• MDMA &
    Empathogenic
    Drugs

Welcome Guest!
  • MDMA Moderators:

is mdma bad for you?

fuckkk

Greenlighter
the dumb title was to attract snobby intellectual people.
ok, so i'm going to have somewhat of a mini online debate with my cousin through facebook on whether or not i should use certain drugs. she is totally against drug use, but i think that she still believes the only purpose of drugs is to get "fucked up".
the first drug we were going to talk about was mdma. now she says that "mdma is characterized as an amphetamine or cocaine-like agent, and all these drugs stimulate dopamine receptors, leading to a dependence liability."
Then she said "MDMA causes marked-neurodegeneration of frontal cerebral cortex serotonin neurons. Paranoid psychosis is connected to chronic misuse of MDMA."

what i'm going to need here is help and info on how to retaliate these statements with reliable sources.

Why?
It is bad for you just like anything.
The more you use the worse it will be and the more damage that may be done.
Maybe you could do your own research such as looking in the Directory where there are a whole pile of studies some of whicvh will suypport your stance and some will support hers.

She's more right than you are.

Nothing is guaranteed however so it's the usual arguments of moderation vs. excess / risks vs. reward etc.

Much like an argument on alcohol or smoking. Acknowledge the risks, mitigate them, and make a choice. It's your choice at the end of the day. Don't argue about the risks, as they're usually the common ground.

Regardless of MDMA's effects on neutrotransmitters, you can abuse it if you have a personality that is prone to addiction.

Habits that people do not classify as typical addictions can very well indicate an addictive personality such as overindulging in food or spending.

If you abstain from all drugs, you won't need to have that painful life experience of finding out you are one of these people. If you are curious as to the experience of certain highs, then you should practice extreme caution.

i don't have an addictive personality, thankfully.

i've kind of realized i probably won't change her views, but at least i can better inform her.

thnx anyways BL

I don't believe there's any evidence that MDMA is bad for you if kept to once every 2 months or less. The trouble comes with people do it more often then that and don't give their bodies a time to recuperate. Pre/Post loading with antioxidants is important as well

*edit* I meant besides the base neurotoxicity which can't be that much if your doing it once every 2 months. Drinking would have a larger effect. I didn't mean to be so abrupt. With regards to your serotonin receptors though, you should be fine, right?

Last edited:
I don't believe there's any evidence that MDMA is bad for you if kept to once every 2 months or less. The trouble comes with people do it more often then that and don't give their bodies a time to recuperate. Pre/Post loading with antioxidants is important as well.

Not entirely sure this is true, but the level of impact is certainly governed by fairly remote odds.

Read my edit.

Even reading your edit, my friend you need to do some more research on MDMA. You can't just stick to your little monthly or every other month roll schedule and think nothing happens because your brain just 'regenerates' by then. Sure serotonin neurotransmitters will regenerate but there are other forms of damage and alterations you need to look into.

Even reading your edit, my friend you need to do some more research on MDMA. You can't just stick to your little monthly or every other month roll schedule and think nothing happens because your brain just 'regenerates' by then. Sure serotonin neurotransmitters will regenerate but there are other forms of damage and alterations you need to look into.

Like what exactly? Maybe it's because I don't know what to look for but I can't find any true evidence of anything besides the base neurotoxicity if your keeping it to once every 2 months.

I also said evidence. MDMA is illegal just about everywhere now so, given, there hasn't been many studies done recently.

Also, I said once every 2 months. If your doing it once a month your still building up a tolerance, albeit slowly. It's not that I don't think nothing happens either, it's that I highly doubt if you keep it to a 2month schedule that you have anything to worry about.

"mdma is characterized as an amphetamine or cocaine-like agent, and all these drugs stimulate dopamine receptors, leading to a dependence liability."

This is definitely a mischaracterization at best. MDMA is indeed an amphetamine but it primarily stimulates serotonin receptors, and affects dopamine only minimally by comparison. It's addicting in the way that World of Warcraft is addicting, not in the way that heroin is addicting, in other words.

"MDMA causes marked-neurodegeneration of frontal cerebral cortex serotonin neurons. Paranoid psychosis is connected to chronic misuse of MDMA."

That's a load of BS. Ask her for her sources, because that sounds like a page straight out of the DEA playbook. Neurotoxicity from MDMA in humans is still entirely theoretical, even in super-recreational doses, although it seems likely based on animal studies that high doses can lead to MAO breakdown of dopamine inside serotonin neurons, resulting in damage from oxidization. Still, it's an enormous stretch to say that it causes "marked neurodegeneration". Even if the worst reports are to be believed, normal recreational users who take commonly recommended precautions should never see any significant long-term side effects.

She's right about one thing; chronic misuse of MDMA can indeed result in down-regulation of serotonin receptors, which could lead to depression, and less commonly, paranoid psychosis. But when we say "misuse" here we're talking about someone popping at least a couple pills every day for a month, not a normal recreational user. Equating such abuse with normal recreational use is straw man argument.

Start here: http://www.erowid.org/chemicals/mdma/mdma.shtml

well if we are being realistic, surely its common sense that something that has so many effects on the brain must be causing some damage, even excercising damages the body but the muscles repair themselves and get bigger.
personally, the way i feel the morning after a nights drinking, it feels like some serious damage has been done to my brain, i would rather take an mdma comedown any day of the week

MDMA causes damage, but I feel that its benefits can outweigh its cost. I wrote a college thesis on medical uses of MDMA while (honestly) skipping over the negative stuff tongue in cheek or trying to discredit stuff (ironically the study i discredited was the one that wound up being discredited anyway for actually being methamphetamine.. lol). You can find it at:

http://ayla.sonicretro.org/english.doc

or

http://ayla.sonicretro.org/english2.odt

Your sister is right, it does cause damage. She is wrong about the adiction issue though, well, partly wrong. MDMA is not physically addictive, but if you enjoy using it you can develop mental addiction, but you already said you don't have an addictive persoanlity so that isn't much to worry about.

But if you want something that might help your arguement there's a documentary called Ecstasy Rising that makes some points. It talks about how the government exagerated the negative effects of MDMA and mentions its medical value. There's one part where someone in the film says that over the last 20 years they've used MDMA about 100 times and they feel fine. Of course, that's not scientifically backed, so it might not help much. Either way it's a cool little 45 minute video.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-1564288654365150131#

the most interesting fact from that documentary is that fact nobody died from E untill it was made illegal,