• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids opiate irritability

b4rd

Bluelighter
Its quite obvious that users of opioid drugs sometimes can get very, very, irritable. Even over small things like your mom asking you a question, and then SNAPPING at her.

So I know that people get irritable, but WHY do people get irritable? I would think that with endorphins flooding my brain, that aggression would be the last thing on my mind, but this is obviously not true.

That's a really good question. I have noticed this in the past, more so with hydrocodone than any other type of opiate.

Good question. Sometimes when I'm on them I'm happy as a clam and other times I have a very short fuse, and off of opiates my fuse is generally very long

we had a thread about this pretty recently, i forget what it was called but if you search opiates and anger itd probably come up.

i know it sounds odd but alot of people get irritable on opiates, usually when theyre coming down, but for some people it happens when theyre high too. with opiates you dont really have endorphins flooding your system though, its more that the drugs themselves are activating opiate receptors, which in turn trigger secondary effects on mood.

one of those secondary effects is dopamine activity in certain reward centers, but there are others. no one neurotransmitter is really responsible for a given mood, and emotion is a highly complex activity, but the simplest theory i can think of is that for some people, the patterns of electrochemical activity in their brain caused by opiates results in an unpleasant irritability instead of a pleasant stimulation. its just due to people being wired differently, you know? kind of along the same lines as how other people enjoy drinking, smoking pot, huffing jenkem, etc., and other folks don't even see how those activities can be enjoyable in the least.

Pallidamors gave you alot of good information. I for one, get slightly irritable on opiates, especially heroin and even some benzos, like xanax. I think it's what Pallidamors said as being a secondary effect taking it's toll or new found place in your brain. It all boils down to brain chemistry and the rewiring that accompanies it afterwords.

i also feel this same effect, especially when i mix opiates with diphenhydramine....

the old thread about this was called "opiate Rage" i think..

I find that all euphoric drugs are capable of making me irritable. It is no doubt a paradoxical symptom, and becomes more pronounced after prolonged use. For example, when I first started using Coke/Opiates/Amphetamines/Benzos the euphoria was first and foremost. But after time went on, the euphoria of course diminished and I would find myself getting agitated over the smallest things that would not bother me in a sober state of mind. Carisoprodol almost always makes me feel great for about an hour, before making me irritable as hell. I almost don't even like Soma anymore because of exactly this.

As far as Opioids, I find that the semi synthetic Thebaine derivitives Hydrocodone and Oxycodone, particularly the latter, tend to make me the most irritable, when compared with Morphine or Heroin etc.

The only time I would become irritable in active opiate addiction would be when I was out of drugs and was dopesick. Who isn't irritable when they're in withdrawal?
When I had opiates in my system and was high, feeling the rush, at that time I would be as far from irritable as it gets.

its true and a good point . it happens to me of otheir things to if i take 10mg valum im cool beans feel chill and relaxed if i take 20mg im a total doushbag ...weird

on any dose of opiates i am the nicest and most polite and patient person ever

no exceptions

Even though I would be feeling awesome, it seemed like I simply could not be bothered while opiated. If my wife would ask me simple questions, it would interrupt my euphoria and I would get snappy.

I think i get kinda snappy because I'm enjoying the feeling so much and I dont want people to ruin it lol

God finally some other people who have had this! I always get super irritable when I'm high on the stuff. Some more than others. Like when i would take Darvocet-N because i had nothing else, i would take like 8 of them and i would be feeling really good, but if somebody said something that just didnt really have the right tone i wanted it to have, then i'd get really mad. I never knew why. I've always wondered. And not a whole lot of other people i know have had this happen. It's like 2 ends of emotions, really happy and feeling good, and then really pissed. Back when i was in middle school when i'd take a shit ton of Benadryl to get high, i would get really really pissed. Just at everything. People glancing at me made me mad. Probably because i was having such a shitty high and praying it would wear off.

I've noticed this, only with my ex though and she was *REAL* good at being a huge fucking cunt. Now I'm single and happy as ever to nod and enjoy my high all in my lonesome.

OMG! This is SO SO bad for me tonight. Every thing that happens whether it is someone in the room picking up a glass to the cat being in the room irritates me to no end. I am in a constant state of pissed off and I don't know what to do about it!
BL please help!

^
The only thing I can think of is smoke weed or get away from everyone.

This occurs to me more often when I've been using frequently. Like if I were to relapse the first day or 2 I'm all chilled and happy, but by the third day things can start pissing me off.

This is day one in awhile. But then the last couple times I've used it there has been no one around. I'm just afraid I'm going to go off on my bf and that isn't fair to him and I really don't enjoy being unhappy or annoyed with him. :(
Weed isn't helping.