• ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
    Forum Rules Film Chit-Chat
    Recently Watched Best Documentaries
    ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Film & TV Moderators: ghostfreak

Film: Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil

axl blaze

Bluelighter
just saw this movie, after reading the book at a leisurely pace.

I thought it was great! a solid directorial performance by Clint Eastwood, and a very great/diverse cast with Kevin Spacey as a wealthy man in Savannah, Georgia who throws the most smashing Christmas parties every year, where all of the social elite rub elbows.

a murder occurs in the late hours of his party, as Jude Law plays the hustler who gets shot. John Malkovich plays a Yankee journalist who gets sent down to capture the party for Towne & Country magazine, but ends up staying to cover the sordid and interesting murder trial that develops.

I think Clint Eastwood languidly captures the essence of the way of life in Savannah. the black tranny also turned in a comedic performance, that is a perfect dichotomy from the seriousness of the trial, that should make most biological female divas red with jealousy.

the voodoo lady has a great part too, as the end seriously contemplates the power of the dead over the living.

I loved this movie - what did you all think? I was surprised to find it that Rotten Tomatoes found it barely "fresh"

Another undervalued gem IMO.

I had it on DVD a few years back. I remember enjoying it immensely and being taken with John Cusack's performance (although if John Malkovich had played the role, I'd have found it even more interesting ;)).

Cusack tends to play a very similar role in all his films, tinged with apathy or ambivalence, but I found it worked well within the context of this film.

May have to source a copy and watch it again.

I thought he was Cusack was okay, as you said I thought it was on par with his usual okay performances. thinking of John Malkovich in the lead role defintely... intrigues me!

Jude Law did his best Georgian redneck impersonation. I was delighted it came from an Englishman.

also, the cameo appearances from Uga, the mascot of the American college football team of the University of Georgia, was great. the defense lawyer was one of the best performances of the whole movie as well. I wish their was some more bits of John Odom (I think) the piano player. he was the epitome of Southern American charm.

even more voodoo would have been great too!

but yes, overall a very interesting/undervalued film. I'm glad another person can agree with me on this :)

I just saw it again for the first time in years a couple of weeks ago. Such a fun movie.

"I'm not giving you money for liquor or marijuana cigarettes...."

Awesome movie. It was cool to go to Savannah and see all that shit too. Especially the Cemetary.

yeah, I think I am going to go to Savannah in the summer. reading the book and watching the movie, I feel as if I have already been there.