• MDMA &
    Empathogenic
    Drugs

Welcome Guest!
  • MDMA Moderators:

What goes on in the brain when you "lose the magic"

its.euphoric

Bluelighter
Like I hear a lot of people saying how they lose the magic, I'm just wondering, do you feel any different than before you started taking mdma?

Or is it only on mdma, that it doesn't feel as great as it use to? And every other aspect of your life is the same..

And what exactly is different for someone who has lost the magic

somebody source or correct me if im wrong but..

i believe that your neurons down regulate to counter act the excess of serotonin. over time your brain becomes more defensive of mdma so to speak because its less sensitve to the excess serotonin it has all the time.

hers what the receptors look like
2-dendrites.gif

So they would actually pull away from each other if its overstimulated by seretonin

People also get neurotoxic cause too much mdma causes unused neurotansmitter to break off into free radicals which oxidise and damage your axons cause of the peroxide dryin em up

shrivel.gif

interestin readin
http://www.dancesafe.org/slideshow/intro.html

As far as I can see it's been working, you've been posting pretty solid shit for at least the last week or so.

yeah, I remember when I first saw you on here and you thought nothing bad could happen from taking too many pills haha.

I think the Master is messin' with you guys half the time.

There are a lot of people (including us) experimenting with St. John's Wort to up-regulate those receptors. We can't post links to other forums but if copy the following phrase and search in google you will find it. Read the entire thread, it's fascinating!

st. john's wort returning the magic the quest

Does St. Johns Wort actually do anything?
And when you "lose the magic" it's just like what mastersplinter posted.
Its just that you become more tolerant to MDMA and excess serotonin. It still hits you, but its not as enjoyable.

I think the Master is messin' with you guys half the time.

There are a lot of people (including us) experimenting with St. John's Wort to up-regulate those receptors. We can't post links to other forums but if copy the following phrase and search in google you will find it. Read the entire thread, it's fascinating!

st. john's wort returning the magic the quest

ya I have heard of things regaining the magic... I have a question though about the receptors thing... Does this damage the brain when they like retract or whatever?

Like I hear a lot of people saying how they lose the magic, I'm just wondering, do you feel any different than before you started taking mdma?

Or is it only on mdma, that it doesn't feel as great as it use to? And every other aspect of your life is the same..

And what exactly is different for someone who has lost the magic

Imagine watching a really great movie. First time you see it, it blows your mind. Each subsequent time you see that same movie the response becomes less and less to the point where it could even become boring.

mdma is exactly the same and imo quite probably involves the exact same scientific reasoning.

Imagine watching a really great movie. First time you see it, it blows your mind. Each subsequent time you see that same movie the response becomes less and less to the point where it could even become boring.

mdma is exactly the same and imo quite probably involves the exact same scientific reasoning.

uh.. I thought the reason was because down regulated receptors? And I don't think euphoria could ever be "boring".

Movies are different because it's not forced "good feelings" upon you. When you don't know what to expect it's more exciting.

uh.. I thought the reason was because down regulated receptors? And I don't think euphoria could ever be "boring".

Movies are different because it's not forced "good feelings" upon you. When you don't know what to expect it's more exciting.

It doesn't matter if it's a movie or not. If you see a movie that you LOVE for the first time, it's amazing. The same as mdma. I'd imagine that most everyone's first roll is a spectacular experience. It doesn't matter if a feeling is forced or not, happiness is happiness. For me, every roll has been kind of different, because of set and setting. I know generally what's going to happen, but I don't REALLY know, and it's exciting.

What splinter did was take information from another area of mdma research and try to apply it to another. Your body down regulates a few days after rolling, it always does this. The information he tried to apply to losing the magic is involved with what happens after you roll and what happens if you do it too frequently. Eventually your body's receptors need more mdma because of frequent use. After prolonged abuse, your receptors can actually become damaged.

It doesn't matter if it's a movie or not. If you see a movie that you LOVE for the first time, it's amazing. The same as mdma. I'd imagine that most everyone's first roll is a spectacular experience. It doesn't matter if a feeling is forced or not, happiness is happiness. For me, every roll has been kind of different, because of set and setting. I know generally what's going to happen, but I don't REALLY know, and it's exciting.

What splinter did was take information from another area of mdma research and try to apply it to another. Your body down regulates a few days after rolling, it always does this. The information he tried to apply to losing the magic is involved with what happens after you roll and what happens if you do it too frequently. Eventually your body's receptors need more mdma because of frequent use. After prolonged abuse, your receptors can actually become damaged.

oooohhh.. ok.
Wait, so how much would it actually cause for the receptors to become damaged? And can they ever get back to normal?

Well I'm just saying with drugs, they force these feelings upon you. Like I've never had a time with alcohol where just because I hadn't done it very many times it felt better.

st johns wort wont do anything for tolerance.

from: http://www.sigmaaldrich.com/life-sc...nter/plant-profiler/hypericum-perforatum.html

In addition, significant down-regulation of B-receptor density and an increase in 5-HT2 receptors has been demonstrated in animal cortex following treatment with Hypericum extract.34 The number of both 5-HT1 A and 5-HT2 A receptors was significantly increased, by 50%, compared to controls in another report.70

34. Müller WE, Rolli, M., Schafer, C., and Hafner, U. Effects of hypericum extract (LI 160) in biochemical models of antidepressant activity. Pharmacopsychiatry 1997;30 Suppl 2:102-107.

70. Teufel-Mayer, R. and Gleitz, J. Effects of long-term administration of hypericum extracts on the affinity and density of the central serotonergic 5-HT1 A and 5-HT2 A receptors. Pharmacopsychiatry 1997;30 Suppl 2:113-11

oooohhh.. ok.
Wait, so how much would it actually cause for the receptors to become damaged? And can they ever get back to normal?

Well I'm just saying with drugs, they force these feelings upon you. Like I've never had a time with alcohol where just because I hadn't done it very many times it felt better.

That's because alcohol rots your mind and your body. I only wish you could roll as frequently as you can drink and be fine. Alcohol and MDMA are two VERY different drugs, so comparing them (or the high they give) is like comparing moldy bread and a fresh apple. They both fulfill something (satisfying hunger if still using the food comparison) but are completely different.

I'm not exactly familiar with how many times you roll in a certain span of time before your receptors become damages, but it is commonly thought that (not necessarily known as a fact) that rolling every month or so will be fine. Rolling more frequently than that can cause damage to your axons.

Plus you have to consider the dosage. It may be that rolling often with a moderate amount does not do any damage, but will lose the magic through down-regulation and inadequate time for serotonin replenishment. Both of which can return with time.
However, often users will increase the dosage which may end up being the real problem. At this point though no one is really sure...so proceed with caution!

edit: PLUS, there's also the antioxidant question too; moderate dose with liberal antioxidants could equal zero damage.

Last edited:
!

edit: PLUS, there's also the antioxidant question too; moderate dose with liberal antioxidants could equal zero damage.

I thought oxidative stress and the dying neurons were different things? Or do they affect each other?