Recruiting Cancer Anxiety Study with Psilocybin in Baltimore

Aylish

Greenlighter
We are seeking volunteers with a diagnosis of cancer to participate in a scientific study of states of consciousness brought about by psilocybin, and their impact on psychological distress and spirituality.

The study is conducted in a comfortable and supportive setting. (Travel to Baltimore for several visits is required.) Volunteers enrolled in the study will receive careful preparation and two sessions in which they will receive psilocybin. Structured and professional guidance will be provided during the session and afterwards to facilitate integration of the experiences.

After each session, questionnaires and interviews will be used to assess the effects of the psilocybin on consciousness, mood, and behavior

If you would like to volunteer, or just have questions, please contact us and ask for Mary:

Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine
Bayview Medical Center
5510 Nathan Shock Drive
Baltimore, MD 21224-6823

Telephone: 410-550-5990
E-Mail: [email protected]

www.cancer-insight.org

- This is a legitimate study.
- It is for treating anxiety. It is not a cancer treatment.
- Participants need to be able to travel to Baltimore several times.
- The study budget does not cover travel expenses as this time.
- A cancer diagnosis is required.

Last edited:
That's awesome that a top institute like JHU are doing this kind of work! Fan-fucking-tastic!
14.gif

Thanks for posting this! I saw the great work done by John Hopkins Uni at a conference in Australia recently. I was very impressed!

Sounds interesting but if I had cancer and tripped on shrooms I would just imagine myself freaking out thinking it's going to just infect my whole body and kill me. That's just me though lol.

Sounds interesting but if I had cancer and tripped on shrooms I would just imagine myself freaking out thinking it's going to just infect my whole body and kill me. That's just me though lol.

Honestly, I never get those sorts of terrors, but I bet there would be A LOT going on either way. That's amazing this study is being conducted, best of luck! I live nowhere near and don't have Cancer, so I'm of no help. I'd happily take the Psilocybin though!

No Freak Outs to Report from Los Angeles Trial

I was the co-facilitator for the cancer anxiety study with psilocybin at Harbor-UCLA Medical Center. None of our 12 participants freaked out. Paying careful attention to set and setting goes a long way to helping individuals make the most of a session. Look for our findings paper with the positive outcomes to be published in the near future.

Thanks for adding that Aylish! Please pop back in with a reference to any articles for us.

I'm sure that having a comfortable and relaxing setting where you felt safe would go a long way to avoiding freaking out.

Me too.

If this study yields potential for a treatment option, it should be replicated with HIV/AIDS patients. As I know depression induced by HIV is very well documented.

Me too.

If this study yields potential for a treatment option, it should be replicated with HIV/AIDS patients. As I know depression induced by HIV is very well documented.
That's what HIV/AIDS patients need, more recreational drugs.

While I don't agree with the previous statement, I think it would be hard to get that experiment off the ground because of the stigma that unfortunately is associated with HIV/AIDS patients.

^its not about recreation you tool, its about psychological therapy -__-

UPDATE (2013): Yes, this study is still active! Unlike the similar study at Harbor-UCLA Medical Center, participants do not need to have an advanced-stage cancer diagnosis for this study. They can even be in remission as long as they are still experiencing anxiety.

For more information, here's a link for the listing on clinicaltrials.gov: http://clinicaltrial...how/NCT00465595