• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Student to fight drugs

20-year-old woman becomes top cop in violent Mexican municipality

By Arthur Brice, CNN
October 20, 2010 -- Updated 1752 GMT (0152 HKT)

Some headlines are hailing her as the bravest woman in Mexico. Marisol Valles Garcia, all of 20 years old, says she's just tired of everyone being afraid.

Valles Garcia, a criminology student, became the police chief this week of Praxedis G. Guerrero, one of the most violent municipalities in the border state of Chihuahua. She was the only person who accepted the top job in a police force whose officers have been abducted and even killed.

"Yes, there is fear," Valles Garcia said Wednesday in an interview with CNN en Español. "It's like all human beings. There will always be fear, but what we want to achieve in our municipality is tranquility and security."

There's good reason for the fear. Just this past weekend, a 59-year-old local mayor, Rito Grado Serrano, and his 37-year-old son, Rogoberto Grado Villa, were killed in a house in which they they were hiding in nearby Ciudad Juarez. Another area mayor was killed in June.

continued:
http://edition.cnn.com/2010/WORLD/americas/10/20/mexico.female.police.chief/?hpt=C1

better be riding bulletproof and strapped with an ak47 if she hopes to make it a month... mexicans are crazy nowadays

Why would she endanger herself with pretty much imminent death lol I can see them making an example of her..

Exactly, alot of ppl might be calling her brave and noble and all that but in a month when some gang member cuts her head off and puts it on a stick in front of the police station to send a message everyones going to be thinking how crazy she was not how brave she was. Will be very surprised if this doesnt end badly

I'm wondering how the hell she became a police officer to begin with? Women don't have equal rights in Mexico, so it's strange she would even be working let alone in law enforcement. I'm sure the cartels are all fighting to get their person in there anyway.. She's probably a plant by whatever cartel currently controls the politics in juarez, at the moment. no doubt a rival gang will have her taken out, to get their own in there. As soon as they get the upper hand they need. The shift in power is constantly happening over there. One week the juarez gang controls it, the next the gulf cartel, the zetas, the sinaloas... I wonder which she works for.

Well if you read about it theys sayz she is not going to try traditional policing methods ie she is not going to even try to stop the cartels. Instead, it seems she is going to take a social worker style force. It makes sense. She is redefining the mission as something they, the undermanned (no pun intended) and under-equipped forces, are able to actually maybe kinda do.

Novel approach. If she can stay out of the cartel's hair she may be okay. Although, there is the problem of "silver or lead." If she tries to refuse payment, they may kill her so who knows, just depends on how pragmatic she is.

Good luck to her. Hopefully they don't find her head on the side of the road. I have to say although brutal the cartel methods are effective. They make sure everyone knows who is in charge.

if she isn't already deeply in cartel pockets... I'd imagine the girl must have scored a used Pope-mobile or something off ebay, right?

very honorable thing to do, but at the end of the day the drug cartel is just gunna find em both and kill em