View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Tackle children's alcohol misuse 'early', urges report

7zark7

Bluelight Crew
[size=+1]Tackle children's alcohol misuse 'early', urges report[/size]
23 October 2010

The charity Alcohol Concern has issued a stark warning about the number of children drinking at dangerous levels.

It has published a report estimating the cost of hospital treatment for underage drinkers in England to be about £19m a year.

And the number of under-18s ending up in hospital after drinking too much is rising, the charity has warned.

Young people should be given more support it says, but one expert said parents also have a role to play.

Alcohol Concern's report, entitled Right Time, Right Place, states that alcohol contributes to 5% of young people's deaths - 1.4% more than in the adult population - and is "a significant problem for the UK".

The UK also has the highest rates of teenage alcohol-related injuries in Europe.

Full article: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-11605549

[size=+1]Alcohol Concern calls for end of 'pocket money' alcohol[/size]
23 October 2010

A call has made for an end to the "pocket money" price of shop-bought alcohol fuelling under-age drinking.

Alcohol Concern Cymru said shop deals mean the weekly recommended alcohol limit for a man can be bought for less than £4 and a woman's for under £3.

It backs Welsh Assembly Government ministers' bid for power on alcohol licensing and pricing.

The charity said it wanted to see the unit price of alcohol raised to 50p as a way of deterring under-age drinking.

Full article: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-11609509

The UK needs to ban some more random research chemicals and make stories up about them before this problem really gets out of hand! SOMEBODY DO SOMETHING

Im not from the UK so maybe im missing the point. But are they saying if they raise the price of booze kids will stop drinking?

People that think this, do they have much power in the uk?

look the way it is is booze is cheap here and people drink a lot, me for one out of boredom (i just feel so bored i wanna hit someone without a drink to mellow the repetition of everday life). the government know that if they raise the price too much then people will drink less and overall tax may fall depending on how straight/parabolous the demand and supply curves for alcohol are. if they were gonna make more tax off having booze be way more expensive then they would have done it already. these things have been researched by the gov who currently have fuck all money...

^ Most addicts would probably sacrifice something else for at least their quota if their poison of choice went up in price, regardless of why.

Casual drinkers might be inclined to buy less if they don't crave as much, just a guess.

Laws like this will only further complicate things, if a large portion of people want to get intoxicated that is the direct issue at hand not price bumping.

I feel lucky to have read these articles.
Now, I will limit my 6-year old to 6 drinks a week.
If the government hadn't told me, I never would have suspected...