• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Does Australia Day mean anything to you?

Pleonastic

Bluelighter
Does anyone here celebrate Australia Day? Does anyone here stop and reflect on what it means to be an Australian? Does anyone here go out and buy little Aussie flags and put them on their cars? Would anyone here even care about it if it didn't mean a day off work?
The big irony of the day is that it's very Australian to consider doing those sorts of things an absolute wank. So by not celebrating Australia Day are we actually celebrating it in our own special and very Australian way?
Discuss... :)

Australia day is just like Christmas without presents and decorations. I haven't ever bought an Australian flag and never reflected back on the great things of this country. In fact, I look back and reflect on the number of opportunities Australia had and how we constantly threw them away. I look back at our cruel past and see that little has changed. In many ways, being Australian stinks.

^^ That's beceause you have St. Jean Le Baptiste day, or whatever his name is. :p
I found that Australia Day meant absolutely nothing to me, until i moved overseas for a little while. Once i was there, i went from being one of the least patriotic people in Australia to one of the proudest Aussies out there. I can't really explain it, but i think there is something about being surrounded by a culture that makes us oblivious to it, thus unable to appreciate it. Slowly i'm finding that i'm slipping back into my old way of thinking about Australia, but whilst overseas it was almost like my identity... i was Australian, and that how people saw me: Misty the Australian.
But pft... living here makes it mean less... i think it's very aussie that we have a separate holiday for it when it falls on the weekend... ;)

I honestly have no idea what Australia Day is supposed to symbolise...But it was always my impression that it was a day for us Aussies to "throw a shrimp on the barbie" as it were...and get really drunk with our mates and have a good time.
That's what it means to me...although recently it's become more of a "goto BDO or numerous parties and get fucked up on pills" as so many other holidays have become.

australia day..
my grans bday,
public holiday.. 250% pay ;)
BBQ's.
did i mention WORK!? :/
[ 25 January 2003: Message edited by: PlAyDoH ]

In fact, I look back and reflect on the number of opportunities Australia had and how we constantly threw them away. I look back at our cruel past and see that little has changed. In many ways, being Australian stinks.
You fucking idiot. You absolute fucking dickhead. You don't have a clue at all, do you?
No one is keeping you here.

Australia day? Bunch of fucken cunts mate!
Bazza! Bazza! Pass us the VB will ya?
Sheryl! Come over here ya bitch, show us yer tits! Fucken cunts!
Australia Day's about celebratin our great Australian way of life, and smackin them boong cunts up, and stayin away from the chinks, and wogs and all them fucken cunts. Its about crackin open a coldie before havin a root in the back of yer Holden Ute.
Australia day, MAAAAAAATE She's bonza!
-plaz out-

Originally posted by Raving Loony:
In fact, I look back and reflect on the number of opportunities Australia had and how we constantly threw them away.
And what exactly is that supposed to mean? I for one think we live in the greatest country in the world, and i never feel prouder to be an Aussie than on Australia Day.

Auatraila Day for me means kickin back havin a beer and listenin to the hottest 100 but that's on the day before Aus Day this year
So Aus Day i'll be doin some shopping, goin for a swim at my local beach saving a beer or two from the day before so when i get home i can sit back in my hamock have a cold one and think about nothing :)
[ 25 January 2003: Message edited by: tari_aja ]

/\ /\ LMFAO @ plaz!!!
Originally posted by Cosmic Mist:

I found that Australia Day meant absolutely nothing to me, until i moved overseas for a little while. Once i was there, i went from being one of the least patriotic people in Australia to one of the proudest Aussies out there.

/\ Totally agree, once you see other countries it becomes obvious that this is the best farkin country in the world. So Australia farkin rawks and you should be all saying oi oi aussie aussie or something like that on Australia day. :)

Australia day doesnt mean much to me at all, that said, tomorrow is my first year anniversary of being a citizen of this wonderful place. The whole ceremony meant little to me, truth be told the thing I'm happiest about is that I'll get to hear the JJJ 100 countdown without being at the BDO for once :)
All that said... I dont need a particular day to appreciate the country because I can guarantee you not a day goes by that I dont stop and say 'Well just fuck me, I really do live in one of the best places on the planet'.
This country rocks, the people here rock, the quality of life rocks, the fact that I dont have bars on my windows, my neighbour doesnt own a small arsenal and my house is filled with nice things because weve got a decent economy, and the fact that I've got a job all rock.
Australia, your a magical place, and anyone who tells you otherwise has their head so firmly up their arse they need it extracted for a brief second to see what the rest of the world is like.
Oh yeah, the dance music scene in melb is cranking too :p

OK I admit, it's a rather personal thing, but to say that I have no fucking clue mister is just a cheap shot. Personifying the case is my dad. He invented a very useful invention that would cost a grand total of $50 per unit. It reduced the cost of small engine airplane flying costs by 30%. Not bad since you use a SHITLOAD of fuel to fly a plane. Anyway, the then Civil Aviation Authority didn't give a slight shit despite all the technical data and with an ingenious PHD in chemistry to back it up. He had to get it approved in the US (which took about 1 week) and now the sell 10,000's everywhere and he only gets a fraction of the royalties. Then all of a sudden they approve it for use in Australia (with no modifications) "because if it is used in the US, it must okay then". This shit has happened so many times throughout Australian history because we just don't support those who are actually to trying to reverse the International Trade Defecit. Australia is just all image and no application. Where is the thriving education system or R&D sector that is going to Advance Australia Fair?
There are aspects that are great, like climate and personal security. But in many ways, we are just lapdogs to the outside world who are too gutless to stand and be counted for.

Australia Day is my Nan's birthday and that is probably the only reason I celebrate it.
Doh! it's your grans birthday too?!?! :) Yey! for granny's brithday day :D

being born in new zealand and not australia it doesnt really symbolise much for me either. *personally* i am more new zealand than i am australian any day. i have lived in australia most of my life but am still dedicated to calling new zealand my home.i am blessed to be here and love autralia but australia day is just another day for me.
this day in 1985 my parents became australian citizens

australia day hasnt really meant anything to me before. not really too sure why. perhaps one day that'll change however. for now its just another excuse to get drunk

I find it ironic that plazma constantly ridicules Aussies and the Aussie way of life when he is the biggest fucking bogan I know. Seriously.
In all honesty, I don't know what Australia is celebrating besides the fact most of us get a long weekend (and that's good enough for me).

Australia day to me either means double time and a half, time in lieu or a day off work.
I'll be spending the Sunday working and the Monday at BDO. It doesn't mean a lot to me, I just cherish the little time I get off work so I make the most of it! ;)

Australia day means heaps to me, especially now that I am overseas realising just what Australia has taught me about living life and being happy. Australia has so much to offer, I can't wait to go back again.
Bring on the sunshine, beaches, super friendly, outgoing people, nice houses, great recreation, and good jobs. Don't take it for granted.

Australia Day is my kitten's birthday, so I celebrate that.
Otherwise, no.