• MDMA &
    Empathogenic
    Drugs

Welcome Guest!
  • MDMA Moderators:

Wellbutrin and MDMA/LSD/Mushrooms

Deadhead420

Bluelighter
I just got put on Wellbutrin XL 300mg a day. This is my first month on it and I've never taken any anti-depressants before. My doc gave it to me because I'm coming off opiates and have been having some anxiety plus it's supposed to help addiction in general.

Anyway I looked it up and it's not an SSRI, it's a noreprenephrine and dopamine reputake inhibitor. Would this affect any recreational drugs like MDMA or LSD? I'm guessing opiates won't be affected but I'm really trying to stay away from them. I know SSRIs block MDMA. I'm just hoping that Wellbutrin won't.

Actually what I really need to know is if it will affect mushrooms because I'm planning on tripping tomorrow but I don't want to waste it. If anyone knows of any drug interactions I should watch out for it would be much appreciated. If not I'll report back on how my trip went. I hope to god it doesn't block it heh.

(disclaimer: I am *not* a pharmacist or any other kind of health professional, and you should probably ask someone with more knowledge than me. I'm also not responsible for typos in the transcription here, the pharmacist's writing is really hard to read!)
I'm also on Wellbutrin XL 300mg/day, but skip the dose on whatever day I'm planning to use MDMA (it doesn't significantly change how well the Wellbutrin is working for me and I don't think it can hurt to do so, though I have no real evidence it helps lower any risk either). I actually got a consult from a pharmacist a couple years back about the combination. Their transcribed notes are:
* Bupropion is a 2D6 inhibitor
* MDMA is a 2D6 substrate & has pro-setonergic properties
* therefore combo may result in raised concentrations of MDMA and increases the risk for seizures and toxicity.
* Also, MDMA may raise risk of seizures due to hyponatremia and hyperthermia
* because bupropion also lowers seizure threshold, combo may increase risk of seizures
* 1 documented case report of seizure with this combo

Recommendation: suggest avoiding this combo due to:
1. Increased risk of seizure
2. Increased MDMA levels
If patient wishes to continue using MDMA, may want to consider lowering doses.

References:
1. Desterhield JR et al. Psychosomatics 2004
2. Giorgi FS et al. Ann of New York Acad of Sciences
3. Lopez J. http://neurology.jwatch.org/cgi/content/full/2005/707/9 ( accessed Oct 30, 08 )

Mushroom-wise I haven't noticed any blocking activity at all.

Last edited:
yeah supposedly all stimulants are high risk seizure while on this. but i blew like 2 gs of coke anyway and was fine.... just gotta listen to your body i guess

(disclaimer: I am *not* a pharmacist or any other kind of health professional, and you should probably ask someone with more knowledge than me. I'm also not responsible for typos in the transcription here, the pharmacist's writing is really hard to read!)
I'm also on Wellbutrin XL 300mg/day, but skip the dose on whatever day I'm planning to use MDMA (it doesn't significantly change how well the Wellbutrin is working for me and I don't think it can hurt to do so, though I have no real evidence it helps lower any risk either). I actually got a consult from a pharmacist a couple years back about the combination. Their transcribed notes are:

Mushroom-wise I haven't noticed any blocking activity at all.

Nice post Maggie. You deserve a Gold star.