Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Implants May Help Heroin Addiction

phr

Ex-Bluelighter
Implants May Help Heroin Addiction
Nathan Seppa
Wired

People addicted to heroin or prescription opiates might have a hands-free device for getting through the rigors of drug withdrawal. The medication buprenorphine implanted under the skin and released over 24 weeks can ease drug cravings and helps some patients stay clean, researchers report in the Oct. 13 Journal of the American Medical Association.

Link!

Bruce also notes that implants may have a downside: People with them may not show up for regular counseling as reliably as they would if they were receiving weekly supplies of buprenorphine tablets. “Most people become drug users because of sexual trauma as kids or other violence. Bad things happen to people, and drugs make them feel better.” To break the addiction cycle, Bruce says, medication must be complemented with counseling. “They will always have to take the meds if they never deal with the root issue.”
Uhh... what? Not what I'd expect to hear from a physician at Yale University School of Medicine. :\

0.o Indeed phrozen... Quite the opposite infact.
Tis good that he's telling the truth instead of bowing to the mass-hysteria of the general masses though ay? :)

^^ wow.. Yeah no last i heard Race, background, sexual preference or history, or anything like that, none of it was a prerequisite for addiction. At the rehab im going to there are rich business men, people from the ghettos of Chicago, Middle class white kids, and EVERYTHING in between. I don't see a correlation here...

Sexual abuse and drug use do quite often go hand in hand unfortunately.
The other "tags" (not sure what to call them really) you mentioned are definitely all rather unimportant when it comes to determining whether someone will end up using / addicted to a substance though, yea.

I have a couple of friends who went through periods of sexual abuse in their life - both seriously fucking lovely people that I care for dearly (always seems to be the case that bad things happen to good people :|) - and they've both had or still have problems with addictions. And I can thoroughly understand why the substances they use(d) were / are so appealing.
Ofcourse, there's always the possibility that you go through such things are don't ever come into contact with drugs but, to be honest, these days I can't imagine someone growing up and not knowing anyone who takes some kind of drug :\

In the methadone clinic i go to, they have this big poster on the wall that claims 1 in 3 women are victims of childhood sexual abuse... Fucked up statistic if thats correct..

Anyways, although i hated having that shit dissolve under my tongue, no way would i put a fucking implant in my arm...

that actually sounds kinda intresting.I wonder how many mg's a day it would pump into the body.I would also think that at such a stable dose that at the end of 24 weeks u would need to taper.I can see them saying just worry about it later first u gotta change ur lifestyle.Anyways it forsure sounds better then a naltrexone implant.
ps: thank god but i was never abused or anything i grew up a happy and very fortunite kid i just liked drugs to each his own.

Fuck implants of anything I want control over my dose.

Yeah.. you could NOT pay me enough to get one of those things in me for the first year or so or its use, sounds like it could go horribly wrong if it messed up.

if it works though, cool

I don't think these are anything new. I recall hearing of people cutting them out of themselves so they can get high, plus its naltrexone, its just a blocker and not anything that cuts cravings or help you feel better. Screw that, I want total control over every last opiate receptor I own.

“Most people become drug users because of sexual trauma as kids or other violence. Bad things happen to people, and drugs make them feel better.”

Here I thought most people become drug users because they heard that the high was fun and they wanted to have fun. Silly me! 8)

People who have been physically abused or sexually assaulted DO have a higher rate of drug use than people who haven't

I gotta find a source for that, but yea.. not MOST drug users of course, that's f'n retarded when you look at the sheer NUMBER of drug users, that would mean that millions upon millions of people would had to have been diddled by their uncle or something, that can't be right...

You just know that some court somewhere would eventually start issuing mandatory treatment orders for this.