• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

why can't pregnant women work?

Artificial Emotion

Bluelighter
I am in no way saying that I think pregnant women should have to work, but I was wondering, what is it in particular that makes most pregnant women unable to work before they are, for arguments sake, 6 months pregnant? Do they just tire easily?

^^ Not sure where you're getting this information from mate, because pregnant women CAN work, and they frequently do. A lot of pregnant women work all throughout the pregnancy until about 1 month to go. And some crazy loons work all the way up until just a few days before the due date!

But especially prior to about 6 months in to the pregnancy, sure some (most?) women will be much more tired than usual and some are often really sick with morning sickness, but most of the time this doesn't actually require them to not work at all. Obviously if the woman's job is particularly labour-intensive or subjects her to dangerous situations etc, then they will most likely not be able to continue doing that type of work. But in most situations working isn't an issue for pregnant women.

Obviously as the pregnancy gets closer to term there are many reasons why a woman might reduce her work hours, or stop working altogether. The extra weight of the baby puts a lot of strain on the body so they tire easily and need frequent naps throughout the day. There are also issues with fluid retention in the legs so they need to elevate their legs/feet frequently to try and alleviate the swelling. There are other reasons too.

Last edited:
I've been working with a pregnant woman in a job involving some decent amounts of physical labor(frequently bending down and lifting 20+ lbs, and lots of movement) for several months now. Of course she takes it easier than the rest of us, but she definitely works. 6+ hours shifts btw.
She is 22 and I believe she is expecting in 2 weeks :)

I'd say MOST pregnant women work up until at least 8 months.

I've been working with a pregnant woman in a job involving some decent amounts of physical labor(frequently bending down and lifting 20+ lbs, and lots of movement) for several months now. Of course she takes it easier than the rest of us, but she definitely works. 6+ hours shifts btw.
My daughter is 20+lbs and not walking, I carry her for waaaay more than 6 hr shifts lol I'm 7 months pregnant.

The only reason a pregnant woman would have to stop working before delivery is if she were working near chemicals that could be hazardous to the baby. Or if she had a VERY strenous physical job, but even that is debatable I think. My mother in law worked as an aerobics instructor till her 8th month.

One of the best co-workers I ever had was pregnant the entire time she was working there. She worked up until pretty close to her due date.

By 7-8months most pregnant women find lugging a bowling ball size belly around awfully tiring but it really is job dependant. I mean it is difficult to turn tricks in the front seat of a car with your belly always hitting the dash. ;)

I'm inclined to believe that the OP is confusing "Maternity Leave" for actually including the pregnancy period (err does it? Now I'm confused!). But I could be wrong.

(err does it? Now I'm confused!)

It certainly doesn't here in Aus. I have no idea about other countries though. I would assume not though, because as we've ascertained here, it's not really necessary to take leave during most pregnancies, just afterwards :)

^ Thanks for clarifying. I sort of doubted myself after I wrote it down :D.

When I suggested a woman who was 10 weeks pregnaant get a job sitting in front of a computer everyone gasped and started suggesting I was a chauvanist pig.

Well to be fair, depending on the pregnancy, the sickness/nausea that comes along with it could leave a woman unable to work.

Well to be fair, depending on the pregnancy, the sickness/nausea that comes along with it could leave a woman unable to work.

You'd have to be sick enough to have to stay at the hospital with an IV stuck in you. I was extremely nauseated my 1st trimester of my 1st pregnancy and I could still manage to sit behind a desk. I could barely make it to the bathroom without puking first....but I could still make that money honey

My daughter is 20+lbs and not walking, I carry her for waaaay more than 6 hr shifts lol I'm 7 months pregnant..
Lol, I didn't even think of the weight of the baby, I was just talking about the regular lifting and such our job requires. So I guess it's like 20lbs+ in addition to the weight of the baby she's carrying.

I just started maternity leave at 8 months and boy was I ready! My job involves a lot of walking though. I probably would have lasted longer if it was a desk job. In Australia maternity leave starts when you finish up work while pregnant. You need a doctor's certificate to work beyond 36 weeks, and a doctor's certificate if you finish up earlier than a certain time - I think it's about 30 weeks. You are entitled to a year's maternity leave (unpaid). Some organisations also give you 4-14 weeks paid.

I don't think your comment was inappropriate but I think many employers would hesitate to employ a 10 week pregnant woman - regardless if it is discrimination. So you either lie (and your employer will find out very soon anyway) or you are upfront and probably not considered for the job - unless it is a temp position or the like.

Lol, I didn't even think of the weight of the baby, I was just talking about the regular lifting and such our job requires. So I guess it's like 20lbs+ in addition to the weight of the baby she's carrying.

I think you misunderstood me, I am 7 months pregnant AND have a 1yr old daughter that is over 20 lbs. There is no way that the baby inside could be 20lbs, although its highly likely that the woman at your work has gained more than 20lbs as a result of the pregnancy. I was comparing my 1yr old daughter to whatever 20+lbs the girl at your work has to carry....does that make sense??

I think you misunderstood me, I am 7 months pregnant AND have a 1yr old daughter that is over 20 lbs. There is no way that the baby inside could be 20lbs, although its highly likely that the woman at your work has gained more than 20lbs as a result of the pregnancy. I was comparing my 1yr old daughter to whatever 20+lbs the girl at your work has to carry....does that make sense??

No I understood your post, I was only saying that I wasn't even thinking of the extra weight of the baby she's carries when I said "regularly lifting 20lbs+".

You must be quite strong(both physically, mentally, emotionally, and spiritually) to be working in this way. Be proud :)