Film & Television

Welcome Guest

⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
    Forum Rules Film Chit-Chat
    Recently Watched Best Documentaries
    ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Film & TV Moderators: ghostfreak

Leonardo DiCaprio - Greatest Actor of Our Generation?

junctionalfunkie

Bluelighter
I'm rather impressed with the ascension of DiCaprio's career; I think he's developed into a fine, versatile actor, easily on par with Brando or DeNiro. He (or his agent) chooses his scripts carefully, too.

After reading these two articles:

http://nymag.com/movies/features/67013/

and

http://www.newsweek.com/2010/07/08/what-s-eating-leonardo-dicaprio.html

I find that there is some debate over his versatility, especially in the latter article.

Any thoughts? Any opinions on the assertion the DicCaprio's career has been "engineered to make audiences forget Titanic?"

I think he's great. With the exception of Gangs of New York, I can't think of a single movie of his I didn't enjoy immensely,

I used to think he looked and acted too young, but as his career progressed after Titanic (an undeniably terrible movie in almost every way), he really became impressive. I can see him getting even better as he ages with those endearing gold whiskers around his sturdy chin. He's not the best, though. That award goes to his Departed co-star, Matt Damon.

I really liked blood diamond. Is he the greatest actor of our generation? No way.

i'll have to disagree with the suggestion, although i am a fan.

the greatest actor of our generation is cate blanchett. by a long shot too.

imo of course.

dicaprio is a great actor, part of his skill is choosing good projects. the best actor in the world cant make a shitty movie good. i really can't wait to see inception, christopher nolan and dicaprio should be as good as scorsese and him.

dicaprio is a great actor, part of his skill is choosing good projects.

This. Plus good directors.

He did learn from Titanic, that was gash.

Greatest of our generation? Well that's subjective from person to person. I like Penn a lot.

Casualties_of_War-102.jpg

Way better than DiCaprio.

i like leo, and i definitely don't mind him being scorsese's new bobby dee, but he definitely aint the best.

captainballs said:
He's not the best, though. That award goes to his Departed co-star, Matt Damon.

I hope that was a joke. Matt Damon, seriously? Fuck Matt Damon.

DiCaprio is a really good actor, but his performances aren't quite as impressive as De Niro (with Scorsese). The sort of versatility required to move from Taxi Driver to Raging Bull is beyond DiCaprio, I think.

He was better when he was younger, chose more interesting films. What's Eating Gilbert Grape and the Basketball Diaries... The Departed and Shutter Island, despite being Scorsese flicks, are pretty mainstream. I liked them, but they're not really comparable to early De Niro/Scorsese IMO.

I have to agree with the person who mentioned Sean Penn..... he really is (was? when was the last movie he had a starring role? Mystic River?) a fantastic, flexible actor, but he seems to be known more for his directing/philanthropy in recent years.

Damon is good, I liked Invictus a lot; his Afrikaans accent was very convincing. But in terms of The Departed, I think Leo takes the cake. The scene where he's bitching out his rich uncle, and his scenes in the shrink's office are stellar, IMO.

I do have to agree with the second article I quoted in that DiCaprio may be typecasting himself as a tortured soul, in a way. Each of his films seems darker than the last! Eventually, a Leonardo DiCaprio film will be just a black screen with his voice-over! :D

Meant to see Inception last night, but an old friend came to town.... will definitely see it over the weekend.

Thanks for the replies. For those who think Leo definitely doesn't get the crown (ha ha), who would?

Saw Inception tonight and it was awesome! None of the acting particularly stuck out as 'stunning' but the plot was phenomenal.

^edit: to jf

like i said, cate blanchett shows far more range as an actor. hugo weaving is also brilliant. leo aint really that exception when next to people of their calibre.

those scenes you mentioned from the departed aren't great acting challenges, good scenes, but not for the acting. t_d is right, scorsese's earlier works are all required far more from their actors than most of his current stuff.

for a direct comparison, check out the break up scene in the aviator. watch cate's nuance filled performance next to leo's comparative mere competency.

the greatest actor of our generation is cate blanchett. by a long shot too.

imo of course.

She is pretty damn awesome. I like her a lot. :)

He was better when he was younger, chose more interesting films. What's Eating Gilbert Grape and the Basketball Diaries... The Departed and Shutter Island, despite being Scorsese flicks, are pretty mainstream. I liked them, but they're not really comparable to early De Niro/Scorsese IMO.

Yeah, I liked a lot of his earlier choices better too, but I think he's recent choices are as equally appealing. I think he's transitioned from child actor to adult very well. It's not an easy thing to do. This Boy's Life, What's Eating Gilbert Grape, and The Basketball Diaries were all awesome, but I also enjoyed The Aviator, The Departed, and Catch Me If You Can. Just on different levels, that's all.

I have to agree with the person who mentioned Sean Penn..... he really is (was? when was the last movie he had a starring role? Mystic River?) a fantastic, flexible actor, but he seems to be known more for his directing/philanthropy in recent years.

I would say Milk was his last noteworthy role. Top notch film.

Damon is good

I hate him and his big watermelon head, but I'll begrudgingly admit that I think he's a good actor.

As for Leo, he's one of my favourite actors for sure. But I dunno if I would say he's the greatest of our generation. I don't really like pigeon-holing anyone tbh.

he's been in some great movies - Romeo + Juliet, the Basketball Diaries, Gangs of New York, and the Departed. while his chops aren't comparable to the actors' of generations past; I wouldn't call somebody crazy for deciding he was the best actor of our time

Milk? I think he's a good actor, but not great. Granted, I'm pretty sure my personal feelings toward him have clouded my judgment of his quality.

For those who think Leo definitely doesn't get the crown (ha ha), who would?

I think DiCaprio is pretty great. This question is a bit hard because I don't really know what constitutes an actor of 'our generation'. I mean, Helen Mirren is still making great films but she's 64. Is she still in our generation?

I agree Cate Blanchett is pretty top notch... I also really think Kate Winslet is fantastic (which is kind of funny since the topic is DiCaprio). Then again there's Spacey & Walken.

So I guess I don't have an answer but I agree that DiCaprio is probably as good of an answer as most.

^edit: to jf

like i said, cate blanchett shows far more range as an actor. hugo weaving is also brilliant. leo aint really that exception when next to people of their calibre.

those scenes you mentioned from the departed aren't great acting challenges, good scenes, but not for the acting. t_d is right, scorsese's earlier works are all required far more from their actors than most of his current stuff.

for a direct comparison, check out the break up scene in the aviator. watch cate's nuance filled performance next to leo's comparative mere competency.

I totally agree on Blanchett. Weaving I haven't seen anything outside of the Lord of the Rings and Matrix trilogies, both of which puzzle me to no end. Weaving may be a great actor, but I can't make heads or tails of anything I've seen him in. Can you recommend something else of his?

I think most of us can agree that Bobby DeNiro is perhaps our Master Thespian, at the end of the day, but he's hardly in the same generation as DiCaprio.

Edward Norton is great, too.