• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Just drank Two Month Old Bottled Water That Was Opened 2 Months Ago.

daddysgone

Bluelighter
hey guys
Im a bit concerned about some water I drank a few hours ago.
I asked my girlfriend to get me a glass of water (I meant from the tap) but instead she poured a glass of water from a big plastic jug of bottled water that I had opened about 2 months ago and since then it has just been sitting on my counter (the cap was on the bottle but again, I did open the bottle about 2 months ago).
So basically this jug of water was opened 2 months ago and has since been sitting on the counter and my gf accidentally poured me a glass of it a few hours ago.
Do I have anything to worry about?

I know that if it had been unopened it would be fine, but because I opened it a few months ago and it has since been sitting unrefrigerated, is it likely that I just ingested a whole bunch of bacteria?

What do you guys think? Is this likely to make me sick?-DG

No, I think you are probably fine. I've drank much dirtier water (directly from a river..) and I never got sick from it.

If the jug didn't have any noticeable mold or anything I would be surprised to hear of you having any ill effects. There are bacteria everywhere, and our bodies are good at handling them. That said, pour that water out and don't keep drinking it : p

You're going to die. Horribly.

Can I have your stereo?

Seriously though, it's fine. Unless someone has been licking it every day, or otherwise specifically contaminating it, it'll be drinkably clean. Keep in mind that your body has excellent defences against all but the most virulent bacteria.

You might get sick, but the serious illnesses which are the type to kill a man are all one of either A. Cannot survive in water or B. Are in water which is nowhere near yours. Giardia, Botulism, Cholera, etc., all need to come from somewhere. Unless you were dipping raw or rotten meat into that bottle or you filled that bottle straight from a lake, you're gonna be alright.

You think that's bad; I drank water that I'd put creatine and beta alanine in the week previously. Only after I took a gulp or two did I smell that it was probably rotten. I didn't die, if you were wondering.

People in third world countries drinking fetid sewage laced river water, if they can even manage that would kill for that bottle of two month old water.

Keep that in mind. :)

No two months and one day is the cutoff point. You'll be fine. One more day though, and you'd have AIDS right now.

The water is actually billions of years old, it just got put into a bottle two months ago, you're not going to have any problems.

there is something that can make you sick from bottled water. IDK what its called but i know somebody who get really sick, similar to food poisoning, from drinking a water bottle that had been opened months ago and was sitting in her car half full. something about the plastic and bacteria.

there is something that can make you sick from bottled water. IDK what its called but i know somebody who get really sick, similar to food poisoning, from drinking a water bottle that had been opened months ago and was sitting in her car half full. something about the plastic and bacteria.

the worry was about bisphenol A, a toxin in certain plastics used to make hard re-usable water bottles (nalgene style bottles) but not present in the thin-walled disposable types. when it comes to bacteria in water, it's typically not harmful unless it's visible (eg. algae/cyanobacteria)