Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Research chemicals in Australia

SupaspeeD

Bluelighter
Okay, there's plenty of info in other drugs with regards to ordering research chems, legality, etc, but i would like to know of any experiences, problems, etc that anyone has had specifically realting to an Australian experience. i've read erowid, and the info is sketchy, with "informants" sounding like they don't have a comprehensive legal knowledge - which, in the end, will be the thing that will be important if shit hits the fan.
Feel free to provide any information/experiences as well, maybe we could even get a FAQ for all the Australian psychonauts.
Now looking at the legality of it all, (being a law student), i'm sitting here with my Criminal Code QLD (which perthies, your code is based on as well, most states are relatively similar) and i don't see any express mention of (not naming names) several of the available psychadelic compounds. Therefore that rules out possession, supply, etc at a state level? correct? wrong?
That leaves the federal Customs Act s233B which covers importation, supply and holding imported chemicals which are schedule, which they are (in analogues lists and all that - a few refs on BL to these are around). Now the thing that got my attention, is this quote from scetion 233B(1A) which states, for importation.. "but it is a defence if the person proves that he did not know that the goods (gap - my edit) had been imported into Australia in contravention of this Act"
So, assuming someone does get caught importing certain things, is it a complete defence to plead ignorance? smart pills - not psychadelic hallucinagens? hopefully ISP numbers wouldn't be traced back to BL
wink.gif
So i guess my real question is this, if you have used research chems in australia, without trouble, how did you import them, did you get any (professional) legal advice, did they rock, etc.
[edit - email addy removed]
ok, thanks for your time, i hope i get some responses.
thaSpeeD
[ 28 August 2002: Message edited by: SupaspeeD ]

Can't say I've done such, but I am amazed by the apparent ambiguous definitions of the Analogues Act. If there was ever grey areas of law, surely this would be one.
As I understand from others' interpretations (not necessarily correct!), the act covers;
1)Scheduled chems with functional group changes
2) Salts of scheduled chems.
3) Any substance that appears *similar*, or is designed to mimic a scheduled substance, or could be used as a precursor to any ....
Therefore if you discovered a substance with properties similar to MDMA, that
description by definition could make it illegal.
And of course selling anything by claiming it to be something illegal, even if it is actually sugar, carries the same penalties as if it was the claimed substance.
There was once talk in Queensland from Health officials, of banning Herbal E's, even though they contained no listed chems. It never happened of course but it makes you wonder what such laws could be used for.
I have yet to sight this act although I've been told that when Australia introduced the law, it was formatted on an early US model. The US subsequently amended it there to make it fairer. People were being charged without any evidence, merely association.
(sorry about a lack of references here)
As to specifically defining the words "analogue" or "substantially similar", check out Alexandra Shulgin's interesting story at the E conference in Feb. 2001 http://www.soros.org:8080/ramgen/tlc/Ecstasy2-02-02-01.rm
[~37 mins in]
Another couple of questions:
Does anyone know of a person ever being charged under this Analogs law in Australia?
Anyone know of an web address, where this Act can be sighted?
mmmm...or perhaps it's better not to read ... ignorance is possibly safer!!
phase_dancer
[This message has been edited by phase_dancer (edited 29 May 2001).]

Phase, as pertains to commonwealth legislation, the relevant act is the customs act which can be found here:
http://www.austlii.edu.au/
just do a legislation search on the commonwealth level, and the customs act should come up with all its amendments, etc.
If you want to find out how it currently stands (without all the internet fricking around) go to your local university law library, where the acts will be in alphabetical order. I think a list of all prohibited substances is listed as a regulations act possibly.
For QLD, the regulations are listed after the DMA in my crim text book for my convenience. No mention of various chems, although isomers, salts, derivatives are covered.
check www.qld.gov.au and hit legislation online, and look for the Drugs Misuse Act 1986 and the Drugs Misuse Regulation (if you a qlder - most states are similar tho).
Has anyone "accidentally" imported anything?

You can email/phone/mail customs and get a written statement saying it's legal for you to import them, then at least if it ever goes to court you have something to work with.
------------------
You have to run as fast as you can just to stay where you are.
If you want to get anywhere, you'll have to run much faster.
--Lewis Carroll
[This message has been edited by Acid_Reign (edited 29 May 2001).]

Anyone's experiences?
Thanks, Acid Reign, i had considered that, but i was thinking, what grounds do i have to be importing said compounds... i dont't want to be arousing suspicion.
Loopholes are such fun.
So, any experiences, with some of the more "exotic" chems. Back when i first joined, i remember leprechaun being one hell of a psychonaut...

I have imported 3 grams each of 2C-T-7 and 5-MeO-DiPT every three months for over a year.
It is legal to do so for personal use, so long as you only import 3 months supply at a time.
Check out the "Therapeutic Goods Act".
------------------
And the Mission is the Mouse...

Nice one bruv.. you know the territory i was heading in...
Amsterdam smart shops?
Thanks for the input guys.

You were talking about ordering the blue mystic(2c-t-7), yah?
That shit can be seized because 2c-t-7 is illegal if it's sold for human consumption.

Yes, along with other things. So, you've tried to order the blue mystic or not?
I'm thinking definately along those lines.
If so, how can this be circumvented? What other reason would there be other than consumption? Is it a case of CD cleaner vs GHB?
thanks,
SD

No, i haven't personally. But i know of couple of people who have had blue mystic seized by customs. One guy was in america and the other was in ozzie.
The problem with blue mysic is that it's in a pill form and the packaging boasts that it's a very potent drug
smile.gif
If you want to order it, the safest way would be to order from a research chemical supplier.
And rememebr, nothing cleans a stubborn drain like 2c-t-7!

Anyone know that status of salvia divinorium?
Particularly processed extracts which contain a known amount of salvinorin A.

Biscuit
Most plant material will get you into trouble with the quarantine guys.
Your best bet is your local nursery.
Salvinorin A (5x and 10x) shold be OK.
If you want to play safe, apply for a ruling first.
------------------
And the Mission is the Mouse...