Film & Television

Welcome Guest

⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
    Forum Rules Film Chit-Chat
    Recently Watched Best Documentaries
    ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Film & TV Moderators: ghostfreak

Easily Filmable Novels That You (For Whatever Reason) Would Never Want To See Filmed

junctionalfunkie

Bluelighter
Reading through the other thread, I realized that most cinematic adaptations of novels, etc. are fucking horrible. I could think of a lot more books in this list than in that one, myself, (Matt Damon and Co. already ruined one of my all time favorite books, All The Pretty Horses by Cormac McCarthy ten years ago! That movie sucked soooo bad!! But the book is excellent!).

Conrad's War by Andrew Davies. This British book was my favorite book in the world in the late 70s. It is the story of a young boy who loves to play soldier and war, until he suddenly starts slipping into another Dimension or something where he's actually engaged in battle in WWII! He comes to realize that perhaps war is more ugly than glamorous, etc.

The book could easily be adapted into a childrens' film, and, in the hands of even a mediocre director, the anti-war subtext could be quite obvious, without being heavy-handed about it.

The reason I would not want Conrad's War to be made into a film is that I prefer to keep my memories of that book to specific time and place in childhood. Even if the movie were fantastic, I probably would never watch it.

Well, maybe.... ;)

A Soldier of the Great War by Mark Helprin. Amazing novel. They could do it justice (perhaps), but it would have to be a major miniseries or something, in order to get anywhere near all the beauty, detail, subtexts, ongoing stories, development of characters over the courses of their lives, etc. etc. ad infinitum. It would literally take like 12-16 hours.

And if they weren't willing to do it that way, I'd rather they not even try.

Infinite Jest could be made into a reasonably coherent film, albeit a long one. My main source of relief that it never will be cinematized is that the unwashed masses simply don't care about or understand about stories as complicated as like. Also, there are no explosions. Anyway, I think we can all agree, for a multitude of reasons, that IJ is "off-limits." I sure hope DFW never sold the movie rights to it.

Has any one read The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night Time? That's sorta one that could go either way.

What else?

Last edited:
Reading through the other thread, I realized that most cinematic adaptations of novels, etc. are fucking horrible. I could think of a lot more books in this list than tat one, myself, (Matt Damon and Co. already ruined one of my all time favorite books, All The Pretty Horsesby Cormac McCarthy ten years ago! That movie sucked soooo bad!! Book is Excellent!). so feel free to add!

OMFG they made that masterpiece into a movie? I'm glad I haven't seen it.

They're making Tomorrow, When The War Began into a movie as we speak, I'm pretty annoyed about that. I just don't think they can give the books the credit they deserve.

OMFG they made that masterpiece into a movie? I'm glad I haven't seen it.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but yes:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0149624/

McCarthy has been one of my favorite authors since I took a course titled "Literature of the South and Southwest" in 1995, and had to read ... Horses.

The beauty of McCarthy's writing is his sparse, unpunctuated prose, his vivid descriptions of things, and other elements that simply don't translate to the screen.

Thankfully, that film did poorly, so I doubt we are in danger of seeing films of the other 2 books of The Border Trilogy. :)

Catcher in the Rye.

It's probably going to happen now that Salinger is dead, but oh my, he'll be turning in his grave.

The Bell Jar - there was a movie in the works and one made but yeah I don't think it should be made into a movie.

this is not easily filmable (actually completely impossible) but the illuminatus trilogy.

it's my favorite book of all time and i wouldn't want to have images from the movie in my head while reading the book.

for example, i'm reading the book american psycho and i hear christian bales voice in my head while i read it. it doesn't really bother me but this isn't that great a book anyway.

i would not want anything like that happening the next time i read the illuminatus trilogy.

also, any attempt to film would dumb the fuck out of the book.

Catcher in the Rye.

It's probably going to happen now that Salinger is dead, but oh my, he'll be turning in his grave.

Under-achieving, over privileged, ungreatful, posh-boy prick gets kicked out of another Rich Kiddies school. I can't wait 'til it goes into production...

'Catcher in the Rye' could be loosely adapted into a decent movie, but it wouldn't be easy. It would be an incredibly difficult adaptation. Because people don't want to see literary fiction on the screen, they want to see popular fiction.

Under-achieving, over privileged, ungreatful, posh-boy prick gets kicked out of another Rich Kiddies school. I can't wait 'til it goes into production...

It's not the plot of 'Catcher' that makes it an interesting novel (I think you missed a pretty important point anyway). The book is critically over-rated, but it isn't rubbish. The language is great, for example, the voice is unique. I thought parts of it were pretty funny. Personally, I'd watch a film version.

I'd MUCH rather watch an adaptation of Catcher in the Rye assuming that it was re-written to suit the screen and competently produced than another fucking remake.

It seems to have become popular to trash 'Catcher in the Rye' since most of our generation misunderstood the South Park episode that revolved around it.

Personally, I think it's pretty obvious from reading the first sentence of the novel that it's not fluff. It was ahead of its time. Now, it's somewhat dated.

South Park will follow the same chain of events.

The Bell Jar - there was a movie in the works and one made but yeah I don't think it should be made into a movie.

I was sure I had a copy of that book around. It seems I must have bought, I Never Promised You A Rose Garden, instead. Hmmm, I never did finish that book either.

*goes to dig it out*

wiki said:
2008: Plum Pictures has announced plans for a new Hollywood version of the novel. The movie will be written by playwright and screenwriter Tristine Skyler. Julia Stiles will star as the novel's protagonist, Esther Greenwood, while actress Rose McGowan will play the role of the character Doreen. As of early 2010, the film remains in development.

I reckon I better grab a copy of the book before the story gets tainted with image of Julia Stiles big head.

Pretty much any book I read...film adaptations kill ones imagination and how you picture the characters and the setting..