorrow (48 hours till refill) would it help me even though I'm still taking my pain meds, just reducing the amount I'm taking? I don't want to put it on and have it screw up what I'm trying to do. I'd hope it may be able to allow me to push back my next dose a little further because it's controlling my BP and such. Any thoughts? Thanks!

I never found Clonidine to help withdrawal unless i was getting high blood pressure and really bad hot/cold flashes. Usually though i get low BP and always feel cold. On it's own i never found Clonidine to work very good as a withdrawal med but combined with a Benzo for sleep, a decent anti-nausea drug such as Promethazine, Prochlorperazine, Chlorpromazine aka Largactil aka good ol Thorazine or even Methotrimeprazine (brand name Nozinan), a anti-histamine to stop the runny nose and watering eyes (another thing Promethazine works good for) along with a sleeping ill like Zopiclone, Temazepam or a really super sedating anti-psychotic like Methotrimeprazine i found it pretty much covered most of the symptoms of withdrawal. However combining it with certain meds such as some anti-psychotics such as Quetiapine or Thorazine/Largactil can cause your BP to drop too low. I usually only bother with it if i am in severe intense withdrawal and am burning up and have high blood pressure. Clonidine is one of the standard meds they prescribe for Opiate withdrawal though.

Another thing to remember is that Clonidine can cause physical dependence and abrupt withdrawal can be life threatening. So if you stay on it very long you are going to have to taper your dose very slowly as stopping it to quick can cause a stroke among other things.