• MDMA &
    Empathogenic
    Drugs

Welcome Guest!
  • MDMA Moderators:

Why can the UK do it but the USA cant?

James707

Bluelighter
i have read that in the UK that there are a huge demographic of Ecstasy users that use every weekend, with supplement pre/post loading is rare to never. And they dont see as many ecstasy related long-term problems as ecstasy user's in the U.S.

Why is that? it is strange when you think about it... food for thought... please post opinons..

Maybe most of them are getting pipes or other drugs and they don't even know it. The effects of MDMA to someone's brain is not going to change because they're in another country..

I don't think the problems aren't there...maybe the UK just isn't represented as well here and the US is. (more people from US posting than the UK) It would be interesting to see a demographic on that.

Shittier pills in the us, compared to the UK. Once I graduate college my first reward trip will be straight to the UK for my first rave, and etc.

Correct me if im wrong, but there are far more people diagnosed with mental illnesses (ie. depression, anxiety disorders, ADD) in the USA/Canada then in UK. I think the different culture and mindset one is in can definatly have an impact on how someone handles drugs. I've always thought that for the most part a lot of ecstasy related side effects come from adulterated pills or a sort of placebo where someone tricks themselves into getting side effects. If you don't think about the side effects they can't affect you to some extent. The more attention you use on it the worse its going to be. I think North American culture is more prone to looking from faults in themselves than in the UK

I admit I could have no idea what I'm talking about though

Correct me if im wrong, but there are far more people diagnosed with mental illnesses (ie. depression, anxiety disorders, ADD) in the USA/Canada then in UK. I think the different culture and mindset one is in can definatly have an impact on how someone handles drugs. I've always thought that for the most part a lot of ecstasy related side effects come from adulterated pills or a sort of placebo where someone tricks themselves into getting side effects. If you don't think about the side effects they can't affect you to some extent. The more attention you use on it the worse its going to be. I think North American culture is more prone to looking from faults in themselves than in the UK

I admit I could have no idea what I'm talking about though

The reason this is ture IMO is because americans as a whole let it be ture. its the same reason we are the fattest nation in the world. people are more willing here to run to the doctor if they feel even the slightest bit out of sorts than anywhere in the world and the doctors are more worried about getting money than the health of thier patients that they just toss out crazy diagnosises and pills at everything and everyone that comes along.

EDIT: Ok, took too long to post, heh. I may have repeated some things already said above.

Well, if you'll indulge some idle speculation...

First off, as No Consequence mentioned, there's the possibility that they're not getting the same drugs. They may be getting pure MDMA or pipes or whatever -- in any case, it's going to change their response dramatically. This is kind of a moot point, unfortunately...we have no way of knowing what they're getting, so we can't really point to that as the definitive reason.

Secondly, and more importantly, it's problematic to make a blanket statement like "UK Ecstasy users experience less long-term problems than US users". I've already mentioned the potential difference in substances, but what about differences in the population polled? What age groups use, and how much does the average user use? Is this consistent across the US and the UK? Is the same group polling both populations, or are we attempting to cross-reference already highly subjective data? What about response bias? For instance, polling people about sex-related issues is fraught with response bias, and that's not even illegal. I'm curious to see your sources (if available), but if not it's no big deal...just some things to keep in mind.

If we're going to disregard all the sources of error (which is a huge leap, mind you), I'd hazard a guess that people's attitudes about Ecstasy are much different in the UK than they are in the US. People here may have a different definition of what constitutes "damage"...I think we're on the whole a bit of a hypochondriac nation. The definition of mental health is hugely influenced by one's culture -- practices that we consider pathological may simply be another culture's way of life. There are many other details and exceptions I could mention, but hopefully you get the gist...

EDIT: Also, I wholly agree with everyone before me who said that the US/Canada are more diagnosis-happy than the UK. I definitely agree that that's a huge difference.

Again as No Consequence said, I think the least sensible conclusion one can draw from this is that somehow UK users are taking the same drug in the same amount as US users are and not suffering negative consequences. There must be an error somewhere.

James707...

I'm an American and I have partied in England, and I agree. I don't understand how you guys consume the amount of drugs that you do and are still walking, let alone not depressed and insane. I couldn't even keep up and these guys go like this every weekend. There are good pills to be had over there, plentiful and cheap. Not to mention K, acid, etc. Then you guys got to that nasty Mephedrone shit, and somehow haven't all died or just completely lost the plot yet. I mean, it sounds like all the serotonin-depleting effects of MDMA with the fiendishness and redosing of cocaine. No thank you. Now there are more chemists in England having designer substances that skirt the line such as MDAI, MMAI, MDMAI, not to mention other avenues that haven't been covered by Shulgin. And young English drug users will be a huge test market. You guys have major organized crime driving this over there due to how popular "plant food" was, and now they want to keep the cash flowing.

So yeah, I don't get it...It's gotta be something in that gene pool.
I read many exploits in EADD, but I had to see it to believe it.

Believe it.

:D

I watched a video on youtube about the lowering amount of pills "actually" containing mdma in the UK.... Most of them are pipes and cousins of mdma like jungle juice said. sad but true. it was like a 35 percent drop

James707...

I'm an American and I have partied in England, and I agree. I don't understand how you guys consume the amount of drugs that you do and are still walking, let alone not depressed and insane.

I've spent some time in the UK as well, the Aussies and locals sucked down vast quantities of everything and didn't die. They then went on to do it the next day.

I had more lager and ale poured down me the month I was there than I've consumed during the rest of my life .. and I'm 46. o_O

I'd just like to say that we are not all taking pipes/bullshit. The pokeballs that everyone from California bangs on about have about 90mg of MDMA, which definitely wouldn't be considered a particularly strong pill in the UK, and pills are a lot cheaper here...a lot. There's also a lot of good MDMA around. The answer is certainly not that we're all taking bunk.

It does seem mysterious, though, we are so resilient; I used to take high doses of MDMA at least once a week, often more frequently, for over a year, and did not suffer any serious problems. Maybe we're just made of sterner stuff ;). I think the hypochondriac theory has got some weight to it; ADHD, GAD etc are not problems that are diagnosed nearly as often here, I have only one friend who is prescribed Ritalin, which I gather is rather a contrast to the situation across the pond.

I honestly don't know..

but like someone else said, once I'm out of college I'm treating myself with a trip to the UK, best events hands down! Well as far as dubstep shows:)

i've never heard anything about people in the UK having more problems than people in the US, i don't think that statement is correct at all. the US is more diagnosis-happy in general but when i used to go to raves all the time, me, my friends, everyone, was going through pills like crazy for a long time before any problems came up. then you stop for a bit, regroup yourself, and go at it again. the few people i know in the UK tell a similar tale, so i see no difference.

maybe your neck of the woods gets garbage pills? i dunno. all's fine over here.

i have read that in the UK that there are a huge demographic of Ecstasy users that use every weekend, with supplement pre/post loading is rare to never. And they dont see as many ecstasy related long-term problems as ecstasy user's in the U.S.

Why is that? it is strange when you think about it... food for thought... please post opinons..

Have you got a link?

Have you got a link?

That was my first reaction. We should establish the validity of the claim before debating the social ramifications of this. It should also be noted that when dealing with entire countries we'd have to take a very large amount of sociological factors into consideration to even come up with a vague hunch as to the reasoning behind this statistic.