• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

A.A./N.A. to attend or not to attend

missunderstood

Bluelighter
I was introduced at an extremely young age to A.A. My oldest brother has struggled most of his life with drug and alcohol. All of my weekend outings were to the latest rehab my brother was in. I attended group therapy,alanon,N.A. through out my teenage years. I myself have reached out in the rooms (witch i happen to find rather ironic.) Thier rule to live by is... substance free. I have been considering finding a meeting, I am sure it would do me good. But on the other hand I would have this guilt inside because I am NOT substance free, I am being treated for panic disorder and ADHD both are being treated with narcotics at the moment. I happen to get alot out of the meetings and not to mention it would help to end this awful social anxiety I have developed. So I would like some feed back on this. I could sure use some advice. Thank you bluelighters<3

I know people who are recovering alcoholics and always will be alcoholics and have an alcohol addiction yet they still smoke herb and smoke it daily or quite often.

I don't think that they mention this at meetings that they go to weekly.

:?Yeah I am sure it is more often then not, I wanted to see other peoples views but no one wanted to post on this. Oh well, maybe it was a dumb Question?:(

I don't see the problem with going to a meeting while still using. the meetings aren't JUST for people who have quit their DOC, they're for anyone who wants to, is thinking about trying, or anything! as long as you get something positive out of it then I'm sure even the counselor there will tell you that's a good thing

I know people who are recovering alcoholics and always will be alcoholics and have an alcohol addiction yet they still smoke herb and smoke it daily or quite often.

I don't think that they mention this at meetings that they go to weekly.

Recovering alcoholic here who will most definitely always be an alcoholic. Yes I smoke herb sometimes and do psychedelic drugs on occasion. I do not go to meetings for this reason. I can't stand the black or white, all or nothing approach. I can understand it when it comes to the substance that's an issue, but not all other substances possible. That way of thinking makes no sense to me, so I just can't take part in it.

Go! I'm actually going to my mom's three year birthday tonight for A.A. She swears by the meetings and the program in general. It helped her get clean and I'm really happy she was able to make the change. I can honestly say she is a much happier person and her life has improved in so many ways its ridiculous.

Now I'm not saying it's a miracle cure but what harm is it going to do. The meetings are filled with people who have/had the same problems and are there to help each other.

The only requirement for membership is a desire to quit drinking/using, if I remember right. Differnt meetings and different regions to some extent as well,deal with people using in their own way. NA often asks people who have used today to refrain from speaking in my area. A lot of meetings only get concerned about using if it causes someone to be a disruption. If its doing you good to go then I say go unless someone makes it a problem.

I think meetings can be good. They've helped me in the past, but right now they're not really helping me. It all depends on how much you can accept to change drastic parts of your life. I found being clean was really great, and I felt a lot fresher. But there was always that part of me that still wanted to get high, and because of that, as of late I've sort of lost some faith in the program. However, I think that it can be a great thing for people if they do it.

I used to be a real hater of meetings to be completely honest, but I've come to realize, that no ones forcing you to do anything (at least at the ones I attend to). People always have let me shared even if I used. There are many kinds of meetings, some suck, and some are great. It's unfair to base the whole philosophy on the practices of one meeting.

You think like I do. I think if ya want negativity ya find it....and I used to be great at keepin secrets all of a sudden I have to be completely honest WTF, I don't know if I am cut out for it !!!!!! I don't have to tell all I suppose. And I have found out in my life NOTHING OR NO ONE are what they appear to portray.

No secret is too much for the meetings to handle. I have heard some absolutely shocking stories from AA people, stuff that I could never believe people would put themselves through. Say whatever you feel comfortable with but no matter what they will listen to you.

If you have the will power attend the meetings regularly, do not try to half ass your way through the program or you won't get anywhere.

:|I know this, but having an issue with being perscribed a medication that has kept you in control of yourself after years of being in all out war with your own mind. So that is the problem with the meetings. I have to believe their are many recovering souls in the rooms that have my same issue but just don't tell.

I say definitely go if you are serious about quitting.

Only go if you are willing to put 100% total effort into this.

I would say go. Remember AA is about alcohol if that is your addiction take full advantage of what they can offer you. I am sure a medical reason to be taking a substance is not seen, in their eyes, as a horrible thing. If you feel its beneficial to you, then by all means, go share and help. I am currently going as a stipulation of my probation, so I understand where you are coming from. I by no means want to quit, however I am forced to go so I simply listen and give feed back.

A lot of folks that struggle with AA (or NA, or any xA) do very well with REBT (Rational Emotive Behavior Therapy) and SMART (Self Management and Recovery Training) Recovery programs.

You can find free SMART meetings in many city's now-a-days.

It works on the premise of rational behavior.

A lot of folks that struggle with AA (or NA, or any xA) do very well with REBT (Rational Emotive Behavior Therapy) and SMART (Self Management and Recovery Training) Recovery programs.

You can find free SMART meetings in many city's now-a-days.

It works on the premise of rational behavior.

Well I sure appreciated that I never knew about them meetings but I never had luck before so what should be different now...lol..pisses me off there are two in the state I live in that are open to the public and I am no were near either. :(well I will keep looking for them they will catch on at least I think they should. And now I am very curios when did they start them ?? I wonder what it takes to start one in your town or city? I thank you again that is interesting to me, to say the least.=D

I'm also going to start going to meetings. I have their literature and I like the philosophy behind it. I feel that the only substances that should not be taken are ones that have a negative effect on your life, ones that cause the addiction in you. Some substances are like insulin and we can't live w/o them. For example I can not give up my pain meds because I would not be able to function. I just don't want to abuse them. I want to treat these meds like diabetics treat insulin. Yes they can be addictive but u wouldn't tell a diabetic to stop taking insulin and start living their life w/o medications. I still wanna do the steps and talk to people about my problems with addiction. Maybe at some point in the future I will be able to give up pain meds but not today or anytime soon. And I still feel that I can benefit a lot from NA/AA.

People will always talk shit and think they have all the answers to everything. I just accepted that I will have to do what is best for me and tune out the negativity from other people. If it wasn't for pain meds I would have absolutely no quality of life and I don't care to suffer just so I can say that I am totally substance free. It's just not worth it and I can benefit from NA just as much as other people. People don't have more of a right to NA than me just cuz they can be completely substance free and I can't.

I'm also going to start going to meetings. I have their literature and I like the philosophy behind it. I feel that the only substances that should not be taken are ones that have a negative effect on your life, ones that cause the addiction in you. Some substances are like insulin and we can't live w/o them. For example I can not give up my pain meds because I would not be able to function. I just don't want to abuse them. I want to treat these meds like diabetics treat insulin. Yes they can be addictive but u wouldn't tell a diabetic to stop taking insulin and start living their life w/o medications. I still wanna do the steps and talk to people about my problems with addiction. Maybe at some point in the future I will be able to give up pain meds but not today or anytime soon. And I still feel that I can benefit a lot from NA/AA.

People will always talk shit and think they have all the answers to everything. I just accepted that I will have to do what is best for me and tune out the negativity from other people. If it wasn't for pain meds I would have absolutely no quality of life and I don't care to suffer just so I can say that I am totally substance free. It's just not worth it and I can benefit from NA just as much as other people. People don't have more of a right to NA than me just cuz they can be completely substance free and I can't.
I feel horrible right at this moment......I have been so wanting to get to a meeting and were I live they are far and few between it makes me say fuck it. I just need a distraction in the mean time and bluelight is the shit.....love you bluelighters I just wish I had some friends here that I could look forward to. I feel like I am in the middle of a field with out my cloths on....:( shit

AA is good for any substance that you feel you need to quit. After the physical withdrawals from a DOC are over, I believe that the psychological effects are very similar across the drug board.

I just got out of detox and have been hitting AA hard, with literature in every different room and almost ten meetings this week.

I am the most cynical person I know, which makes it an uphill battle with regard to AA and spirituality. However, being sober and attending meetings regularly while engaging my mind with good (not necessarily AA endorsed) companion literature has really given me a new lease on life right when the bill was too big for me to handle alone.

NA Meetings

Hey everyone,
I am struggling with an opiate addiction and am getting nowhere. Do NA meetings help with quitting? I've never been to one but the movies lead me to believe that everyone just gets up in front of everyone one else and pitches their "woe is me" story. I don't see how that helps.

I also voluntarily checked myself into a treatment center. I was there for a couple of days and the only thing that happened was a group session in which we played some screwy children's game. I have no idea what that had to do with helping drug addiction. I was also under the impression they were supposed to help with the physical withdraw symptoms and detoxing; I received nothing.

What am I doing wrong?

Any insight would be great. Thank you all.