• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos Tagamet Potentiation question

U4IK

Greenlighter
hey i was wondering if when you take a tagamet to potentiate benzos, if the tagamet affects something in your bloodstream or if it is a digestive thing. I was wondering this because i like taking it sublingual but i didnt think a tagmet would potentiate it. Anyone know?

there is a liver enzyme that breaks down opiates/benzos/certain other drugs

taking cimetidine (tagamet) inhibits the action of that enzyme. the drug has a higher peak and a much longer duration as a result

just like your neurons get tolerant to extra drugs, that enzyme can down-regulate itself as well. you may end up boosting your drug metabolism once you stop taking tagamet if you abuse it / use it for a very long period daily

it works quite well for many so be careful

Temazepam, lorazepam, and oxazepam are not potentiated by tagamet. Other benzos are for the most part.

yeah. see this chart...

... hey were did that chart go?

Given clonazepam is a benzodiazepine and if Captain's reply holds water, then no it will not. Clarification is needed.

Tj

It should be, clonazepam isn't temazepam, lorazepam, or oxazepam. However there might be more exceptions than those three.

I know cimetidine potentiates alprazolam and diazepam.

we could settle this with the CYP450 chart :)

i remember seeing clonazepam on there. i've been using it for years, i used to take tagamet with it, mainly for opiates though

I love the search feature :)

I have Soundpharm’s CYP450 chart that I use as a quick, general reference- very helpful, albeit not exhaustive. Those benzos in italics are ones where IME the “standard potentiators” do in fact potentiate, e.g. diazepam, alprazolam, and most certainly IV’ed midazolam, however cimetidine has become part of my “diet” in that it I take it with all opioids other than codeine (which I don’t take anyway) and tramadol, plus with all hypnotic (and “semi” such as bromazepam) benzodiazepines- I have a script for clonazepam (my “least favorite benzo” albeit therapeutic in that I’ve never had the urge to increase my dose, although I’ve taken 15+mg and gotten nothing in return other than sedation quickly followed by sleep)- thus I don’t bother trying to potentiate that.

Point being, I’m on both bromazepam and (one of my favorite benzos) temazepam atm… temazepam IS on Soundpharm’s chart, albeit not in italics, under CYP3A4. However I did a quick Google search as I was interested in the extent to which cimetidine, specifically, may potentiate it and found the 2006 article “Noninteraction of temazepam and cimetidine” in Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences: http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/journal/113308255/abstract?CRETRY=1&SRETRY=0

“Abstract:
The possible kinetic interaction of the hypnotic temazepam and the H2-receptor antagonist cimetidine was evaluated. Nine healthy male and female volunteers received a 30-mg oral dose of temazepam on two occasions in random sequence, separated by at least 1 week. On one occasion, temazepam was given in the otherwise drug-free state; on the other, temazepam was given with concurrent administration of cimetidine, 300 mg every 6 h. Mean pharmacokinetic parameters for temazepam in control versus cimetidine trials were: peak plasma concentration, 560 versus 498 ng/mL; time of peak concentration, 2.0 versus 2.1 h after the dose; volume of distribution, 1.30 versus 1.39 L/kg; elimination half-life, 9.9 versus 11.4 h; total clearance, 1.59 versus 1.60 mL/min/kg; free fraction of temazepam in plasma, 4.1 versus 3.8% unbound. Cimetidine has been shown to reduce the metabolic clearance of the benzodiazepines that are biotransformed by oxidative mechanisms. Temazepam, transformed by conjugation, appears unaffected by the coadministration of cimetidine.”

I like this abstract as they didn’t simply use null hypothesis testing and list p values, a rather backwards and primitive statistical method not to mention ultimately meaningless on its own, but rather gave actual (meaningful) numbers which make it quite clear IMO that cimetidine will not potentiate temazepam.

I’m not one to see an interesting abstract and post it in ADD or for that matter pose it as a question and post it in OD without searching BL first- perhaps why I’m a Greenlighter despite my join date and extensive use of BL ;)

A simple “+temazepam +cimetidine” search came up with a plethora of threads… so again, I love the search feature, and I love BL =D

Question answered definitively… although I’m quite sure I’ve read the benzo exceptions before, perhaps it’s the temazepam/bromazepam/clonazepam/rectal buprenorphine at work %)

yeah. see this chart...

... hey were did that chart go?

are you referring to the pdf chart Soundpharm posted (I downloaded it, but idk how to upload content) or a different, newer one?