• MDMA &
    Empathogenic
    Drugs

Welcome Guest!
  • MDMA Moderators:

Misinformation

Dahli

Bluelighter
It concerns me how much misinformation is out there about MDMA, even among people who say they're seasoned users. Here's my little story-

I was at a rave last Saturday, waiting in line at the restroom when I struck up a conversation with a young raver girl. Wide eyed and full of smiles she told me this was her first time rolling. As I tried to think up some words of wisdom another girl came out of no where and this was the conversation we had:

Miss Information: This is your first time rolling!?
Little Raver: Yes!
Miss Information: Do you have any water? You NEED to drink water.
Little Raver: No... I don't have any. Why, is that really important?
Miss Information: Yes! If you don't drink water when you're rolling you WILL fry your brain.
Me: Woah, wait-
Little Raver: I'll fry my brain!? (She started looking very very scared.)
Me: You're not going to fry your brain-
Miss Information: You WILL fry your brain. You need to be drinking lots and lots of water.
Me: Drinking too much water is just as dangerous as not drinking enough. Just drink when you're thir-
Miss Information: Do you have any money for water?
Little Raver: Er, no...
Me: (Hands her two bucks, Miss Information takes this from me and runs out to get the girl water.) Look, just drink water when you're thirsty. Drinking too much can be dangerous too. Don't let the girl scare you, you'll be fine.
Miss Information: (Returns with water) Now makes sure to drink a bottle of water at LEAST every hour. Oh, and don't sit on the speakers while rolling. Your lungs WILL collapse.

Later I caught the girl alone and reassured her that she'd be just fine. I even gave her my number so she could ask me any questions or what not.

And even later I found a boy who told me that he knows E will put holes in his brain, but he's done it 4 times in the last month anyway *facepalm*. After a little chat he decided it might be a good idea to save E for once a month and agreed that it was too good of a feeling to abuse and "lose the magic."

Anyway, it disturbs me that so many people can take this wonderful drug and NOT have done a little research about it or anything. And how many people not only believe rumors but go as far as to spread them to new comers and scare the crap out of them.

I know no Bluelighters are gonna go around raves and give newbies something to stress over, but have you guys met any others spreading misinformation?

Yes, in fact, most everyone I know who rolls believes in the usual rumors--brain holes, chug water, etc. None of them even know how MDMA works--aren't they the least bit curious?

I don't like it, but I can't blame them. It's challenging to find legitimate information on the proper usage of an illegal narcotic. I do my best to educate them and give some reading homework, and hope it makes an impact.

Welcome to the world of raves.

Everyone is either a noobie or a self proclaimed expert. but by the time they realize they don't know their ass from a hole in the ground it too late.

It was that way in my time, it is that way now, ans it will be that way far into the future :(

Ugh. It is truly disappointing when false information about MDMA is pressed into the minds of people. It's even more disappointing when people believe it :( This could entirely be avoided, if people did their research. Unfortunately, some neglect to do so.

Haha, I remember when I was in middle school and even high school, I used to believe all those lies about ecstasy. It's really scary, the "myths" people have made up about MDMA over the years!

If MDMA and/or "ecstasy" really put holes in our brains when consumed, my brain would look identical to a wiffle ball!

these kids these days are totally fried dude. They are not even worth trying for. Waste product of the Bush generation. I say let em fry.

All raves are about are mainstream drugs, marketing and music. Its making a ton of money for those of us involved in there production.

these kids these days are totally fried dude. They are not even worth trying for. Waste product of the Bush generation. I say let em fry.

All raves are about are mainstream drugs, marketing and music. Its making a ton of money for those of us involved in there production.

This is a harm prevention site, you know that, right? I've come across people spreading misinformation about mdma like it's the word of god. I usually explain exactly how they're wrong and ask them never to spread lies again. The myths about rolling and mdma seem to be MUCH worse than almost every other drug. At least the only thing people seem to find wrong with acid is, "omg my friend knows a guy who thinks he's an orange juice glass!"

Your story kind of reminds me of the first time I did nitrous. A couple of my friends were doing canisters, I had opted out of doing nitrous for a very long time for personal reasons. There was a girl with us who had never done it before. I thought it would be funny to tell her somethings about it that weren't true. I said that sometimes you might hear popping, and that's the sound of synapses in your brain exploding. Of course I scared the shit out of her, so I told her that I was kidding and I would do a balloon if she would do one. She agreed, feeling much better about the situation, so I tried it for the first time.

I'm in a way offended by that comment. Not to be getting on your case cause its halfway true. But there is still hope for my generation, I know I'm only 17 but i do have character and respect, even though i do drugs. I actually wanna do something with my life and become a man, unlike all these kids now a days who think its cool to be stupid.
And its not always the kids fault. Most of us have no role models growing up, we just have are friends, who are usually bad influences on us.

Just have faith and educate us, because we are more than likely to listen to people who do things we can relate to such as ecstasy rather than are parents/guardians who yell and scream at us when we really never listen anyways.

Just have faith and educate us, because we are more than likely to listen to people who do things we can relate to such as ecstasy rather than are parents/guardians who yell and scream at us when we really never listen anyways.

Thanks for that. Comments like that are what keep me talking to the kids at raves with the respect I think they deserve. That and the little raver girl telling me how safe I made her feel.

I'm 25 but have only been going to raves for a little under a year... and already I feel like making up business cards with info for Bluelight and Pillreports and tips on how to roll safely. But I only go to raves every few months so... I dunno.

But yeah, I didn't know much about MDMA the first time I did it, but before my second go at it I knew more than most these kids that have been doing it for years do. I don't know if they just don't know how to use Google or maybe there's some sort of fear/denial thing going on...

Miss Information (good name LOL) can work that poor new roller into a panic- E is a very "thinky" drug, and getting lost in your own thoughts and head is usually a fun aspect of it, but if someone gives you an image of your lungs collapsing, or your brain "frying", you can really freak out. =/

Hope that chick wound up OK- I meet first time MDMA users almost every weekend at a club, and I usually make my conversations with them about them and their life, and what they want to talk about- I think you inherently know when you need more water, when you need to sit down, when your body is exhausted, or when you need to dance....

Great example of why I want to get some business cards out there so hopefully we can provide a simple method for people to get edumacated.

i gave up trying to help people understand shit a long time ago. I've had people get mad at me for spreading "misinformation" when I told them that their pills weren't cut with mescaline and that ecstasy didn't make part of your brain melt down your spine (how the fuck can you even think this???). Only real way to make this end is to stop teaching abstinence / ignorance and teach harm reduction instead.

After graduating high school and getting into the rave scene, I had no clue what ecstasy was. I just thought raves were good fun, and everyone was there to dance. /facepalm I'd never smoked weed and I'd rarely drink. It wasn't until my now best friend told me what was up with the scene, and how ecstasy is a part of it. After learning about MDMA from her and planning a night to do it for the first time, I read up on it and did a little research to learn what I was getting myself into. Since then, I've gained so much knowledge about it. I make sure to research whatever I put into my body before I do it. Whether it be MDMA, acid, shrooms. I can't imagine why anyone wouldn't want to be smart.

I can't think of any one situation where I've discussed MDMA with others who were misinformed. I know it's happened at least once at a rave I went to some time ago. I think it had to do with pillreports. They had no clue what it was, and was just blindly popping pills. I gave them the website and told them to check it out for their own safety.

Great example of why I want to get some business cards out there so hopefully we can provide a simple method for people to get edumacated.

I want to do this. One of my friends said she'd go to a rave with me sober while we're on a break from MDMA. I usually don't want to go sober, but if I have a purpose of edumacation... I think that'd be just as fun. :D

At first, my friends were all very much like this. Over the years, they have come to listen to me on these matters. They are still occasionally quite skeptical. Especially when I tell them that mushrooms don't hurt their brain (significantly according to any trials). Mostly because my friend too guilt ridden to ever NOT have a bad trip >.>

It happens....

Personally, i blame government fearmongering and Oprah....

They spew information like they are credible sources and that is all most people hear up until the point where they smoke week and realize the government lied to them all these years. So they eat ecstasy and do it retardedly.

I think most people know that water is neccessary.....

There are definitely kids who overdo it though...

Ravers will be ravers I'm a seasoned raver and for awhile I belived holes...brain bla bla but no after I found BLUELIGHT! :)

really, schools need to seriously reevaluate their approaches towards educating youths about drugs. abstinence only education didn't work with teen pregnancy, and certainly hasn't helped with drugs.

it's time for the US government to grow up and accept that recreational drugs aren;t going anywhere, and that they are only doing smart young adults a disservice by feeding them false information or trying to "scare them straight."

those who are curious WILL do drugs, and uninformed explorers are LESS LIKELY TO TAKE THEM SAFELY. they do not know what is a dosage, the effects drugs have on the body, how to combat negative neurological impacts the drugs may have.

Kids are not shown the therapeutic nature of drugs like MDMA or LSD. All drugs are approached as party drugs, as things to take at any given time (often in excess).

it's depressing and breeds an unhealthy counterculture that perpetuates the stereotypes