• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids I want to quit tramadol, advices please

Go slower if you can. The SNRI aspect of tramadol is what is going to make this suck. But your dose and duration haven't been epic so I think you'd be off in two weeks and good in a month.

Also, realize that you can make things worse by simply thinking that the withdrawals are going to be horrible. So, stay positive, eat right, exercise and (yes, really) masturbate a few extra times a day.

I wouldn't add in an SSRI/SNRI to the mix. You're trying to get that (SNRI) out of your system and you can accomplish that with a slow tramadol taper.

---What I want to question is:---

-Do you think are going to WD with these low doses (150-200 mg) I have been taking since april (7 months) ??

yes
-And what do you think of my regimen for quit?
good, but id go a lil lower on the tram, and idk about gab but i hear its addicting as well

-IYE what will be the worst day ?
the day you stop taking the tram...and [if gab is addicting] then also the day you quite that too

Thank you. I will updating this throughout the end of week

looks like you got in under control, just stick too it

I went nearly cold turkey off of about 400mg IR per day, I was only taking it for 2 months though. It was the worst w/d I've ever had. Worse than a small-medium pod addiction. I'll never touch that shit again.

3 days of absolute hell +PAWS

Tramadol is actually really difficult to quit. The withdrawal effects take 24 hours to hit about and when they do, they hit at full force.

You wont sleep. There's not much restless leg syndrom however. You should feel depressed and out of it. Tramadol really gives your body alot of energy. I believe that most of the withdrawal symptoms arn't from the opiate aspect of it at all. Maybe 1/8th of them are related to your opiate receptors being stimulated.

Your taper is a very good plan. I took about 200-400mg's a day, when I quit it was terrible. So bad that I never took the stuff again.

Good luck! Try to get some excercise, eat well, and incorporate a multi-vitamin into your diet.

^^I definitely had a different experience going through tramadol withdrawals last year. I was taking anywhere between 250-400mg's IR for about 6 months. But I found that the withdrawal effects were present upon waking up, and hit full probably about 6 hours into it (for me, at least). I also actually found myself able to sleep, too. But yes, other than that, tramadol withdrawals are certainly not a walk in the park, definitely had a lasting effect on my energy levels which was the most annoying aspect for me because of the activity I participate in everyday. But I only experienced withdrawals when I didn't taper properly (well, I only tapered once). When I used a taper plan, cutting back about 50mg's every 3 days or so, I honestly felt the mildest of withdrawal symptoms the first day, and I was extremely surprised to find that the next couple days I felt fine (not fine, but definitely not bad compared to full blown w/d's). I wish you the best of luck, and would like to hear how this plays out for you.

I was only taking tram for 2 months, at four hundred mg a day, so when I went on holiday in August I wasn't expecting any severe WD. How wrong I was, it was hellish, no sleep, no appetite, general discomfort, irritability.... You know how it goes.
But on track the 2 week taper sounds good; but you'll still have to be prepared for some discomfort; though it will be minimal. Tram cold turkey isn't something I suggest. :)

^a couple things, first most feel that gabapentin and pregabalin are both pretty sedating.

Next the seizure risk is while taking tramadol (generally in doses larger than 400mg and/or in combination with other drugs that lower the seizure threshold). Tramadol *withdrawal* doesn't cause seizures.

Next I was confused if you were saying you were going to take the bupropion during your tramadol taper or after... If you were thinking about taking them at the same time, it probably isn't a good idea since they both lower the seizure threshold and will amplify each others noradrenergic side effects.

Lastly, a slow taper is the way to do it. I think 25mg/week is a good rate if you have had trouble trying to come off it more quickly.

being a long term tramadol user i advise a slower taper as well. around a 25mg drop each week is a good rate as cane said.

the SERT and NA withdrawals coupled with the opiate withdrawal can make for some pretty uncomfortable periods of time.

the hardest part is disciplining yourself to stick to the taper. once you feel the wds, there is a great temptation to increase the dose to make them go away.

I will go contrary to everyone else just for the sake of argument.

When i withdrew from long term tramadol use (400-500mg/ day for 4+ months) I stopped all at once. It sucked, yes, but not like a full blown SSRI discontinuation, and not like full opiate withdrawal, but getting it done faster was much better for me.
When i tried to taper I had lots of false-starts and lots of going back to the max I could take per day, but dropping it all at once was very helpful at least for me. For those 5 days or so I was taking double valium and double lyrica also (paranoid about siezure risk) and I ended up getting over the acute symptoms really quickly.

consider it.