• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

energy/motivation

angryteabag

Bluelighter
Ive been out of high school for about a year and i find myself so out of motivation its just strange.

during high school i was bright, always energetic, very mentally sharp, i would do improvised acting and our team was one of the best in the country. Ultra out there, EVERYONE knew me. my grades wernt the best but i was like the most energetic charismatic person and everyone knew me for it, always felt like anything was in reach if i tried hard enough.

i finished high school a year early and started studying electrical engineering at university.

since i left i havnt made any good friends at uni. and i feel so fatigued like i just cant be fucked doing anything. waking up is a mission, i come late to classes, feel sluggish, dont pay attention and recently have been finding it hard to understand what people say when having a conversation. dont eat much but feel hungry all the time.

my friend studying biochem says eat fruit and drink lots of water so i have and i feel a bit more energetic but overall still nothing.

i dont feel depressed just demotivated.

Any sort of supliments i can take to give me that little pick me up i need?

my meth head friend recommended his drug of choice but i declined haha

edit: ok reading back over it thats a little bit exaggerated, but coming late to classes, no attention span, failing classes, not caring and the confusion when people talk to me is pretty prominent

im trying to get over it by forcing myself to go out in public and strike up conversations with strangers (something i used to do quite comfortably before but now . . yeah)

Are you smoking a lot of weed by any chance?

I'm not too sure what to suggest, other than that your uni course might not be right for you, judging from the way you describe it. You say you're a year young - if your problems are as serious as they seem, you may benefit in the long run just by taking some time out, doing something different, and going back to uni when you feel more ready.

nice name angryteabag lol,

When was the last time you went to the beach? or the mountains?? Do you have any vacation you would like to go in the spring?

check out that 4 page thread on mental sharpness that is right at the top of the page.

or, I can sum it up: stay away from drugs, eat healthy, sleep a steady 8 hours a night, read, challenge yourself mentally (learning new subject, thinking deeply, etc...) , meditate.

High school kind of forces you to be energetic, you have 8 or so classes all stacked on top of one another, all in the same environment. It's like being a bee in a hive. What you're experiencing makes sense. Now that you're in college you're much less coerced and the energy you exert is more dependent on your will.

You can either fall into a demotivated slump (trust me, you can go pretty far with it.) or you can literally produce the energy you need from within you. Don't think of if as energy towards your classes, your teachers, so you can be a good student, etc. because frankly, there's not much of that to be motivated about. Rather, realize that you will feel better, healthier, and happier, if you put more into your daily grind. The less you resist the things you have to do, the more smoothly your life will be, mentally and physically.

One other thing, supplements can help the symptoms, fatigue and such, but ultimately you have to find the energy within your self. Relying on drugs allows you to put off the real problem. Perhaps the biggest problem you have is doubt, and taking drugs is going to reinforce your belief that you can't fix things by your self.

ive started reading again this week and challenging myself. going out, talking to people and am feeling a lot more energetic

only thing is i still feel confused when people talk to me, its weird. i find myself saying "what" a lot and feeling a bit like a blonde. got no clue about anything. its rather annoying

Sounds like you need some kind of direction in your life, something to be passionate about, some projects to work on, a REASON to go out besides to be social.

OP... I went through exactly the same thing you did at about age 17. Turned out it was gluten intolerance. It's most common symptom is Chronic Fatigue Syndrome... it was a BATTLE getting out of bed and even understanding normal conversation. (note: hypothyroidism also has the same symptoms). I highly recommend an elimination diet, and maybe a blood test for your thyroid.