• MDMA &
    Empathogenic
    Drugs

Welcome Guest!
  • MDMA Moderators:

New to MDMA a few questions

rugbynmbr9

Greenlighter
I have never rolled but I have dropped an e bomb once. It was completely neutralized by the SSRI celexa I was taking. Basically wasted $7 on the pill. My question is whether or not I did the exact same damage to my brain by taking the pill but not rolling. I understand the pharmokinetics of MDMA that it is mistaken for serotonin and pumped into the pre-synaptic neuron where is lyses the serotonin vesicles releasing the NT into the cytoplasm. SSRI's prohibit the MDMA from being pumped into the cell so no roll. Is it the action of MDMA that causes the alleged brain damage or is it one of the 7 other known (or maybe an unknown) metabolites that causes damage to the brain?

Also on a side note, would eating lots of turkey, cheese and milk (high sources of L-Tryptophan) help deal with suicide tuesday?

Your brain will be fine.. In rats a dose of fluoxetine (an SSRI) administered a couple of hours after MDMA stopped all signs of neurotoxicity.

Is that your question?

Or are you planning on taking MDMA again?

If so those foods may help but it's best to just eat healthily all round. Take some anti-oxidents before you take the MDMA to reduce oxidative stress to neurones.

I've been taking dandelion root pills to clear my system so that I can roll. My question is whether or not the potential neuro toxicity from ecstasy come from the action of the drug or the action of a metabolite. If it were found that the metabolites were more harmful than the actual drug than wouldn't it mean that their could be an "antidote" that would act to stop MDMA from being broken down into the harmful metabolite. Also would removing this metabolite stop a roll. This is purely hypothetical of course but I think the FDA should study the effect of MDMA on those taking SSRI's to determine what it is that causes the alleged brain damage (MDMA or metabolite)

^ There's loads of studys on it.. search around.

AFAIK it is an active metabolite which is neurotoxic.. but there isn't really any way around it. Check out some thread in Advanced Drug Discussion.. theres 1 going now.

From a pro in ADD..

[1] The MD-bridge gets metabolized to the 3,4-dihydroxy-derivative, which is a redox-active ortho-quinone. This one can react e.g. with any thiol-sidechain nearby, thus deactivating any protein it meets.
Edit: I just saw that Turing Machine already named it.

[2] Yes, same problem for MDA as with MDMA, at least in theory.

Please note that the metabolites on their own are not solely responsible, but hyperthermia plays a significant role, too, as does dehydration and lack of antioxidant (read: vitamins 'n stuff).

Peace! - Murphy

From another one of the pro's in ADD.

Free radical oxidized versions of dopamine and serotonin will form regardless of whether or not the MDMA ring is o-demethylated I'm pretty sure. So, there's no way around it. It's already been shown that alpha-ethyl tryptamine is also a serotonergic neurotoxic, along with a number of other structurally unrelated tryptamines.

The problem is:
1. 5HT release
2. DA/NE release (oxidation occurs of this molecule because of peroxide produced from mitochondria when broken down by MAO-B)
3. 5HT2A/C agonism (elevated temperatures spur on the above)

The reason Naphthylisopropylamine is not neurotoxic is probably something to do with its lack of affinity for 5HT2A and just poor ability to release monoamines, coupled with long duration.