• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

a balanced diet for body and mind.

GruntedButtChowder

Greenlighter
hi!

for over a year ive been thinking about how it would make my mind and body feel to eat completely nutritious foods for every meal. i was wondering if you guys could help me construct a one day meal plan that is perfectly balanced?

i dont want to eat for pleasure but rather for fuel. so taste isn't the most important thing. ive tried to construct my own meal plan before but i din't know what i was doin. would it be healthier to have many small meals a day or the classic breaKfast, lunch and dinner?should salt be cut out completely or is it essential? any help would be cool :)

The key is just to recognize what's actually food and what's not. Most of the shit you buy at restaurants and whatnot, is not real food. Its some other sort of crap that may or may not have been formulated from something that was once real food; its high in fat and salt, which tricks your body into thinking its satiated while its really starving for vital nutrients.

Variety is really the key to health. Always aim to eat a staggeringly wide variety of different types of fruits (fresh and dried), nuts, seeds (hemp seeds every day! with every meal and between snacks, I'm not kidding its one of the best things you can do for yourself), veggies, legumes, soy in moderation. Meat can be good in moderation, but not if its factory-farmed. Just be smart and listen attentively to your body-- do what makes you feel best. And drink yerba mate from time to time. :)

Oh, and one more thing. Avoid artificial sweeteners at ALL COST! They are poison, pure and simple. Any type of sweet "diet" drink is loaded with that toxic garbage. Aspartame, acesulfame potassium, saccharin, sucralose: there is no such thing as safe exposure to these chemicals, consuming them is ruinous to one's body and mind.

The key is just to recognize what's actually food and what's not. Most of the shit you buy at restaurants and whatnot, is not real food. Its some other sort of crap that may or may not have been formulated from something that was once real food; its high in fat and salt, which tricks your body into thinking its satiated while its really starving for vital nutrients.

Variety is really the key to health. Always aim to eat a staggeringly wide variety of different types of fruits (fresh and dried), nuts, seeds (hemp seeds every day! with every meal and between snacks, I'm not kidding its one of the best things you can do for yourself), veggies, legumes, soy in moderation. Meat can be good in moderation, but not if its factory-farmed. Just be smart and listen attentively to your body-- do what makes you feel best. And drink yerba mate from time to time. :)

Oh, and one more thing. Avoid artificial sweeteners at ALL COST! They are poison, pure and simple. Any type of sweet "diet" drink is loaded with that toxic garbage. Aspartame, acesulfame potassium, saccharin, sucralose: there is no such thing as safe exposure to these chemicals, consuming them is ruinous to one's body and mind.

What do hemp seeds do?

Also I know that artificial sweeteners are bad but how bad are they for you and what do they do to the body/mind? I don't know anyone who has never ever had any of them or a diet soda or splenda or any of that. A friend of mine he used to love drinking Tab soda which has Saccharin in it even mixed booze in it and he wasn't on a diet when tab was more popular than it is now.

Hemp seeds are a real good source of natural protein and omega 3 fatty acids. I put 'em in my morning smoothie with banana(s), nut milk and bee pollen. delicious start to the day.

And seriously... EAT YOUR VEGETABLES every day. It makes you feel great, body and mind.

And if you wanna eat real healthy, research vegan/raw. Ho man. ho man.

choline is claimsed to be an important for the brain. Propel is for the mind has it in it.

breakfast: raw oatmeal w/ low fat yogurt, honey & a banana + 2 eggs if you wish
brunch: a grapefruit
lunch: whole wheat pasta w/ home-made sauce + whatever vegetables you want
linner: handful of nuts (almonds or walnuts are good), some mixed bean salad with lentils if you wish
dinner: salad with whatever vegetables you want.

that's how I eat everyday. not much variety, but I think variety is overrated. If you stick to the same things, food becomes fuel, not a personal pleasure to indulge in.

also supplement with a big multi-vitamin and flaxseed oil.

Im all for healthy eating, but COME ON PEOPLE! Dont we all love chicken, fish and occasionaly red meat too!

well I for one could not live without any source of meat. Theres nothing wrong with moderate intake and infact it can be quite healthy - fish has a number of benefits - omega 3 etc etc

well I for one could not live without any source of meat. Theres nothing wrong with moderate intake and infact it can be quite healthy - fish has a number of benefits - omega 3 etc etc

walnuts have plenty of omega 3. flaxseed oil... etc

Meat is not unhealthy, but you can definitely live healthy without it.

A variety of vegetables is necessary to get vital nutrients and fiber, as Roger says. They do not only contain the well-known vitamins and minerals, but also other healthy compounds called phytonutrients, which have anti-oxidant functions in the body. Many of them are anti-inflammatory - ginger and garlic being two prime examples.

Also, the right balance of fatty acids. Get plenty of omega 3 - from fish, hemp seed or fish oil, and try to cut down on the higher omegas (found in vegetable oils). Coconut fat is very good even though it's saturated - in fact saturated fat is better than polyunsaturateds such as omega 6 & 9 which lower the omega 3 ratio. Nuts are good for healthy monounsaturated fat in addition to minerals and protein.

I would cut out milk products, since they contain hormones that are unnatural for our bodies (there is a correlation between milk intake and acne, for example) and even if you're not allergic or lactose intolerant, your adult body really isn't cut to handle milk.

You could also look into GI - eat less fast carbs like pasta, fries, wheat cereals etc, and more slower carbs like quinoa or oats. In fact, you will probably benefit from lowering your total carb intake and eating more fat, since the current recommendations from health agencies are way too high on carbs.

One last pro-tip: eggs contain almost all the essential micro-nutrients and complete protein.

Last edited:
You could also look into GI - eat less fast carbs like pasta, fries, wheat cereals etc, and more slower carbs like quinoa or oats. In fact, you will probably benefit from lowering your total carb intake and eating more fat, since the current recommendations from health agencies are way too high on carbs.

One last pro-tip: eggs contain almost all the essential micro-nutrients and complete protein.

whole wheat pasta and whole wheat cereal are certainly NOT "fast carbs."

"fries" can be made healthily: I chop potatoes, drizzle with olive oil and seasoning, and bake them in the oven. They aren't as complex as whole wheat pasta, but they are perfect for after workout meals, when faster carbs are nice for speedy recovery.

If we arent supposed to drink milk, how do we get enough calcium (without supplements)?

If we arent supposed to drink milk, how do we get enough calcium (without supplements)?

I don't drink milk, nor do I eat meat. Most of my calcium comes from yogurt, cheese, and multi-vitamins.

I would cut out milk products, since they contain hormones that are unnatural for our bodies (there is a correlation between milk intake and acne, for example) and even if you're not allergic or lactose intolerant, your adult body really isn't cut to handle milk.

You're a little off on your facts here. First, milk contains natural hormones and (if you don't drink organic milk) it may also contain Bovine Growth Hormone (and thereby, IGF-1).

All milk has the natural androgen hormones that cows (and humans) produce. These are, in no way, unnatural for our bodies. You correctly said that there was a correlation between milk intake and acne, and we all know that correlation does not equal causation. I'm aware of the particular studies that showed these results, and in some of them consisted of surveys asking adults about how much milk they drank as children. There is NO hard evidence that milk products cause acne.

Bovine Growth Hormone may sound concerning, but it is important to point out that it is a protein hormone and as such is digested and destroyed in the digestive system. IGF-1 (increased by bovine growth hormone) is also destroyed in digestion. Even if ALL of the IGF-1 in dairy milk survived digestion and made it into the blood stream, the increase in the amount of IGF normally in human blood would not be significant. If this is still somehow concerning to anyone, you can solve the problem by purchasing organic milk instead.

Except for individuals with allergies/lactose intolerance, our bodies are perfectly able to handle milk.

I don't drink milk, nor do I eat meat. Most of my calcium comes from yogurt, cheese, and multi-vitamins.

You listed two milk products and a supplement... I dont think thats quite the answer he was looking for ;)

You listed two milk products and a supplement... I dont think thats quite the answer he was looking for ;)

Salmon
Tofu
Rhubarb
Sardines
Collard greens
Spinach
Turnip greens
Okra
White beans
Baked beans
Broccoli
Peas