Forum Rules Film Chit-Chat
    Recently Watched Best Documentaries
    ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Film & TV Moderators: ghostfreak

VOLTRON: Defender of the Universe

ArcsAngles

Ex-Bluelighter
voltron-header.jpg

If done right, this could be especially epic!

Here are the new images for some concept art being submitted by Atlas Entertainment Group

voltronexcl1-big.jpg

voltronexcl2-big.jpg

voltronexcl3-big.jpg

I'm extremely excited and hope for the best!

I loved Voltron as a kid. Even more than transformers and GI JOE.

Pilots control Voltron. Transformers are sentient machines.

Other than that.. No real difference. They are both kickass fighting robots.

we all know that robots are cool, but gigantic robotic animals that merge into humanoid robots are much cooler.

plus, Voltron was here first....and is way cooler

Voltron is one of the great iconic brands from the '80s, and a lot of people don't know this but in its heyday it outperformed The Transformers. ..

Last edited:
i have to admit that i'd like to see them stay more true to the original Voltron, whereas this Concept Art looks more like Micheal Bays' Transformers.

^no it doesn't. you can actually see the parts in voltron and the joints and shit. the bay robots are a perpetual mess of blur. a good chunk of my hate for those films are the character designs. it's like white noise and it just puts me to sleep. i haven't been able to stay awake for either of those movies, ever. not for the pirated copies given to us, not for the blu-ray version rented for the missus.

yes it does. and there is actually an easy comparison right in the OP. in the very first picture you have a random conceptual representation of Voltron that matches the american cartoon version nearly verbatim. contrast that with the second conceptual representation in the second pic and you have a completely different representation that VERY CLOSELY resembles the style of micheal bays' Transformers.

in teh first picture, there is no need to point out the fact that this is a direct representation of VOLTRON

the second pic has a clear distinction of style, with an inner skeleton of wires and stuff, covered by an exoskeleton and it's all VERY similar, not exactly like, but VERY similar to Micheal Bays Transformers and I just hope that they go with something like the first photo.

Hmmm. Maybe if they mixed the art styles. The first one is, yeah, truer to the original, but I find it a little uncreative. I agree that the others are too MB Transformers. I like the look of the blue lion in the last photo though.

I was a huge fan of this as a kid too! It won my heart before Transformers really kicked off. So they never really captured my attention as much as the former (I tended to get obsessed with one thing at a given time).

I wasn't expecting plans for a movie though. I don't remember Voltron being quite popular enough. I remember being the only kid on my street to get the toy for Christmas lol.

So, when you see me on the real, formin like Voltron
Remember I got deep like a navy SEAL!

It's ON!

voltron.jpg

A few days ago it was reported all over the place that plans for the live-action Voltron movie had collapsed and died, and instead a new animated series was in the works. Well I just new something smelt fishy and now it seems I was right.

Speaking to MTV, producers Richard Suckle and Ted Koplar of Atlas Entertainment were quick to deny that the Voltron movie is dead and assured fans that the movie is still in development. In fact, the duo claim that they’re very close to hiring a new screenwriter, here is what they had to say:

“We’ve been working over the last several months meeting with various screenwriters, and we’re actually on the cusp of securing an A-level screenwriter who’s going to write the “Voltron” movie. That’s all part of the plan here: reintroducing the brand to the fans who’ve watched over the last 25 years and to a new generation. We are very close to securing a screenwriter who’s going to actually write the feature version — so that’s always been part of the plan.”
They also confirm that once a new screenwriter is onboard, they’ll be scrapping all previous versions of the script – a development that was made clear back in April when it was announced that director Max Makowski (Taboo) was no longer on the project and that screenplays by Justin Marks (Street Fighter: The Legend of Chun-Li) and Jeff Davis (Criminal Minds) had been abandoned in favor of rebooting the film.

With that being the case, the producers addressed which direction this latest incarnation of Voltron will take.

“It’s not like we’re doing anything far different from the source material other than to make it a character-driven film. The effects, the 3-D… The eye candy is the easy part. It’s got to be a movie that has really dynamic, interesting characters and a really strong narrative. You know the eye candy is going to be there, because it’s part of the fabric of the original material. So that character-driven element is really what we’re focusing on, and that’s what the writers that we’ve been talking to have been told about what we want and what we’re looking for.”

They hope to have the film ready for the 2013 summer release, but nothing is certain at this point as the project is not set up at any studio. Still, fans should be pleased to learn that all hope is not lost and that plans are still in place to get Voltron up on the big screen in a live action format.

^

That article basically says: we have no script, we have no scriptwriter, we have no studio, we probably have no money, and we've abandoned previous plans... but we want to do it!

In other words... development hell.

Somebody will bump this thread in 2015 with another article claiming it's in the pipework. :D

mechanical feline vehicles which combine to form a giant robot is a story which can only work in cheap 80's japanese animation, and that is where it should stay.

i still haven't seen astro boy.