• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Getting off opiates trying to eat healthy

jake99

Bluelighter
im 11 days off dope and trying to get healthier................wanna quit smoking and eat better
i eat barely any fruits or veggies
Anyone know if Ensure is a good supplement ?
or if taking a vitamin is same thing ?
im really picky eater and dont know how to eat healthy

just eat proper meals with fruit and veg mate...drink fruit juice if eatings hard...smoothie etc

i dont eveen know what to eat . dont like fruit and veggies much what kind of smoothies ?

Hey jake... if you're not used to it fruit and veges won't be that great. but the more you eat them, the more you get to like them.

You could take a whole lot of expensive nutrient and fibre supplements, but fruit and vege are cheap as hell.

Start with salads. Lettuce, tomato, maybe mushrooms, chuck in some chunks of cheese. It doesn't really matter, just whatever you like.

Fruit is fun... go to a green grocer just by one or two pieces of anything that looks halfway interesting. Bananas, apples to start... whatever fruits are local to your area. I'm lucky because I'm in Australia... mangoes are the best fruit when it's in season and we get some exotic asian stuff sometimes too.

It really doesn't matter what you eat. If it's a vegetable or fruit then it's good for you. Take it slow and don't get discouraged. Good luck!

I really dont eat any fruit or veggies except maybe apple, or brocoli...............

I really dont eat any fruit or veggies except maybe apple, or brocoli...............

Well then start dude, shit you said you're trying to eat healthy. Well not eating fruits or vegetables is NOT trying to eat healthy. Tough it up, eat it. You'll feel better :)

As far as I know, there isn't anything "extra" you need to eat when tapering. Healthy food is healthy food, and c'mon man, you know what's healthy and what's not :\
Eat fresh, organically grown(ideally) fruits/veggies raw. If you enjoy things like pasta or rice make sure it's only whole wheat pasta and brown rice. Avoid caffeinated beverages(tea is ok).
Take your supplements(vits/min/ω−3s, etc.) as well.

Take an all around vitamin too if you don't eat that much fruit/veg.

Seriously man it up and just keep eating/drinking it! I mean I know I've tasted a lot of disgusting chems and shit in my life that I can pretty much now eat everything i hated.

Introduce some veg into a meal, say sausages mash pea's,carrot..whatever, drench it with lots of gravy and other condiments like apple sauce. Your taste buds will get used to it..there maybe a few things you simply cannot abide...fine, at least your eating all those other goodies.

Smoothies/protein shakes also FTW, make them yourself and just down one everyday.

Good luck!

This is a good start dude! I mean the sight of broccoli on my plate would seriously once put me off my entire meal.... I'd say broccoli is seriously up there on the "not to tasting veg" list.

Introduce some veg into a meal, say sausages mash pea's,carrot..whatever, drench it with lots of gravy and other condiments like apple sauce. Your taste buds will get used to it..there maybe a few things you simply cannot abide...fine, at least your eating all those other goodies.
You call this a 'healthy meal'?

lazygit said:
Smoothies/protein shakes also FTW, make them yourself and just down one everyday.

About the only good advice your post.

I don't think 11 days clean is the best time to start obsessing over "healthy" eating (the proper time for that, I believe, will be in a month or two). Right now, you're probably just starting to feel..."OK-ish" [yeah, I know, it sucks]...again. IMO, your focus should be on gaining back some lean bodyweight you probably lost during the course of your habit. To this end, you should concentrate on exercise and "comfort foods" (which are the good ol' fashioned fattening and "feel good" foods like fried chicken, whole milk, snickers bars...FRIED snickers bars, etc).

^ I mean if I was in your position (and I definitely have been. trust me.) I would go with this. 11 days clean is a great start. but it's not too long in the grand scheme of things. so I'd just focus on that for a few more weeks. eat what you want, and then when you've really gotten over the worst of it focus on eating healthier and maybe start working out some.

but if you're going to eat healthy, that crossfit thing is pretty good advice, look up what exactly is a starchy vs. fibrous carb, look up the importance of protein and things like that man. and sorry but the folks who said "suck it up and eat the veggies" are right man. eating healthy pretty much equals eating fruits and veggies. period. so if you're serious about it, then the veggies will have to be eaten. I'd still take a vitamin. a few extra grams or milligrams of healthy shit isn't gonna hurt you.

the folks who said "suck it up and eat the veggies" are right man.

Yep, "healthy eating" sure ain't about eating what tastes good.

Breakfast:

1 cup of vegetable juice

1 cup of skim milk

1/4 cup walnuts

1 scoop of whey

All mixed in a blender.

Bon Appetit mother fucker!

So, you see what I was saying about this not being the ideal thing for somebody who JUST quit heroin?

I'd agree that now's not the time for an overhaul of your diet - you're gonna be craving comfort foods/junk food, especially on subs.

You can still start introducing healthier foods, though - eat an apple with your fried Snickers bar or get whole wheat pasta for mac 'n' cheese. :) Eat things you enjoy, but try to make small changes. Like when you're getting groceries, just pick up a couple healthy things and try 'em - there are plenty of foods that are good for you that don't involve wheat germ or tofu. And simple things like switching to a healthier sweetener or buying organic milk are easy to do but get you in the habit of thinking about what you're eating.

If you do decide to switch to an uber healthy diet later on, it'll be less of a shock to your body (and your taste buds) since you've slowly introduced real food and aren't going from Big Macs to carrot juice.

I don't see anything wrong with making a few changes, but don't try to follow a diet plan or anything. And if it starts to stress you out, just don't worry about it and try again when you've been clean a few months. Good luck, dude :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazygit View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazygit

I never said it was healthy, but introducing veg into ones diet is healthier yes. Sausages. mash, peas, carrots, gravy and some apple sauce is quite a healthy meal anyway. The dudes a picky eater so if he wants to eat chips and a fucking banana with it its a start.

My bro is the pickiest eater ever so I know how he's implemented a healthier diet over the years.