• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Heroin Question about girlfriends reaction to heroin.

xCrueltyFree

Greenlighter
Hi everyone.
This is my first post and I am not very familiar with the community but please respond with intelligent answers and try not to be judgmental. Giving the nature of the web site I am hopeful you will all be respectful. :D

My question is in regards to the reaction my girlfriend has when shooting heroin. Her and I were addicted to opiates for over a year, following a car accident we both got sober, her cold turkey, and me with the use of Suboxone. We occasionally indulge in it still though very infrequently but that is besides the point...

You see when we were in our addiction we did both heroin and other opiates by snorting them and taking them orally, on the few occasions when we shot up I would react normally no matter how many bags I had done but with even a very small amount my girlfriend becomes unconscious. The reason I do not understand this is that I have witnessed her do hundreds of mg of oxycodone and seen her rail a sizable amount of heroin with no adverse effects. But on the other hand if she shoots even half a bag she almost immediately goes unconscious and can't be woken up for a period of time. So bad that the final time we did it before swearing it off I got so worried I called an ambulance and she finally woke up while on the stretcher about an hour after going unconcious. I can't imagine an overdose being the cause because like I said it happens with only half a bag and I have seen her snort 10x that amount. Though I am aware that using a syringe is the fastest way to absorb it.

My question is, what could another cause of her reaction be? Is anyone else able to ingest heroin in other ways but unable to shoot it? Am I mistaken? Is it really an overdose? Could it be an allergic reaction or something?

Thanks in advance for your answers and if you need any other information to help you determine the cause please ask me. Her and I are both anxious for all of your responses. Thanks again everyone. :)

Unless you saw her snort a reasonable size of the SAME bag of heroin and not go unconscious she could have just lucked out and had stronger stuff each time hence it been an OD.

The other thing is perhaps she has unusually lower oral/nasal bioavailbility compared to you, hence her taking say 100mg of OC is much less than if you were to take it.

I think the only safe answer to give here though is to make sure she never does it again, it could be one of many things.

I've never shot any drugs, but every time I've even gotten blood work done at a medical office I pass out about 5min afterwords. Some type of weird needle phobia I have, or at least I assume that's what causes it. So yes, there could be other explanations than OD.

That being said, it's still very scary either way, and not at all anything to fuck around with. I would strongly advise not to do it again.

Please be safe.

Welcome to bL.

well i'm no heroin expert, but with IV i know the heroin gets into the brain as heroin, and not after it's converted by metabolism.

but i think this is a bullshit question, with heroin there are too many variables, mg for mg you can't say anything about it's effects compared to anything not even another bag of H, even in the same bundle.

if it is how you state it is... then No More IV for her.

i'd like to point out also that you bring up this question, for future reference, that you intend to use to be safe, in the event of using H. SOooO you swore it off eyyy?
cute little story though

pain :|

Last edited:
A good friend of mine would often nod very hard after IVing his heroin... This was after sniffing for a couple of years. A half bag would have him nodding to the point where people were often concerned, whereas he could easily sniff ALOT more than that. I do not know the reason behind this, but can only tell you that it happened. If she cannot enjoy the high from IVing, then it shouldn't be done.

Even if you find out the reason behind it, that still will most likely not prevent it from happening again.

IV is about 3 times as powerful as snorting with dope i think. not positive on this one though. and its probable your bags had different potencies, and they could be very drastic differences depending on your sources. so its very possible she just shot super strong dope and couldnt take it.

I think its closer to 2x stronger, but is probably between 2-3x stronger given the bioavalabiltiy of IV vs nasal.

If I understand correctly, the OP is saying that his gf has reacted this way several times, and after using different batches. So I wouldn't just write this off as a case of just getting a super-strong batch just yet, especially since the OP also IV'd these bags and was fine.

As I said before, this may not be what you want to hear, but IVing just may not be a ROA that is suitable for your g.f.

If I understand correctly, the OP is saying that his gf has reacted this way several times, and after using different batches. So I wouldn't just write this off as a case of just getting a super-strong batch just yet, especially since the OP also IV'd these bags and was fine.

Yep, it could just be her body chemistry, the risk with doing something like this makes it very hard to recommend testing even with 1/3 of what she would normally attempt.

Thank you all for your responses.

Maj Pain, I do not understand how this is a bullshit question and I in no way alluded to my asking being a precaution for future use. It came up in conversation tonight. Myself and others with me were curious as to why these circumstances might be, seeing that there were 4 IV users or ex-users in the house that have not experienced anything like this. Although my girl and I still get fucked up we HAVE in fact sworn off IV use and have not used that method in months because it absolutely terrified me to see her like that. I do not know why you would question the integrity of a person you do not know. It's quite insulting. That is why I asked you to be fucking respectful in my original post. I suppose you missed that part. You said it yourself, You're no heroin expert. Please learn how to respect a person with an honest question or eat a fucking dick. :p

Anyway, This has happened on 3 different occasions, often with admittedly mediocre H at best so I am sure it was not the quality. She also enjoys the high and she loves needles so that is not it. However I'd say the oral/nasal bio-availability is very plausible and it could just be a harsh reaction to increased absorption rates and such. Tommyboy, your response is almost right on the dot. She has railed H from the same bun and been fine but as soon as she drills any of it she dips really hard until eventually passing out. Also from my experience the buns we get are pretty consistent quality bag for bag. Thank you all for the responses and sympathy. As I have said she will not be using IV and neither will I in respect for her. We were just curious. Have a good night everyone. :)

And yeah, this has happened EVERY time she has IV'd. Sometimes to a greater or lesser extent. The first time she did it she wasn't with me and was scared so she did about 1/3 of a bag. She passed out and woke up with the girl she was with crying next to her thinking she was dead. Sometimes she just kind of goes to sleep for a couple minutes and a couple times it was something much scarier. I do seriously doubt it was just a case of her somehow getting a really strong bag out of the batch. I believe I even IV'd the remainder of one of the bags that knocked her out if I'm not mistaken and I have never had a similar experience. And you are correct, it is not a circumstance we plan to duplicate to test any of these hypothesis properly. hahaha.

Heroin and morphine provide a much more sedating "downer" high than say oxycontin, or vicodin. This and the combination of IV administration is what may be causing such hard nodding which may present itself as a loss of consciousness.

The opiate alkaloids that are produced by the poppy plant are morphine, thebaine, and codeine. The thebaine is what oxycontin is synthesized from and produces more of a stimulating high for the user, even though it is infact a CNS depressant. Many people get a stimulating high from the thebaine synthesized oxycodone, whereas the morphine synthesized heroin produces the more sedating high which usually results in nodding out easily.

Heroin and morphine provide a much more sedating "downer" high than say oxycontin, or vicodin. This and the combination of IV administration is what may be causing such hard nodding which may present itself as a loss of consciousness.

The opiate alkaloids that are produced by the poppy plant are morphine, thebaine, and codeine. The thebaine is what oxycontin is synthesized from and produces more of a stimulating high for the user, even though it is infact a CNS depressant. Many people get a stimulating high from the thebaine synthesized oxycodone, whereas the morphine synthesized heroin produces the more sedating high which usually results in nodding out easily.

This actually makes a lot of sense. She does dip very little when on oxycodone in comparison to heroin and as you've said that plus the greater effect of doing it intravenously as opposed to snorting it could very well be the cause. So by this logic, perhaps if she did enough heroin nasally it could cause these same symptoms as doing it IV. I suggested this to her and she thinks that this is the case. She hasn't railed as much as I initially suspected so the low bio-availabilty is what could possibly have been saving her from having a similar reaction and that is why as soon as she shoots it shes out. I'd say we have reached a decent conclusion actually. Thank you very much Tommyboy. :)

Ever think of the fact that she's most likely quite a bit smaller than you? Dosage is quite dependent on the size of the user as well as the potency of the drugs. Also some people react differently to some substances when they IV them.

Diacetylmorphine is 44% Nasally, 100% IV....That's quite a difference. Plus the fact that it's pretty instantaneous vs the nasal taking quite a while to kick in.

So she's getting 2x the normal dose 20x faster. Then add in the fact that she's most likely smaller than you and it's no surprise that she nods out instantly when IVing.

Nice to see a fellow LIer on here.....Haven't seen many at all.

I'm in North Carolina now, was planning to drop everything and move here to straighten my life out(not bc of drugs, plenty of other BS) ended up getting kidnapped at gunpoint my second day here.

Time to go back to NY for SURE.....However the crackheads stole all of my money, my cellphone, my ATM card. Basically everything I'd come down with.

I did manage to find some FIRE pure white dope here. Only thing I'm going to miss, I've never had anything like it.

I have considered that her size in comparison to me could be a factor. I was just seeking a more scientific approach rather then just shrugging it off as an extra-strong bag or assuming she just has a different reaction. It is probably the stronger effect simply from doing it IV coupled with the fact that heroin is more of a sedative then oxycodone. Which would account for the fact that she is not negatively effected by much larger doses of other opiates. That was the root of my question and lack of understanding. That she could rail 100's of mg of other opiates seemingly unaffected but a quarter bag of heroin done intravenously renders her unconscious.

how is her breathing while shes out?? is she super high or does she just nod or pass out easy for some reason? what a weird thing to happen.

I forgot to mention that. Her breathing is slowed down a lot, slower than that of a sleeping persons and she is not just sleeping because attempts to wake her while she is out are totally futile. That is what caused me to call an ambulance during the last occasion, I couldn't wake her up no matter what I did and then all of a sudden she just came to while getting carted out.

or eat a fucking dick.

lol, just stirring the pot buddy.. my way of doing things, if you don't like it, i recommend you learn to cope, cause this fella is sticking around.

OR, eat a fucking dick lol! real nice

IMO heroin is fucking garbage, who knows whats in that bullshit. people talk a lot about how terrible it is to shoot pills lol.. at least you know whats in them. (not that i would ever fucking shoot a pill)

-Pain :|

IMO heroin is fucking garbage, who knows whats in that bullshit. people talk a lot about how terrible it is to shoot pills lol.. at least you know whats in them.

At least heroin generally dissolves in water and doesnt need a micron filter to be clear, sure it can be cut with poor choices of cut, but it isn't ALWAYS full of talc and another vein clogging products like pills are.

I would argue shooting pills is far far worse for you.

^ +1 While neither falls within the definition of safety, shooting pills is high risk without exception.