• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Heart flutters scaring the shit out of me

zombiesarepeaceful

Bluelighter
Basically I've had these things, docs have called them palpitations, where it feels like my heart stops for a second, flops around in my chest, and I can't breathe in for a split second, then I'm fine. It happened only occasionally when I was 15, then increasingly got more common. Lately it happens multiple times a day and really scares the shit out of me. If I go to the hospital they'll probably want to keep me, as they have before but I declined. I have asthma, but I don't think it's related to this. It happens more often when I'm on stimulants (even caffeine) and/or are anxious. Anybody have similar things happen...and please tell me it's nothing -_-

Happens to me ALL the time. I'd go to the doctor about it just to make sure, but more than likely it's nothing. Mine was explained by anxiety and SVT (supraventricular tachycardia).

Basically as long as you're not blacking out from it you should be fine. Mine comes and goes in phases, like sometimes it wont happen to me for months and then I'll go through periods when it happens multiple times a day.

I do not see a need for a hospital visit based on the symptoms you are describing.

However you need to get checked out by a doctor as soon as practicable. If you are cash pay or have insurance that allows you to go directly to a Cardiologist...DO IT!

Your symptoms seem far from palpitations and closer to FF's anxiolytic-SVT. But you need a definitive diagnosis and have it treated accordingly.

Good luck.

Yeah I get palpitations sometimes too, I think they're pretty common. My mum used to say that sometimes it was related to increased levels of hormones at different times (if ya know what I mean) but I've not heard this anywhere else (mind you, I haven't looked for any extra info on this).

Most of the time they are absolutely nothing to worry about.

But if you're concerned, go to your doctor and specifically discuss it with them, and see what your options are. They will most likely want to do an ECG just to check that everything's fine. You will most likely NOT require a hospital visit.

Also, if they seem to be exacerbated with stimulant use, please try to minimise your stimulant usage. Listen to your body :) <3

^I agree with N3o- if you see something is causing it to happen more often, try to avoid that :)

This happens to me A LOT!
I did ask my Dr. (who didn't really check my heart) but with my other symptoms wrote it off as severe anxiety.......
Medication helped some but I still got them (palpatations, and this strange feeling like my heart got real big and skips a beat or two, then pounds for a few ) -
I'd suggest you go in to your Dr. and just talk about it.....
If it is nothing, at least you can rest your head about it- ya know?

Happened to me really bad/severely when I ate Aminita Muscaria mushrooms & recently too much Meth. I was so scared with the Meth I went to the hospital and paid $300 for heart tests from a clinic that specializes in such tests . . . they said my heart was okay. I get mild (compared to the two times) palipitations from smoking pot & anxiety, I would take valium but I dislike taking valium. In the past two weeks I've been okay. It was a GREAT relief to have the tests done.

Ok...good...I'm not dying! I do have supraventricular tachycardia...at least that's what the heart monitors said when I was in the Er once. I have a naturally high heart rate, it's considered tachy normally. I've worn heart monitors in the past for a day, had an echo, had multiple EKGs, had blood work done. Once my troponin level was high, but it was explained by acid reflux, stress, etc. I'm hoping that my working out more, being more active will lower my heart rate..but even since I was a little kid, my heart rate was higher than most people my age.

i get them all the time i remember when i was sooo stressed out idk what to do i thought i was dieing cause i was having heart flutters prob 100 times a day and when it was happening 10 times in a min.. and it went on for about 2 weeks and i think i went to the ER about 4 times and when i was there they would tell me i was fine and i would flip out cause i didnt belive them

but could some1 help me out???i think im having blackouts with them but im not sure ... i left a dextox a month ago because of the same reason and im just started detoxing 40 hours ago ... and the same thing is happen so i kno its cause im detoxing .. i wouldnt say im even nervous ... but anyways when i lay down to fail asleep i find myself waking up a sec later like i just blacked out its very hard to explain and scary as hell ..is that a black out from heart flutters? it only happens the sec im about to fall asleep and i feel a flutter the sec it happens and im waking up out of no were

I'm not a doctor but I would go see a cardiologist and not take stimulants either legal like caffeine or illegal or use any illegal drugs until I had seen a doctor and talked to them about it.

30roxi-Talk to a doctor. What did they say in detox when this happened to you?

its wierd because i my hate rate while i was on opiates the past 3 years was 100bpm but when im coming off of opiates its usually 60bpm and when i was laying down it was at about 40pbm ..in detox i would try to tell them but they didn't understand ..because when i would go lay down my heart would be beating really slow as i was trying to sleep and that was only when it would happen but then i would get up to go tell the and my heart would race up from getting out of bed

I had the same thing happen to me when i was 20 years old. I would get palpitationls and feel lightheaded and sometimes faint. It took 3 different doctors before one sent me for an Echo-Cardiogram. The heart echo confirmed what the doctor said. I had MPV (mirtal Valve Prolapse) a heart condition where the mitral valve in the heart was not functioning properly and letting blood back through the wrong way.

It might be worth talking to your doctor about.

i get fucked heart palpatations daily, but only when i smoke cigarettes/meth/cannabis. It doesn't really scare me much when i'm on meth (because I'm too happy to care) but it got to the point where I had to stop smoking weed because i'd get straight up too paranoid. I use to be able to smoke as much as I wanted all day long but now any more than one cone and i'll get really worried about it/feel like I can't breathe properly. As for it happening when I smoke cigarettes I just can't quit them. They're only really minor then anyway and I'm not anxious/paranoid about it so it's fine. I'd say stay away from all stimulants though. Energy drinks used to do it to me so i stopped drinking them, I still drink coffee though and have no problems with it. Sometimes I get it with alcohol too but by that time i'm too drunk/carefree for it to bother me. Like others have said, listen to your body.

Ok, so, I haven't had these in a few days, whereas I was getting them multiple times a day for awhile. Idk. They didn't even happen when I tried crack the other day. I guess it's just stress related, but I'm still gonna mention it to my doc when I see him.

i get them all the time i remember when i was sooo stressed out idk what to do i thought i was dieing cause i was having heart flutters prob 100 times a day and when it was happening 10 times in a min.. and it went on for about 2 weeks and i think i went to the ER about 4 times and when i was there they would tell me i was fine and i would flip out cause i didnt belive them

but could some1 help me out???i think im having blackouts with them but im not sure ... i left a dextox a month ago because of the same reason and im just started detoxing 40 hours ago ... and the same thing is happen so i kno its cause im detoxing .. i wouldnt say im even nervous ... but anyways when i lay down to fail asleep i find myself waking up a sec later like i just blacked out its very hard to explain and scary as hell ..is that a black out from heart flutters? it only happens the sec im about to fall asleep and i feel a flutter the sec it happens and im waking up out of no were

Before you fall asleep you're not blacking out from heart flutters. I can guarantee it. Almost EVERY one of my friends has told me this happens to them every once in a while. My best friend has it EVERY night, he has no heart problems and doesn't abuse any drugs other than cigarettes and alcohol.

It also happens to me.

In terms of heart flutters. I get what seems like a punch in the chest followed by the inability to concentrate on anything other than my heart's beat. It goes blah.. blah! blah!.. b-b-b-lah. <- that might not be accurate but it certainly starts fuckin' around. It happened to me last night. Generally when I'm a little tense.

I also constantly have this feeling in my chest like it's going to happen at any moment. I've been to the doc and had MULTIPLE ECG/EKGs(they are all fine), I've had blood work done(which was fine), and my doc has listened to my heart and it has no murmers, isn't enlarged, is fine he says. I've also had an anesthesiologist tell me that my heart sounds young and powerful, he also said that I'm probly more in tune with the problems since I'm skinny(5'11". 125lbs).

I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one that gets this. I'm not sure if it's exasperated by stimulants. I don't think it is though. Marijuana might exasperate it, though not usually.

Before you fall asleep you're not blacking out from heart flutters. I can guarantee it. Almost EVERY one of my friends has told me this happens to them every once in a while. My best friend has it EVERY night, he has no heart problems and doesn't abuse any drugs other than cigarettes and alcohol.

It also happens to me.

In terms of heart flutters. I get what seems like a punch in the chest followed by the inability to concentrate on anything other than my heart's beat. It goes blah.. blah! blah!.. b-b-b-lah. <- that might not be accurate but it certainly starts fuckin' around. It happened to me last night. Generally when I'm a little tense.

I also constantly have this feeling in my chest like it's going to happen at any moment. I've been to the doc and had MULTIPLE ECG/EKGs(they are all fine), I've had blood work done(which was fine), and my doc has listened to my heart and it has no murmers, isn't enlarged, is fine he says. I've also had an anesthesiologist tell me that my heart sounds young and powerful, he also said that I'm probly more in tune with the problems since I'm skinny(5'11". 125lbs).

I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one that gets this. I'm not sure if it's exasperated by stimulants. I don't think it is though. Marijuana might exasperate it, though not usually.

Thank you! This is the first reply that makes sense. Its happening a few times since yesterday again...but I'm pretty sure it's ok. I'm sure to get it checked out before I lose my medical though...I have no medical right now until they get it straightened out. WHen I get it again, I'm gonna mention it to my doctor. They wanted to inpatient me before when I went in with these things...cause my troponin levels were high. My heart sounds fine, and my ekgs are normal, according to them though..even when it's really fast. I had an ekg taken when I was having a panic attack and my hr was like 180. Scary shit. But my ekg was still ok, just fast.

I would definitely go to a doctor rather than asking for help on a message board with something like this. If it is serious you need a doctor to help you, not one of us guessing what the problem may or may not be. Good luck.

Thank you! This is the first reply that makes sense. Its happening a few times since yesterday again...but I'm pretty sure it's ok. I'm sure to get it checked out before I lose my medical though...I have no medical right now until they get it straightened out. WHen I get it again, I'm gonna mention it to my doctor. They wanted to inpatient me before when I went in with these things...cause my troponin levels were high. My heart sounds fine, and my ekgs are normal, according to them though..even when it's really fast. I had an ekg taken when I was having a panic attack and my hr was like 180. Scary shit. But my ekg was still ok, just fast.

Well I hope everything is okay.

I have Generalized anxiety disorder / I DID have a panic disorder coupled with agoraphobia for about a year so I totally know the whole panic attack and 200bpm heart rates.

What I gather from doctors and from what they've told me, your heart rate has no real implications on your ability to live. If it's unbelievably fast such as 180bpm it will be less effective at pumping oxygenated blood through your body. This will cause things such as fainting, dizziness, confusion, yah ta yah. The worst thing that could happen in that situation is for you to pass out. IF you pass out however your body will slowly start to recover on it's own.

REMEMBER: You don't NEED your conciousness / your eyeballs or ears or anything for your body to function. If you pass out you SHOULD go to the doctor, but realize that it's not like you're going to die. You're body cuts off what it thinks it's able to without risk of death(your body likes to be alive) and guess what? your conciousness and peripherials aren't exactly at the top of neccessity.

Excuse my poor spelling and sentance structure I haven't finished my coffee yet.

Oh, and no love for zombies!

yer i started getting these when i was 17, im 19 now. i did go to the doctors because at the time i thought i was having a heart attack, these palpitations cause me panic attacks but now after 2 years i can control them.
at the beggining i just thought i was losing my mind. but after i started gettting used to them whati thought was "your heart will always keep you alive no matter what". so it doesnt matter i dont think there is anything wrong with you.
coffee is known to do it so but out the coffee for a good while and you will feel better in no time and for the anxiety, well, the anxiety was my main problem and that's what triggered them, its probably just an anxiety attack maybe?.
start taking fish oils and vitamin b and c tablets they help to calm you down dramatically after 2 weeks, i couldn't live without them now, also they keep me cool n confident.
further more i felt that exercise helped.