• MDMA &
    Empathogenic
    Drugs

Welcome Guest!
  • MDMA Moderators:

depression and ecstasy

halflife1010

Greenlighter
Hi I'm 18 right now and is curious about trying ecstasy i however have clinical depression i have gone through two episodes and have now been out of my latest one for nearly a year now. Is it safe still for me to try ecstasy or could it cause me to fall into another episode or make my condition worse?

MDMA + depression isn't usually a good idea..
some people get away with it though, but i wouldn't chance it.
It'll only make it worse.

It would definitely make it worse for a little time while you recovering from your last dose. Some people deal with it better some don't, it may also bring anxiety and other unwanted things into your life : / Your best bet is to not touch the stuff but who knows.

If you are really keen on trying this then here's my advise.

Treat it like a drug to help tackle your problems, not to hide them with a blanket. Dose yourself 3 times a year, no big rolls and no extra dosing on your roll. See what happens, if it makes your depression worse then obviously you should stop.

doing it once would help your depression. however, more than that imo would fuck you up, maybe not permanantly but like youd go through awful periods of despression.

i did it when suffering fairly major depression and apart from the obvious short term downside, i don't think it made much of a difference to my overall condition. when i wasn't abusing it (which i did when i was v depressed and immature a long time ago) i actually found ecstacy helped a lot with it. in the week running up to taking some i'd always feel better just because i knew i'd feel really truly happy soon, and i usually got a good afterglow too.

I definately agree that more than once every month or two would be risky. I recently did 2 rolls 3 weeks apart, and my life went from being estatic to depressed and droll. I can't get motivated or interested in anything, even when awesome things are happening all around me. I just follow people around and don't talk much because it just doesn't feel good to talk. I just do it for the sake of maintaining relationships. It's been 3 weeks since my last dose, and I'm starting to get worried.

I would stay away, far away. Unless you think you have the self control to take maybe a pill every 2-3 months.
To many people i know have said it's there one and only, and people without depression problems ultimately getting them in the long run and those with simply getting worsened..

You'll definitely fall into another episode of depression, not due to MDMA, but due to the fact that every episode leads to a longer and more serious episode. This is just how depression is pathologically and only gets better if it is being treated (source: Against Depression by Peter Kramer)

The MDMA crash may or may not lead to a full blown depression episode. Nobody here can tell you that. The crash does cause you to be depressed temporarily, and maybe this might trigger a full blown episode but again, this is not certain.

If you have SSRIs, take a dose a few hours AFTER you come down (read: DO NOT TAKE WITH E, only AFTER) to reduce/eliminate the crash.