• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Smelly feet

ebola?

Bluelight Crew
Hey all. So...I have a semi-embarrassing issue that I thought I'd ask a few thousand ravers and junkies about.

I'm a very sweaty person, and when sweat dries, it emits an odor most foul. My shoes have accordingly been impregnated with something a bit grosser than what my armpits are capable of.

Part of the issue is that I only really wear a single, particular pair of shoes, and this pair is a couple of months shy of 2 years old.

I've tried off-brand for Gold Bond foot powder, with moderate success.

Suggestions

You could try the Odor-Eaters powder aerosol spray. I've used that and it has worked well. It's effective at keeping my feet dry and odor-free; in addition, it helps alleviate odors already in my sneakers.

Cheers.

I'm pretty sweaty myself, although not so much on my feet. Still, I find that if I wear the same pair of shoes for too long or too often, a smell builds up. It's not what you want to hear, but more shoes means less odour.

vegetarian, although involving more convenience food (and likely dairy) than is ideal. This issue correlated with moving to a warmer climate rather than any particular dietary changes.
Moar shoes. got it. This pair's likely approaching its demise anyway.

ebola

At the very least, having two pairs of shoes would help. One for when you're on your feet/ sweating a lot. Then another for when you're just going out for a bit. Getting the shoes sweaty, then taking them off only to put them right back on to go out that evening never lets the shoes dry out. That's a perfect breeding ground for funk.

You could try carrying a pair of socks around and changing when needed...

Also you could try antibacterial soap (safeguard) in the shower. I wouldn't use it on you face as it might dry the sensitive skin out, but I use it everywhere else.

You already know my take on the matter - which would be to buy a couple new pairs of shoes. You know how to reach me if you want some kicks bathed in the blood of children in sweatshops at a discount, lol.

You also know where the dollar store is if you want to get a couple new pairs of socks.

;) <3

Always wash your feet well with antibacterial soap and water and dry them completely before wearing your socks and shoes. If you don't have clean feet, or your feet already smell and you wear your shoes (new or not) it will just make things worse. Putting plain baking soda in your sneakers or shoes after wearing them helps tons too (just make sure to get em all out later!) After making sure your tootsies are clean AND dry, then you can apply foot sprays or powder before putting on your socks. I'm sure this will help you :)

I'm sooo anal about clean feet. I even put alcohol on them whenever I get em dirty or I whatever =D

Leave them outside at night , and wash them out regularly.

I don't wear socks anymore, and I know that helps a lot.

Step into the shower without having a towel down on the floor. Wash your feet thoroughly and step out onto a clean towel. Wait until they dry and put clean socks on before you walk around.

good suggestions, though i already do that when showering.

Go to a grocery store and pick up some vinegar. Plain white vinegar, the cheapest kind. Lots of it.

Go to a dollar store and pick up a tupperware container large enough to put one foot in.

Each night for the next week... Pour enough vinegar to soak foot, covering toenail. If tupperware container is not big enough to soak entire foot in, just soak the front half, making sure all toes are submerged. Hole foot in vinegar this way for twenty minutes. Either do one foot at a time, or get two tupperware containers, one for each foot. It's easy to do. Don't count the minutes. Just soak while you're on the computer or reading or chilling out. If you lose track of time, you won't do any harm.

When done, close the container(s) (hopefully they came with lids) and put away somewhere until next night. (can use several times, but I'd change every third time or so, at most)

Repeat this every night for one week. After the first week, do every other night for one week. Third week, do every third night. Taper down to once a week. Then, once every other week. Then, as a profilactic, you can do once a month.

White vinegar kills all bacteria on contact, with no side effects. All natural. And CHEAP!

Get used to drinking lots of water. Cut out sugar! Either cut out or cut back on alcohol. If you do drink alcohol, increase your water intake even more.

There you go. Remedy should cost you two to three bucks to start and then a couple of bucks or less a week for the first month, then a couple of bucks a month total.

I had a problem with smelly feet years ago. Smell went away with diet, but later developed nail fungus. Hard, brittle, thick yellow nails. Doctors had me on ointments, potions, lotions, then pills. Almost gave up my liver to Lamisil. Fuckers. Two dollar cure and my nails were as good as new again in less than seven months (nails take a long time to grow out). Passed this on to many people since. Everyone is constantly amazed at the results.

Last edited:
Something that helps a favorite pair of shoes dry out quite a bit faster is to stuff the shoe with crumpled up newspaper. But a single pair of shoes is really inadequate ime. They need some breaks to really air out. I have a huge bag of cedar shavings and filling a pair of shoes with them neutralizes most all the odors fairly quickly but if you haven't had pet rodents recently you probably are not likely to have a big bunch of cedar or pine shavings on hand.

You could rub a gel anti-perspirent on your feet, the aluminum chloride coumpounds will decrease perspiration for a few days at a time but some people have health concerns about shutting down sweating - I have never researched the issue.

^Yeah, I'm not sure I'd put antiperspirant on my feet... ;)

Good suggestions, y'all.
SA: what type of diet (besides the aforementioned characteristics) would likely reduce foot odor?

ebola

Good suggestions, y'all.
SA: what type of diet (besides the aforementioned characteristics) would likely reduce foot odor?

ebola

Mainly eliminating sugars and alcohol, ebola. Alcohol kills beneficial bacteria, allowing bad bacteria to flourish and sugar helps fuel the latter as well. The key for now is to kill the existing infestation. The vinegar foot baths do that very effectively and with much more appeal than, say, bleach baths. You do have to disinfect your footwear too, while doing the routine for the next few weeks/months. This goes for both old and new footwear. Just get a spray bottle from the dollar store and do a few squirts into your shoes with either a vinegar or a bleach solution every few days, making sure to air them out properly every night.

In general, what produces the most in body or gastric odours, in my experience? Milk products. The only milk product I would consume is kefir, either home made or from a reputable source (not the commercial "Now with real bacteria. No, really, trust us!" type). In small doses, though, or you'll be fighting yeast overrun.

go vegan, get new shoes (love my Earth brand fake-leather kicks -- never a scent), DO NOT wear them without fresh socks, change your socks after six hours, listen to Lovage, collect those "do not eat" things and put them in your shoes overnight, don't lend your shoes to my moms, avoid sprays and powders in the shoes, vinegar soak your feets, shower daily and keep your feet dry. good luck, stinky.

^^^^^
This problem was just as bad when I was vegan.

This problem has become trivial now that I'm wearing my shoes for under 3 hours per day.

ebola

Try buying new Insoles and bleaching those suckers (your feet) Thats how I make my smell disappear just a little bleach before every shower let it sit for a min and viola.