• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Bupe Oral Surgery while on Suboxone???

homeydontplaythat

Bluelighter
I really need some advice. I am having all 4 wisdom teeth extracted on Thursday. Two are impacted. I have been on Suboxone for years. I am not worried about the procedure but rather the follow up where they would normally give one hydrocodone or even percocet. Obviously this stuff wont do anything to me since im on bupe. So what options do i really have? I have considered:

-Telling the Dr im on suboxone and thus essentially telling him im an opiod addict. I think I would then ask him for very very high doses of tramadol since that would actually help since bupe wont block it. if i was really ballzy i would ask for nucynta. Fat chance.

-Not saying shit and getting some heroin (not, im over a year clean).

Does anyone have any experience with this? Im pretty fucking nervous....really.

Bup works as a good pain killer--- its prescribed for animals here, and people in Europe. What if you double your bupe dose for pain purposes & ask for a non-narcotic pain reliever like Darvocet (I know its slightly opiate related but it might not be blocked by subutex) in addition to that for extra support.

Good luck-- i've often wondered this myself.

When I had my wisdom teeth taken out. I wasn't hit with any opioid. Versed (Midazolam) was what I remember being hit with. Afterwards, they are going to prescribe you some painkillers. You can take em or leave em. You're on suboxone, so I'd say leave them.

@jaystyle: IIRC, Darvon is a mu-agonist and a weak one at that (barely keeps up with codeine).. so the bupe will block some, if not all, the "pain killing" shitty darvon brings.

Honestly, Ibuprofen 800mg is more than enough for what you're gonna be goin through. Plus you have the bupe, so I think you'll be fine.

I had 4 wisdom teeth removed a couple months ago while I was still on suboxone and 3 of them were impacted. I didnt have any problem whatsoever with pain afterwards....of course it hurt some but nothing too bad. The painkilling effects of the low dose sub actually helped out when needed as well.
But for the most part these types of surgeries are so standard that there is little pain to deal with afterward....and youll be lucky to find a doctor who gives you anything stronger than a few 7.5mg hydro's anyway.

woah woah, what!? 3 impacted and it didnt hurt? dont they have to cut through the gums to get the teeth out for impacted? i figured it would hurt like fuck post op. i guess im just going to not take my subs for 3 days, then take all the hydo they give me in the first 3 days when the pain is the worst. then go back on bupe??? i dont know.

do you think they would give me 400mg of tramadol a day? i would prefer that to some hydrocodone that wont do anything anyway. even if i do stop taking bupe for 3 days and take the ENTIRE bottole of vicodin it wont do fucking shit. i had to take 8 5mg hydrocodone to get well when i ran out of suboxone once.

i guess i should just not worry about it and tell the dr im on suboxone?

Yea man, when the doctor asks if you would like some vicodin, just reply "nah, homey don't play that"

For the record, neither do I.

yeah, fuck the hydro. i would have to get sick before it would do anything and then all it would do is get me well and id have to take so much that the apap would be bad for me.

so i guess im just going to ask if he can write for a large amount of tramadol, like 200mg a day. im sure he will.

ok, the max daily dosage is 400mg, you a think an oral surgeon would be cool with scripting that amount? it would have to be 2 ER tablets a day i suppose. that should be pretty good actually.

When I had my four wisdom teeth removed all at the same time, no opiate/opioid painkillers were used. They were all impacted too. I'm not saying you have to " be a man " about it.Ha I'm the worst with dealing with pain. But to be honest taking Ibuprofen worked just fine. Besides if you had an opiate problem and you have a year why play with fire? Just ask your doctor for alternatives. I WOULD tell him your on suboxone because some doctors do use an opiate/opioid during certain procedures ( morphine/ fentanyl) so def. tell him.

Bring your suboxone bottle or doctors note with you so they dont think you are bullshitting.

Does tramadol really have a higher affinity to the receptors than Bup does? I thought Bup has the highest affinity out of everything practically....

Sorry to get off subject, but personally I hate Bup. Its my only tool to try to get off oxy but each time I get on it I get depression, anxiety, and feel dizzy and weak. I never feel myself on bup so I usually relapse within a week.... it might be partly because I get so scared of blocking my opiate receptors I never take an amount large enough to curb me 100% Sure is some powerfull stuff though... just .5 - 1mg can keep me cool for like 36-48 hours.

I'm not an opiate addict but I've had my wisdom teeth pulled and a few other procedures. If they are going to be sedating you at all, it's REALLY REALLY IMPORTANT that you tell them about the Suboxone. They used a midazolam/fentanyl mix in two of my cases, and whenever anesthesia comes into play a ton of questions get asked regardless. I had a lot of swelling and pain after multiple oral surgeries, and was lucky enough to get opiates...but I hear many in NY don't get anything but 800mg motrin. However, honestly, out of any type of dr I've ever been to, the oral surgeons always seem rather generous about prescribing pain relief. I think they realize that most of the time, what they are doing to you really fucking hurts.

id go off the bupe, and score the hydros. imo. then go back on the bupe.

also maybe tell him him about the tolerance due to bupe, and get something almost equivalent.
1mg bupe equals about 40mg morphine. so you can do other math later.

also get the tram as a back up plan, in case the hydros or something stronger "dont work" .....

but i mean HR....... you will be fine with IB and your bupe......... after i got all four out, i smoked and drank........didnt even use my T3

1mg bupe equals about 40mg morphine. so you can do other math later.

That's just in terms of potency, not in terms of effects. No doctor is going to prescribe the potency equivalent. He would probably need like 200mg+ of morphine. Though keep in mind you really really need to tell your doctor your on suboxone. As I and others have said, some surgeons do use an opioid/opiate during surgery.

i highly doubt they will use any opiate during the surgery. probably straight up midazolam. in the chance you are right i suppose i should tell him. that would fucking SUCk to wake up halfway through. again, i think the iv benzo will keep me under.

for post op yeah i should probably tell him. im not going to stop taking my subs and get sick just so i can take vikes and not be sick.

does anyone think he will script 400mg of tramadol a day?

Bup works as a good pain killer--- its prescribed for animals here, and people in Europe. What if you double your bupe dose for pain purposes & ask for a non-narcotic pain reliever like Darvocet (I know its slightly opiate related but it might not be blocked by subutex) in addition to that for extra support.

Good luck-- i've often wondered this myself.

not when you used to be an addict and are weaning or maintenancing on it

well OP

i hear the pain isnt all that bad, a few of my friends at the time were not addicts

and would take the pills they got to get high, not everyday....so if they werent taking it everyday the pain cant be bad, and thye told me it wasnt bad

and some peeps just strait up sell em to the druggys

get ur pain meds they give u, (unless you're going to abuse them) and if you feel like u NEED them, take it...really no big deal

i highly doubt they will use any opiate during the surgery. probably straight up midazolam. in the chance you are right i suppose i should tell him. that would fucking SUCk to wake up halfway through. again, i think the iv benzo will keep me under.

for post op yeah i should probably tell him. im not going to stop taking my subs and get sick just so i can take vikes and not be sick.

does anyone think he will script 400mg of tramadol a day?

yeah they do not give opiates DURING surgery, either nitrus aka laughing gas

or if u need to be knocked out, like you said the midazolam or w.e, something like it

I'll just hope he scripts 400 mg of tram a day. I can act like I need a high dose from the bupe block. Shit maybe I'll get a lil buzz from all that tram. I've heard that it actually has a wicked synergistic effect w bupe. Thanks all.

yea from what I hear as well...tram mixes very well with suboxone but i dont think your doc will prescribe you any significant dose of it, if he even does it at all.