• ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
    Forum Rules Film Chit-Chat
    Recently Watched Best Documentaries
    ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Film & TV Moderators: ghostfreak

The Greatest Movie Star of our Time

ArcsAngles

Ex-Bluelighter
I'm not speaking of serious "film" actors. I'm talking about "MOVIE STARS".....

Other than Cary Grant, prolly the greatest of all time.....though, i'm not sure cuz

I think that Tom Cruise would prolly give him a good run for his money.

So that's my vote

Tom Cruise is the greatest "movie star" of our, and all, time.

To be clear: some distinctions between a "movie star" and "serious film actor" would be ....charisma over character....typecast over versatility... and such.

Some though, are so great that they blur the line, or even incapsulate both "movie star" and "film actor" such as.......Johnny Depp, Robin Williams and Gary Oldman, amongst a select few others.

Johnny Depp-Takes the number one spot...he is great, even as a pirate!
Brad Pitt-Fight club alone makes him number 2
Tom Cruise-hate him or love him.....I loved him in Vanilla Sky

no they be trollin tribal girl, ocean and myself.

I'd go with Steve Buscemi or Jack Nicholson.

^Nicholson is def. a movie star.........Caine is def. not....although he is a truly wonderful actor

What category is Brad Pitt in, exactly?

What defines the title Movie Star, and what is our time?

I don't see how Nicholson is and Caine isn't, sorry.

Pacino & De niro are right up there.

Last edited:
What category is Bard Pitt in, exactly?

What defines the title Movie Star?

A movie star is basically a high-profile actor with a moderate amount of talent. A movie star likely gets by on his good looks and charisma, rather than skill and versatility.

Examples of movie stars: Tom Cruise, Brad Pitt, Al Pacino

Examples of fine actors: Gary Oldman, Heath Ledger, Meryl Streep

Johnny Depp narrowly edges out Brad Pitt who narrowly edges out Robert Downey Jr.

Although they all have plenty of time to live on God's green earth so those rankings could easily change.

I would respectfully disagree that Johnny Depp narrowly edges out Brad Pitt, but I have really deep issues with Brad Pitt and his whole vibe. He makes me sick. Seriously. I know he is a good actor but I just see him and think about all the pictures of him and his Colors of Bennington multimillion dollar clan, and it makes me ill. Nauseous. I react in a strongly negative way whenever I see him in a flick or on a magazine.

When I see Johnny in a flick, or ESPECIALLY in a magazine.... I dig that shit. I cut out the pictures and save them. I am fascinated by him. To me, he is mysterious, he can be anyone, play anything, and his eyes are epic.

Robert Downey Jr. is an absolute doll. I didn't see Ironman. I would just like to sit and look at Robert Downey Jr. I'd pay the 10.50 or whatever it costs for a movie with Robert just being Robert. He seems very sincere and like a regular guy I could have a regular conversation with.

I am so sorry this is so long. I guess you tapped a well in my brain when you talked about Depp. I have a great admiration for all his characters, for the way he protects his family from the media and I love the sort of hippy shag style clothes he wears on David Letterman. No other actor has given me a complete middle school crush. Even when I was in middle school.:\

I should clarify that as in everything there are exceptions to the separations...meaning, there are people that are both like : johnny depp, robin williams, ....pretty much any "serious film actor" who is SO talented that they are also movie stars...these are the Superstars....and there aren't many of them