• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Good alternative to Embeda?

violetiris

Greenlighter
Where I live there's currently a serious shortage of ALL Oxycodone products. After trying about 65 pharmacies last week I broke down and had my script filled at a sketchy pharmacy that wouldn't take my insurance so I had to pay out of pocket. I saw my MD today and asked if they would switch me to something easier to find.

Boy, was that a mistake. They switched me to 'Embeda' because (the nurse practitioner said) they "Just Love the abuse proof mechanism"

She also took me from 60mg a day (every 8 hours) of OxyContin to 40 Mg a day Embeda (every 12 hours) and I am already dying here.

First, I've searched all over the internet and there seems to be a wide variety of conversion tables. What would be an equal amount of Embeda compared to 20 mg Oxycontin?

And, is there any other medication I can suggest to them that is also 'abuse proof' so they'll be happy? I suggested MSContin today and she gave me Embeda. I'm not going to be able to continue this anyway because it's so expensive and new that my insurance won't cover it.

I have no problem with getting a medication that's 'abuse proof' since I don't snort or inject them anyway. I just want something that actually works and provides the same energy or euphoria or whatever you want to call it, that the oxycodone products do.

When I say this, I should clarify that when I take my meds I don't feel 'high' per se. I just feel 'normal' and have the energy to get out of bed. When I wake in the morning I usually take my meds, go back to sleep for 15-20 min and then wake up and feel well enough to get up. Otherwise every muscle in my body aches, especially my feet (which is why I am taking it in the first place) and I really can't walk unless I wait for my meds to 'kick in'. This Morphine just doesn't feel like anything more than advil. I still feel like my pain level is about a 5 and normally, without meds, it's a 7.

Is Opana abuse proof?

I would greatly appreciate if anyone knows of a better medication that a doctor would feel ok prescribing because it isn't readily abused and if you could give me a decent conversion rate.

And, I did use the search engine but I found no helpful information on Embeda, so I started this thread.

I swear, I trust the people here on BL more than my MD. Thank goodness she gave me four 30mg Morphine IR's to supplement the Embeda with until we get the dosage right. So far, I've taken 80mg Embeda and 90mg Morphine IR and I still don't have the same pain relief that I get with my Oxy.

And, what's up with the shortage? Will it be over soon?

Thanks BLers!

embeda has morphine and naltrexone. im assuming its an ultra low dose of naltrexone.

OPANA is considered abuse proof. go with that.

Thanks! Opana is what I would prefer anyway. Now I just have to convince my MD. Is it 'normal' for morphine to cause more urinary retention and insomnia than oxy? Because I've been up and down all night and I know I need to pee but I just can't. What are the more common side effects of morphine that are not so common for oxy?

Urinary retention, I have found, with Morph is the worst of all opiates I have taken.

Also the fucking ITCHINESS!!! Gaaaahhh!!

Still nice though.

I'd try and switch back. I'm DYING to try oxy, but we don't seem to have this one in Britain; at least not from any dealers I've encountered.

Same with alprazolam :(

Where I live there's currently a serious shortage of ALL Oxycodone products. After trying about 65 pharmacies last week I broke down and had my script filled at a sketchy pharmacy that wouldn't take my insurance so I had to pay out of pocket. I saw my MD today and asked if they would switch me to something easier to find.

I'm gonna guess you didn't go to 65 different pharmacies, but called them up.
NO pharmacy is going to tell you if they have Oxycodone formulations in stock as a policy.

BayBex,

Actually, I did go to 65 pharmacies. I started Sunday night with all the 24 hour ones in Broward county and North Palm Beach then, Monday I drove around about a 10 mile radius from my house.

Thanks for the heads up though, I did actually know that they would not tell me on the phone. Just an FYI for anyone out there suffering the same situation, I have had success with Wal Mart telling me over the phone if they have meds in stock. The trick is to immediately tell them the number of pills you require. "Hi, my name is Violet and I'm a reg, customer at your store. I'm calling to find out if you have 60 tablets of XMG XYZ in stock, last time I went in you were out."

This little script works sometimes. I usually call pharms while I'm in the car driving to and fro to go in person. I never call CVS or Walgreens though, except the Walgreens with my reg. pharmacist who knows me by name.

But yeah, about 65 pharmacies. I was one pissed off grumpy human being!