• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Doctors warn of Prop. 19's 'collateral damage'

spini4

Bluelighter
NEWPORT BEACH -- The California Society of Addiction Medicine has taken no official position on Proposition 19, the ballot initiative that would legalize cultivation, possession and use of small amounts of marijuana. However, the doctors' group strongly urged voters Wednesday to consider the "collateral damage" caused by the measure's passage -- namely, the impact on young people.

The president of the San Francisco-based group, Dr. Timmen Cermak, uttered those words during a morning-long workshop called "Medical Aspects of Cannabis." He added that, should Prop. 19 pass Tuesday, it could create another 500,000 to 800,000 marijuana addicts in California.

Funds raised through taxing cannabis should be used to treat those addicts, as well as create warning labels and study the law's consequences, Cermak said.

Cermak, speaking to a hotel conference room filled with addiction doctors and counselors from around the state, acknowledged that a survey taken by the group showed that its membership is almost evenly divided between those in favor and those opposed to Prop. 19. So he refuses to endorse or condemn the measure. The group has instead sought to educate voters on the science of marijuana -- what it does to the body and the brain.

The star of the event was Krista Lisdahl Medina, an assistant professor of psychology at the University of Cincinnati, whose slideshow presentation outlined in great detail how marijuana inhibits motor function, memory and cognitive skill among young people, whose brains continue developing well into their 20s.

In a study of subjects age 18-26, even a group who had abstained from smoking pot for a month showed cognitive deficits compared with a control group. Short-term tasks were easy to remember, Medina said, but they struggled with more complex ones.

What's worse, there's no way to precisely estimate the recovery time needed for heavy smokers, she said. "We hope that with a few more months there would be a greater recovery, because there's a lot of plasticity in the brain."

continued at http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/39879784

Weed is accessible to anyone at any age right now, if not easier to get even with prop 19 not in law. I use to smoke almost everyday for the past 3 years and I quit cold turkey going on 3 months now without any negative side effects or any urges to get back on it. So this article is full of it.

I'm addicted to weed and it definitely has affected my memory negatively, but making it illegal just so it doesn't temp me to take it doesn't help.

What about all the collateral damage caused by the war on drug users? How many lives have been ruined by criminal convictions for the simple act of smoking a little weed at the end of a work day? I don't care for weed myself, but I don't think it should be a crime for adults who enjoy it.

Prop 19 would have more positive impacts on society than collateral-damage impacts

but try saying that drugs can be a good thing, if used correctly, and that society can adapt to them and acquire the emotional intelligence/awareness necessary if drugs are not kept underground with misinformation prevalent... and you get called a nut :)

Laws don't create drug addicts, that's quite possibly the most retarded thing I have ever read.

Legalize it, if only for the sake of California not sinking into the ocean

All i know is all my life especially when i was younger like high school age weed was easier to get than alcohol because all i had to do was hit a dealer up. Hell i could get it in 5 min at school. dealers dont ask for id. So i dont understand how legalization would create more addicts if anything i think it would help keep pot out of middle and high schools. I do think the fine for buying for minors should be increased along with legalization. YES on 19.

It takes bravery to make ignorant statements that fly in the face of historical precedent (Holland, Portugal).

I trust doctors less and less as I learn more and more.

It takes bravery to make ignorant statements that fly in the face of historical precedent (Holland, Portugal).

I trust doctors less and less as I learn more and more.

Quoted for fucking truth. No question about it there, doctors/goverment just keep adding reason after reason to not trust them,especially when it comes to drugs

If weed were legal mexicans wouldn't be profitting so much. More buisness for americans!