• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos Weening off Xanax

enacer

Bluelighter
I have been taking Xanax for about 3 months or so. I started out taking Clonipin 1-1 1/2mg at bedtime for a few months while I was weening off Suboxone. I have been off suboxone for weeks and the clonipin for a couple months. The max xanax I will take in one day is 2mg. I lost my insurane and only have about 80 1mg xanax tabs left. What is the best way to ween off? Can I substitute clonipin if I run out? I also have valium but didnt like the muscle relaxer sexual side effects.

Valium is the preferred taper method, though Klonopin would work probably about 80% as well due to it's longer half life (but not as long as valium)

I had a 3mg a night habit and I went down 0.5mg every 7-10 days, when I felt comfortable. I'm currently at:

0.5mg xanax
15mg valium

And in a few days I'll run out of my xanax and I'll stay at 15mg valium for a few days (prob 3-4) then drop to 10, wait 7-10, drop to 5mg wait 7-10 then drop to 2.5 and finally quit. I'm lucky to have the 10mg 4-score diazepam tablets from Ratiopharm so I can easily split them into 2.5mg doses for the finish

(Mods: Ratiopharm is NOT as source. They are a pill manufacturer like Pfizer or Wyeth -- didn't want anyone thinking I was giving out a source.)

dont try to use the xanax to ween off. valium would be best if you have enough, kpin would be second best. they have much longer half lives so you need to dose less frequently to avoid significant WD symptoms. edit: oops, volcano beat me to it.

other than triazolam, i can not think of a worse benzo to use to taper than xanax. plus it seems to be the one you are strongest mentally addicted to--understandable as they kick in quick and are very rewarding. drop the xanax, use the valium. there are plenty of threads for good taper schedules, but i am sure someone will post one for you in this thread too. i don't wanna give advice on that.

If you only had xanax id say slowly lower the dose but since you have valium or kpins id use those and slowly wean yourself down. The slower the better. Good luck. Its not going to be a walk in the park, but itll be alot easier than quitting cold turkey. which is PURE HELLLL. I quit a 16mg a day alprazolam habbit cold turkey and almost died, i had like 4 seizures and felt like killing myself. I was the biggest dick and none of my friends wanted anything to do with me for about a month. Not a fun time.