⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Film & TV Moderators: ghostfreak

FILM: Altered States

Rate this movvvvvie!

• Total voters

treezy z

Bluelighter
1980 directed by ken russell.

this movie is absolutely fucked. it seems to be based on john lilly but twisted into a sci-fi/horror version.
it's awesome, one of my favorite movies. totally trippy/crazy as hell.
i watched it on dxm and weed and it scared the shit out of me, was better when not tripping.

cool, i bought this in one of those cheap bins of dvds at like wal mart or target i think for a few bux. it is indeed based on john lilly. anyone into psychedelics would love it imo. great visuals for 1980.

here is a dope music video with scenes from the film. Rumblejunkie - Dope Angel

I saw this a few years ago while under the influence of dxm as well. It was interesting until the guy started turning into a wolf? After that I lost quite a bit of interest.

A great movie, so unnerving that I keep it as a rarely-viewed treat. Also one of the few films that I hated at first, but which has grown on me with successive viewings.

^Ok, well an animal. Some sort of predator that devours other living animals alive with it's teeth and comes out at night. Lol. I can't remember if he was a wolf or not.

His last trip in the tank where the room gets sucked in and he turns into a blob was great. This film really rattled me the first time I saw it too. I like the shot where he's sitting at the table in the garden (with all the sunflowers behind him) with his wife.

I gave this 4 start btw. It's an undeniable cult classic, especially for Bluelight.

Ha, Belisarius posted.

I might have to take another look at this through sober eyes.

Saw it sober, was expecting something a bit more cerebral... I can see why others like it but it got way too caught up on "exotic" special effects towards the end, lost all believability. IIRC he morphed into something akin to Australopithecus, an apelike precursor to humans. I feel like they could have gone about the whole "primal transformation" theme better. The first half sets it up as very serious and thoughtful and it ends up getting overshadowed by cheesy effects.

Two stars from me; not a really bad movie by any means, but wasted potential as I see it. I actually think this is just the kind of movie that could benefit from a modern rebooting/retelling.

^ I agree mostly with HRP.

This film was ok, but definitely failed to do whatever it had set out to do.

I thought this movie was awful, personally. I had heard a lot of hype about it, so perhaps my expectations were too high. When my friend mentioned that it was much better viewed with the mindset that you're watching a grade-B '"so-bad-its-good" movie its more enjoyable, and I could imagine that. But as for the "psychedelic masterpiece" that I was told that it was, highly disappointing.

The philosophical implication of the film seemed to be that the pursuit of knowledge, understanding, and experience is fruitless and dangerous, and that one is much better off sticking to worldly matters. That did not sit well with me. What sat even less well was the film's treatment of the Amanita shamans who are depicted as savage, evil, black magickians. I found that to be highly offensive. The obvious association with John C. Lily's work also seemed offensive as, under that view, the "message" of the film and the depiction of the "doctor's" obsessive madness appeared as an invalidation of Dr. Lily's work.

It goes without saying that this movie left me feeling a good bit of unnecessary anger.

I have not read the book, but I was a huge fan of Network, a Paddy Chyevsky script. Supposedly Chyevsky also was very angered by the directions the film took and worked to get his name off the film, which he was unable to do.

as a drug user everyone owes it to themselves to SEE it. i personally think its a lil slow moving tbh and the trip he has in the cave is a lil silly imo

I actually liked it. But ive only seen it 3 times and atleast 2 times was on shrooms and the other a fuckload of hash. Didnt have the dissociatives around like ketamine back then only PCP and fuck watching a movie like that on PCP 8o