Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Advice on needing needles...

*chaoscat*

Bluelighter
Ok, [disclaimer] firstly I am not trying to put down anyone for their drug taking choices mmm'kay?
I have a relative who takes speed occasionally, but says she can't help but inject it when she has it (in her words "if you're going to do it, do it properly, it wastes it if you take it other ways")... now I think she would like to be talked out of it if possible, however since I have never injected anything, I feel like my advice is just speculation, and don't want to sound like I am preaching to her.
All I can say to her is the reasons why I wouldn't/don't do it, which I've done, but she still can't help herself.
What are some good reasons not to do it, and does anyone have some negative personal iv experiences they would like to share???
I know some of you hardcorey's would probably have some really negative experiences, but as she only does it occasionally some of the major addiction problems might not apply to her (yet
frown.gif
).
If you have injected drugs in the past, but do not anymore, what was it that made you stop???
Thanks HEAPS everyone...
(and sorry to any speedfreaks who have just read this and are now thinking "I want some now!" Don't do it mannnn, it's icky
smile.gif
)
------------------
"Go peddle your kippers elsewhere clown" - Ren Hoek

ok, this is just a calculated guess.
But speed can contain a substantial amount of impurities, that goes for for uncut stuff as well.
Some of the chemicals used in the manufacturing process are pretty nasty and corrosive. I cant really get more specific with the type of chemicals than that, other people on BL know more about that than i do.
Go here to get the nuts and bolts of it. http://www.erowid.org
Anyway, the point is that not all batches of speed are the same, you dont know how pure it is or what its been cut with.
I would have thought that the danger of mainlining is that your going straight to the blood stream and if some impurity gets in there and goes straight through your system you could have a serious adverse reaction. Its not unheard of.
If speed is ingested, (snorted or eaten, whatever) at least there is some sort of 'filtering' process and it is broken down to some degree.
Personally i think using needles with drugs are bad news, there are so many risks that come with using them. Yes, some of those risks can be avoided if your careful but i still dont think its worth it. Just my opinion.
Hope this helps...

In reply to Orion's post...
Damn right man. I heard a story last week about a chick that was cutting her speed with *gravox*! Yes, she got beaten up, but what would happen if you injected that??
Heard it as a true story... whether it is or not, it reinforces Orions point.

From what I've heard
wink.gif
speed is a totally different drug when you inject it.
It's like comparing bongs to joints.. it's basically the same drug after a few minutes, but doing it one way you get a complete RUSH (which can last from 2 minutes, up to 2 hours!!) and the other way it just creeps up on you little by little..
and it's the rush that is the addictive part..
But anyway.. just tell her she's a skank if she keeps on doing it.. and no-one likes skanky hoes..
I hope that helps.. (for some reason I don't think it will
smile.gif
)
richie.

My mum works in a hospital/psych ward and quite frequently gets people admitted [not always junkies] that have fucked up injecting. They crush up pills, dilute cut speed, basically anything for a high. Not only have you cut the liver out of the equation [to filter out bad stuff] you can get blood clots, collapsed veins and all sorts of infections.
If the risk of addiction and/or psychosis isn't enough to deter your friend, I'm not sure what is. Tell her to watch Requiem - the bit where Jared gets his festy arm boil. That would put me off. Ew.

That's why if you're going to inject (IM/IV) hygiene and technique should be paramount. If you don't know how to inject properly, don't just take a stab at it (pun intended). Perhaps consider taking a course to learn how to do it properly, various first aid and nursing courses teach the proper techniques for IM/IV injection.
However, the greater threat in my opinion is that of compromised hygiene. As people have mentioned above, by injecting directly into muscles/bloodstream you bypass all your bodies natural filtration systems. Introduction of solid particles or undissolved chemicals into your blood system is not a good thing, and the risk of getting a systemic infection in your veins would be enough to scare me away. I understand that it's not fun having septicemia.
There's a couple more things to think about.
BigTrancer
smile.gif

------------------
Load universe into cannon. Aim at brain. Shoot.

As Milkybar mentioned, one of the greater risks of injecting drugs, especially when it comes to inexperienced users, is the lack of proper sterilisation. Unclean preparation of the needle and the shit can lead to massive seeping boils and sores that don't go away, not to mention blood poisoning, AIDS etc... Trust me, I've seen first hand how fucking gross some of the sores are you can get from stuffing up a hit, and it's so not worth it.
Tell her to smoke shabu or something, still not good for you, but debatably better than shooting up.

if she does it regularly maybe she does it properly? ie safely.
Done correctly, IV use is the safest way. It's just that it has the worst public perception.
Why do you want to talk her out of using needles? If it's because of their stigma then that's the wrong reason imo.

i have to agree with the pope.
if shes doing it properly, it is the optimum way to take your drugs.
BUT, if shes the type to go overboard on things, then its a cause for concern.

entropope - please tell me how taking it iv is "the safest way"??? How can it be "safer" than swallowing it for example?
Also, no matter how correctly you do it, unless you personally are a doctor getting medical grade drugs, you are never able to know exactly what you are injecting... what bt said! It would be riskier for that reason alone...
I don't necessarily want to talk her out of it, what she does is her own business, but as I said in my original post, the way she mentioned it to me, it was definitely like she was indicating that she wanted to be talked out of it. She was asking for help... have since seen her and she says she doesn't think she'll do it again anyway, so I guess when she first mentioned it to me she was motivating herself not to do it... unfortunately that might change depending on who she's around... damn peer pressure of "skanky hoes"!
No offence intended to any skanky hoes - stay skanky
biggrin.gif

------------------
"Go peddle your kippers elsewhere clown" - Ren Hoek

As soon as I get some time I'll rewrite the whole FAQ type thing that I write about IV use that people always get so scared and defensive about.
Till then... you'll just have to continue not trusting me on this one
smile.gif

Something to think about in the meantime perhaps, is the opportunity when using IV to filter what goes in to your body (ie before it enters your body) as oppossed to just snorting/eating whatever the fuck is on the table/mirror/CD in front of you. And by doing so negating most of the systemic infection risk. Add in some other precautions, and you negate any risk at all there.... but I don't have time to get started... cos I won't stop!
smile.gif
I'll post sometime later this week or on the w/e... if it seems that there's any point. I may not bother... cos most people are set in their "needles are icky and oh so dangerous!" thoughts and there's no point giving them an alternative point of view.
smile.gif
If you're willing to consider points both for and against IV use... I'll bother. If you're not and you're set in your negative view of IV use, then I won't. I'm not critisisng that, most people are that way, and I don't have time over the next 4 weeks to put in effort for what would become a mute point.
But if you'll consider then I'm happy to put in the effort!
[This message has been edited by entropope (edited 30 May 2001).]

Ok, entropope...
Before you do your FAQ thingo I'll give you a few of my own personal resons for not wanting to go IV that others might have that you might be able to address. I'm interested to hear the rebuttal and possibly be swayed as others probably are.
Anyway, here's why I wouldn't inject myself:
- risk of infection
- inconvenience [compared to injesting say in a club]
- increased effects of drug not high enough to justify effort needed to use needle safely
- aversion to piercing own skin [ouch]
- fear of collapsed vein / track marks
- drugs hit me hard enough as it is
smile.gif

- prefer the longer-lasting effects of ingestion
- the absence of a "filter"
That's all I can think of I think...
Hope u answer because I think IV use remains a mystery to most and this is all about information sharing is it not?

Milkybar : I'm gonna rebut till ent stops being busy
smile.gif

- "increased effects of drug not high enough to justify effort needed to use needle safely
" and "prefer the longer-lasting effects of ingestion"
How do you know unless you've tried it?!
- "fear of collapsed vein / track marks"
If you know what your doing you won't get collased veins or even the tiniest trackmark, if you don't you probably will.
- "aversion to piercing own skin [ouch]"
I've had needles put in my veins for medical reasons before and it didn't hurt, i think it's due to the needle being so sharp.
- "risk of infection"
- "the absence of a 'filter'"
To quote ent,
"Something to think about in the meantime perhaps, is the opportunity when using IV to filter what goes in to your body (ie before it enters your body) as oppossed to just snorting/eating whatever the fuck is on the table/mirror/CD in front of you. And by doing so negating most of the systemic infection risk. Add in some other precautions, and you negate any risk at all there"
I feel i should say that I've never injected anything and don't have any plans to in the future. I do however recognise that there is way to much stigma attatched with IV/IM use. People are frowned upon for sticking a needle in their arm, while someone who inserts a small chunk of ecstasy inside their ass just gets laughed at and mocked by his peers
smile.gif