Forum Rules Film Chit-Chat
    Recently Watched Best Documentaries
    ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Film & TV Moderators: ghostfreak

tv: The Pacific (WW II miniseries)

Belisarius

Bluelighter
Anyone else stoked about this?

My WW II interests lean more to the ETO myself (particularly the Eastern Front), but it's great to see a genius like Spielberg focus on the Pacific Theater.

Yes, pretty sure it will be a The thin red line meets Flags of our fathers.
No Letters from Iwo Jima.
Special effects will be good no doubt.

Damn! I am excited!

The Pacific is a 2010 ten-part television World War II miniseries, produced by HBO, Seven Network Australia and DreamWorks, which will premiere March 14, 2010.[2]
It is similar, although unrelated, to Band of Brothers. Whereas Band of Brothers focused on the United States Army's involvement in the European Theater of Operations, the new series will be about United States Marine Corps's actions in the Pacific Theater of Operations.
The Pacific is being spearheaded by Bruce McKenna (co-executive producer), who was one of the main writers on Band of Brothers. Hugh Ambrose, the son of Band of Brothers author Stephen Ambrose, will serve as a project consultant.[3]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Pacific_(miniseries)

The Pacific is a 2010 ten-part television World War II miniseries, produced by HBO, Seven Network Australia and DreamWorks, which will premiere March 14, 2010.[2]

Lulwut? I wouldn't be getting too excited if 7 are in on the gig, they're not known for quality 8o

Don't forget Tom Hanks. Tom Hanks easily does as much work in creating this as Speilburg, if not more.

I have been a Band of Brothers fan for nearly 10 years. It's one of my favorite series to watch for sure. It's like watching cable but a higher version of it. Because, "It's not TV, it's HBO." :)

I'm so psyched to see this come out. I agree with Belisarius though about how they need to get an eastern front done. When you think about it though, this was definately the right move. The pacfic theater is almost entirely forgotten about to many people aside/if not for the atom bomb. Even in Band of Brothers they were acting like the war was over just because Hitler was dead. Please, the Japanese were far more ruthless than the Germans, they just weren't as stupid...like having a holocaust. You can't make people your slaves if you have a holocaust.

I read in the local paper the other day that one of the main characters in this show is from San Diego, and there's a place in Little Italy named after him. Tom Hanks even came down to help install the plaque made for him in front of some restaurant. Should of seen this as a sign they would be making The Pacific. I guess he even went to boot camp just north of here at Pendleton. There's a section of freeway I've seen a thousand times that's named after him. God that's sad that it took a TV series to find out who he was. Oh well. :)
It'll be interesting to see that kid from Jurassic Park in this. I haven't seen him in anything since then. I wonder if he still sucks. :) lol, the most memorable thing he's done in my mind was getting shocked by an electric fence.

It's out there now.
Not to bad and the next parts will be better no doubt since the first Band of Brothers was a bit slow to.

That first episode was fucking tight!!! I have nothing but the highest expectations for this show after what I saw last night.

I heart HBO.

Yea it's gonna be epic. I can honestly tell it's going to be great, judging from the first one. The main guy in this comming Sunday's sode, who enlists and is on the ship saying, "Is that what the enemy is to you!??!" He's from San Diego. There's all this shit here devoted to him, was a very well known and liked man.

I really liked the first episode.. However I find it a little too romantic, just like Band of Brothers. I think Generation Kill beats both of 'em.

I really liked the first episode.. However I find it a little too romantic, just like Band of Brothers. I think Generation Kill beats both of 'em.

Want some rip fuel Iceman? "STFU!..take those goggles off!"

...yea, but the combat in BoB and the Pacific are truely epic, where as with GK it's more or less "cool"...don't get me wrong I love that series, but it doesn't come close to BoB /P.

Feels just like a poor mans version of BoB, should have changed it up a bit.

Im dissapointed with this it falls way short of the bar set by band of brothers. The combat scenes are not very realistic or compelling and I dont think the characters are as colorful or fleshed out.

Im dissapointed with this it falls way short of the bar set by band of brothers. The combat scenes are not very realistic or compelling and I dont think the characters are as colorful or fleshed out.

I agree, though I do enjoy the combat. I think the location has a lot to do with it not living up to Band of Brothers. Instead of being in Europe with diverse terrain, towns, and civilians to interact with they are stuck on a small island with only themselves, the Japanese, and the jungle. They don't have a lot to work with. But I also find the characters aren't nearly as compelling either, the only characters I can recognize are Leckie, Sledge, and the tooth stealing guy, whereas with Band of Brothers you could pick out quite a few and you could see their individual personalities and relationships. Whereas with The Pacific they all seems interchangeable

I haven't even watched the last episode yet..it's on my DVR though. It's like fucking an ugly girl after having just broke up with a super model.

I wish I never saw BoB before this, you know? It's like popping not even enough codiene after you were an IV heroin addict. The combat scenes are very good though, and expected. Here's to hoping they keep the fire burning on those and cut down more on all this really slow moving "dramatic" (and almost entirely unwanted) bullshit.

Last edited:
I've seen all six episodes and I love it. More than Band Of Brothers actually, but I can see how some would disagree.

Its getting really intense now as they island hop more. Episode five reminded me of Saving Private Ryan, when they landed on the beach the fighting was extremly intense. Episode two was great and four, five and six have been getting better and better.

I love the special effects, though once in a while it looks a tad fake its almost always spot on. In episode two when John lifts the gun and burns the shit out of himself and merks like a hundred japs I was lovin' it. And shit, he got the Medal Of Honor. Awesome series.

I really enjoyed lasts nights episode (number 6). I think it finally hit the right balance between character development, action, and story progression.