• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Magnesium Supplement Question

TINK

Bluelighter
Has anyone here had any experience using magnesium supplements to treat medical issues?

Whats the best form for absorption and the best doseage? And, how do you curb those pesky side effects?

I was diagnosed after lab tests, with low levels of magnesium in my blood, which my doctor says is causing alot of my health issues. I had 2 infusions, but now I need to get on a oral supplement and not sure which will be the best.

Any information will be appreciated.

What pesky side effects do you mean? The only ones I have are increased bowl movements but thats only if I take over 1000mg at a time. And these are just in pill form.

Well with the infusions I am getting extremely bad heartburn, gas and bloating.

what for are you taking?
citrate, sulfate, oxide,glycinate or malate??

or are you taking it with a 2 to 1 ratio with calcium

Yeah I'm taking it with a 2 to 1 ratio. Its 89% magnesium oxide and 11% magnesium amino acid chelate.

I take 400 mg of Magnesium Glycinate every morning and I don't have any side effects at all.

Magnesium taurate, glycinate, and citrate are all decent forms. I personally take magnesium oxide but only because it's cheap as hell and was the only form available at the time. I plan on taking the taurate version.

I've been taking magnesium supplements for about 18 months and I've never had any side effects. My dose ranges from 200mg to 400mg per day.

At the moment I'm taking magnesium in tablet form, which is actually primarily a calcium supplement because I felt that's what was lacking from my nutrition the most at the moment. I chose this product because it has the magnesium in there as well as an added bonus =D

So technically yes I am taking (more than) 2:1 calcium to magnesium ratio.

I have tried powdered supplements before (with exactly 2:1 Ca to Mg ratio) and it honestly didn't seem to work as well as tablet form. I don't know why that was.

Aviod citrate and oxide at all costs.

At all costs?? That's a bit extreme don't you think? :D

If a magnesium oxide supplement is all you can obtain/afford, that's better than nothing isn't it?

I agee with n3o..
I actually take magnesium citrate when I roll because it helps with my grinding... I don't really see any reason why you'd need to avoid, it....

yeah i take 2 x 250mg magnesium oxide daily, i started taking magnesium due to body building, i find the magnesium really helps the recovery of muscles are helps me sleep better, but thats just me, could be a placebo. altho i have been taking them for over a year now

At all costs?? That's a bit extreme don't you think? :D

If a magnesium oxide supplement is all you can obtain/afford, that's better than nothing isn't it?

No it isn't better than nothing. Better than nothing would be a diet rich in macro minerals or something like that. Supplementing MgO is bad because it is a known pro-oxidant(magnesium.....oxide? get it? yes? jk ;)) and most of the negative effects I hear about are from the citrate(They also both have low BAs). And since chelate is just as cheap yeah avoid them at all costs.

It's like buying centrum because it's the only multi you can afford :| NO NO NO

Last edited:
No it isn't better than nothing. Better than nothing would be a diet rich in macro minerals or something like that. Supplementing MgO is bad because it is a known pro-oxidant(magnesium.....oxide? get it? yes? jk ;)) and most of the negative effects I hear about are from the citrate(They also both have low BAs). And since chelate is just as cheap yeah avoid them at all costs.

you gota be joking me :(
i take centrum daily, mainly cause its the only vitamin which doesnt taste absolutely terrible!!!
is there anything wrong with centrum, i personally find it quite exspensive :!

Lol what's wrong with Centrum?? =D

I do see your point though re: oxide and citrate and BAs and whatnot. It doesn't mean I'm going to stop taking my magnesium oxide supplement though. I drink enough green tea every day to possibly counteract any oxidation that may occur. Right?

Centrum(and many other companies) use the cheapest and easiest to synthesize form of the vitamin. This often leads to little if any synergy between nutrients, and low BAs all around. No enteric coating either :\ You'd be lucky to get 40% of the vits and mins out of a tab of centrum.
Compare centrum's forumla with what I take and tell me centrum is not garbage.

Centrum's Mutli
NSFW:

Vitamin A 1000 IU
Beta-Carotene 3000 IU
Vitamin E 25 IU
Vitamin C 90 mg
Folic Acid 0.4 mg
Vitamin B1 2.25 mg
Vitamin B2 3.2 mg
Niacin 15 mg
Vitamin B6 3 mg
Vitamin B12 14 mcg
Vitamin D 400 IU
Biotin 45 mcg
Pantothenic Acid 10mg
Calcium 175 mg
Phosphorus 125 mg
Iodine 0.15 mg
Iron 10 mg
Magnesium 50
Copper 2 mg
Lutein 250 mcg

My Multi (AOR Ortho-Core Multi)

NSFW:

Vitamins

Vitamin A Complex
Retinol (Palmitate) 150mcg
Alpha Carotene 1.6mg
Beta Carotene 6mg
Vitamin C (Magnesium Ascorbate) 120mg
Vitamin D3 (Cholecalciferol) 25mcg
Vitamin E (As Alpha-Tocopherol) 15mg
Menatetrenone (MK-4) 120mcg

Vitamin B Complex B1 (Thiamin) 9mg
B2 (Riboflavin) 2.5mg
B3 (Niacin - As 126 Mg Inositol Hexanicotinate) 115mg
B6 (Pyridoxal-5'-Phosphate) 100mg
Folic Acid 800mcg
B12 (Methylcobalamin) 647mcg
Biotin 300mcg 100%
B5 (D-Ca Pantothenate) 100mg

Minerals

Calcium (Calcium Carbonate, Citrate-Malate, D-Ca Pantothenate) 300mg
Iodine (Potassium Iodide) 150mcg
Magnesium (Aspartate, Oxide, Ascorbate, Chlorophyllin) 210mcg
Zinc (Citrate) 11mg
Selenium (Se-Methylselenocysteine) 55mcg
Copper (Citrate) 1.5mg
Manganese (Glycinate) 2.3mg
Chromium (Picolinate) 100mcg
Molybdenum (Na Molybdate) 45mcg
Potassium (Chloride) 50mg
Boron (Citrate) 700mcg
Silicon (Na Metasilicate) 25mg
Strontium (Citrate) 1.5mg
Vanadium (Picolinate) 18mcg

Biotransformation Conjugates:
R(+)- Lipoic Acid 150mg
Co-Enzyme Q10 (Ubidecarenone) 30mg
Green Tea Extract (45% EgCG; 1% Caffeine) 140mg
N-Acetylcysteine (NAC) 200mg

Phytonutrient Complex
Chlorophyllin Complex 150mg
Trans-Resveratrol 1.8mg
Pomegranate Extract (40% Ellagic Acid) 100mg
Sulforaphane (From Broccoli Sprout Extract) 7.1mg

Natural-Source Mixed Carotenoids
Lutein 6.8mg
Zeaxanthin 314mcg
Astaxanthin 2mg
Lycopene 10mg
Cryptoxanthin 300mcg

Vitamin E Complex
Tocopherols 86mg
Beta Tocopherol 2mg
Gamma Tocopherol 60mg
Delta Tocopherol 24mg
Tocotrienol 10mg
Alpha Tocotrienol 3mg
Beta Tocotrienol 0.3mg
Gamma Tocotrienol 6mg
Delta Tocotrienol 1.3mg
Choline (From Bitartrate)
Inositol (From Inositol, Inositol Hexanicotinate)
Mixed Citrus Bioflavonoids (25% ) 100mg
Quercetin Dihydrate (85% Quercetin) 76mg

I drink enough green tea every day to possibly counteract any oxidation that may occur. Right?
I can't say for sure. But oxidation is not this evil thing we have to stop at all costs, and many biological processes rely heavily on the redox system. This whole antioxidant/radical thing has gotten a little out of hand in the recent years IMO, but that's another show I suppose...
But yes, keep drinking green tea. It has sooo many other benefits besides it's antioxidant power.

This whole antioxidant/radical thing has gotten a little out of hand in the recent years IMO, but that's another show I suppose...

Oh my word yes, "anti-oxidants" just seems to be another buzz word that advertising companies can use to sell their products to people wanting a healthier option.

^^^ wow nice vitamin, perhaps ill consider trying sometime, my immune system is complete n utter shite so i must keep up with the multi vits.
a huge huge amount of people believe red wine has antioxidant characteristics is this correct??

^Yes this is the compound (trans)resveratrol. It's actually red grapes that contain all those yummy proanthocyanidins(specifically the seeds of the grapes). Red wine dosen't have too much of it honestly so I take a grapeseed extract as well with my stack. Extract powder is super cheap online but if you wanna drink wine pinot noir grapes have the best antioxidant profile. :)

^^ thanks for the detailed reply, everytime someone on bluelight manages to know a shit load about something :)

Try going with a powder.
Your body will find it heaps easy to absorb.

I take 280mg~ magnesium (chelate)
daily in a product called Ultra Muscleze.
It's got a bunch of B's,
a few amino acids,
ect.

It's a bit pricey but
I haven't noticed any side effects except awesomeness.