• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Judge: Alarming trend in IV drug, heroin use in teens

seep

Bluelighter
POMEROY [Ohio] — Juvenile Court Judge L. Scott Powell said he sees a growing problem with intravenous drug use among local teenagers, and is warning parents of the signs of this “alarming” trend.

Powell said heroin, a dangerous and addictive street narcotic, is making a comeback as a replacement for prescription pain medications

In a “community warning,” Powell addressed a problem of increasing IV drug use among teenagers and youth, largely because changes in the form of a widely-abused pain medication have made it difficult to misuse.

Powell said Oxycontin has been the most common drug of choice among teenagers abusing pain medications.

“As a new capsule of the drug is designed to be difficult to dissolve, crush or misuse, heroin is replacing it as the new drug of choice,” Powell said Tuesday.

link to full story

This ain't much of a story, but it's the first time I've seen the mainstream media link the new Oxycontin with increased heroin use. Happened earlier than I thought it would (in the bellwether state no less)

It's gonna be an interesting decade.

I love how these judges and police figures try to act as if they're the absolute experts and last word on drug use, especially among youth

I also notice every article about heroin seems to link the spread of diseases like Hepatitis and HIV while leaving out the fact that safe usage techniques, sterile equipment, and lack of sharing can prevent these diseases. They act as if the diseases come packaged in the heroin itself

The judge that first ran Drug Court down here was once a massive heroin addict. He was a human bullshit detector but was pretty cool about giving junkies 2nd, 3rd, 4th and nth chances. I think cuz he knew firsthand how hard it is to stay off dope. A lot of people in the rehab industry are in the fellowship and know their shit

I think everyone here saw this coming years ago. I know I did.

I still think this past decade was a humongous social experiment. I dunno for what or by whom. It's beyond bizarre.

I love how these judges and police figures try to act as if they're the absolute experts and last word on drug use, especially among youth

They ALWAYS have the last really fucking big word on a topic.

Thankfully the internets is a nice opposition to spreading silence among people, but it's still pretty out there for this day and age.

I still think this past decade was a humongous social experiment. I dunno for what or by whom. It's beyond bizarre

purdue pharma....

But even still, growing up through the late 60s to 80s (im 50ish) I saw dope die out and cocaine grow ever larger, and now it's dope again; we didn't learn any lessons and/or we just love it all too much.

I'm not big on conspiracies but god damn. First tons of prescription opiates then super cheap, extra strong heroin floods the market.

I'd say 1/4 of the people in my social circle have been strung out on opiates since the late 90's.

Maybe 'they' wanted to see if oxy/heroin would beat rx stimulants/meth in popularity. I think opiates/heroin is the winner.

I see a lot of former opaite pills users that I know are now on heroin also..thats strange too,we are in Afghanistan and they still are producing 90+% or something of the worlds opium/heroin supply..anyone see a CIA connection here?!! Or maybe I am just thinking too much into this shit..but the US and the UK have not stopped the heroin and now OC's are made super hard to inject(if they even can be injected I dunno anyone who gets them anymore,they all switched to heroin a few years ago,and now even the people who were not into opiate pills are messing around snorting heroin for the first time and shit...hmmm somethings going on with the CIA or some government agengy,maybe Purdue Pharma is silent partners with opium/heroin cartels ??? stranger things have happened although I am only half jokingly saying that...think about it on the large scale...

They are hoarding the DOPE and yet still produce 90% just think about....that is there cash money

rant, i wrote it, so i might as well post it...

^
yeah, my brother in law(2 runs in afghan) and my brother(not so naive) asked if we got poppies from the afghan region, and if i thought "the war" had anything to do with opiates. america is a massive consumer of everything, and that should be something we have more control of, because of the utter importance that opiates have in medicine during our worst hours of pain, or pain that is irretractable and for life...

my guess as to the worlds leading commodities;
oil, coffee, opium poppies and their bi-products.

they arent a silent partner, we, the United States id guess eat more opioides then any other country pharm & illicit, or Russia.. people just figure that our opioides are grown and milled or synthesized from nothing(?) in labs in the states as well - so why would Purdue for example volunteer that information.?

like most plants, or grapes for example, the root grows deeper reaching richer minerals and soil, the plant thrives and regrows stronger, more complex. their poppies are where they want to be, where they should be to grow to their greatest potential. there are different varieties/properties from different regions, but Purdue is going to want the farmers who have perfected the hybridizing and manipulation of the plant to provide them a product that contains as much of the specific precursor for their Oxy-Codone/Contin; seeing how its a $50billion(in '09 i believe, OxyContin alone) a year industry in its self, which they want to be the sole producers of, and have bumped off most the competition so far.

i have an autoimmune disorder, and other chronic pain issues, for life. i currently take oxycodone, need on a ER med, but am going to try and not use OC or any purdue products.
the dispensing and handling of pain meds, and chronic pain patients is an outrage. this medication has caused a massive trainwreck for patients, and medical professionals alike. we, and they are raided, arrested, fined, left in great pain theyll never know. when purdue should be the one in the toss....

there are other narcotic analgesics that work.

people going to the streets who are in legitimate pain need to stop and think about the long run, all this does is sustain a stigma, and eventually backfires, letting the real intentive premeditative sociopathic criminal get free advertising.

good ol smack i never really fucked with oxy too damn expensive i chose IV heroin becuse its super cheap for the exact same high and its perfectly safe i was addicted to it for a few months and didn't get any diseases and me and my buddy both shot and shared a needle once he used mine tho so it was fine :) not the other way around

I don't know. Most people don't shoot their OC's, so I can't imagine that a bunch of OC sniffers will go to shooting dope. At least not quickly. If they were shooting already, they would have been shootin' dope since it's cheaper and that much better iv'ed...