• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Can we get correct on the proper use of "opiate" and "opioid"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bupe

Bluelighter
Firstly the thread prefix option just shows the lack of confusion/care around the terms. BL seems to be a stickler for doing things right and this is a big one.

These are the ONLY true opiates, everything else is a semi-synthetic or synthetic opioid

Opiates:
Morphine
Codeine
Thebaine
Papaverine

An opiate is defined as the active alkaloids in the Opium Poppy

Arguably the alkaloids found in kratom and Salvia could also be called opiates.

EVERYTHING ELSE is an opioid.

Now I am not 100% positive but I believe all opiates are opioids but correct me of I'm wrong.

I'm no expert but it bugs me when people call opioids opiates.

kratom and salvia alkaloids aren't opiates because they aren't papaver somniferum alkaloids. They aren't opioids *technically* either because they are not semi- and or full-synethetic derivatives of opiates.

Kratom and Salvia constituents are opiodergic, meaning they work on the opioid/endorphin system but they don't fit in the strict definitions of either opiate or opioid.

This is all irrelevant however because if lots of people here use the terms 'opiate' and 'opioid' interchangeably and apply them to drugs like tramadal and kratom we all know what they are talking about.

Yeah I'd rather the prefix say opioid to be more accurate, but I didn't decide this and as long as people are able to communicate and know what others means, its fine. Its not worth the effort to change the system now, staff time here can be better spent on other endeavours.

There's no harm reduction value in chasing people around and correcting them and this thread doesn't fit in our guidelines and posting standards so I need to close this.

Status
Not open for further replies.