• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Effectively mixing 5-HTP and L-Dopa?

spectrumfunhouse

Greenlighter
After I roll, I notice that for a few weeks I'm EXTREMELY depressed, but this doesn't make me want to stop because I know it'll go away, no matter how long it feels like. I'm starting to worry about my chemical balance, because I am already depressed, and I read here (http://www.bluelight.ru/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=407429) that taking 5-HTP on it's own can be harmful, and should be taken with a Dopamine precursor. However, it also says that it's not always safe to mix these both together. I was curious, as part of the original post says something about taking 5-HTP in the morning and L-Dopa before bed, is this safe and effective? Also, would throwing in a Melatonin supplement at bed be harmful or helpful? I also have trouble sleeping and would like to try this combination of supplements, but wasn't sure if it was safe or if I could get any pointers from anyone else.

Thanks! :)

They are best not taken together, as they counteract each other's effects in the body. I would take one at night (5-Htp) and one in the morning, L-dopa. I did something similar for a while, except I used L-phenylalanine, not L-dopa.

L-dopa is probably not something you want to end up taking daily.

They're both "harmful" in that they do affect each other's metabolisms, but I don't completely beleive the poster of that thread about the actual effects (I'm a skeptic). Do your own research and find out.