• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Quick One About Supplement Confusion

she phoenix

Bluelighter
I was looking at the ingredients of some 5-HTP capsules I was thinking of buying and they said that they contain per capsule

Vitamin B-6 (10 mg, 500%), Calcium (80 mg, 8%), Magnesium (40 mg, 10%), 5-HTP (100 mg), Valerian Root (100 mg), Hops (50 mg)

What do the percentages mean? I originally thought they were something to do with your RDA, but I'm not too sure.

Also, if you personally have used 5-HTP before, how effective have you found it? I am thinking of using it for mild depression and also to help with MDMA recovery.

Thanks for your help :D

I dont like the idea of 5-htp. I dont have any sources to back me up...but the idea of putting something in my system to replenish serotonin just doesnt add up for me. My thinking is that this stimulation will further downgrade receptors...therefore making the problem worse!

Just my opinion tho.

the percentages are a bullshit figure conjured up sometime int he 1930s when science had no real knowledge of how nutrition and physiology really dance together. its teh USDA recommended daily dose.

the percentage is more like a guide for how much you should get in a day, but dont take it literally. most of the tests done to determine caloric value of foods, for example, are done in a vacuum by burning the material - hardly how your body makes energy from digesting foods. so again, its a general guide, but dont take the XXX% very seriously.