Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Discuss My Quote.

Shoelace

Bluelighter
"Pop is a disease that is slowly destroying everything"
Care to share anyone?

I wanted people to agree or disagree with my quote.
Share their thoughts and all that jazz.
C'mon,its not a hard thing to do!

Somebody once said that pop will eat itself. I'm not entirely sure what that means and I'm not entirely sure what u mean for that matter, but I generally pay very little attention to anything that is labelled pop, including Poptarts (i don't care much for those sickly sweet, toasty things).
As far as music goes, i think pop is made for people who don't wanna have to look too far to find something to listen to. It's also for young kids.
Shit, did i just type all that?!! Whats that microsleep thingy?!!! I m going to bed.

It's not Pop.
It's the culture itself, that Pop has in it's own way come to represent.
The "plastic" generation. the kids raised by Ronald McDonald and Oprah. The instant breakfast, quick lunch and microwave dinners. The notion that I want it, I want it now, and I want it slightly less real than it deserves to be.
Pop, throwaway music, instant music, is just a McHappy Meal for the ears. Another confirmation of the sickness of the human mind - that we have made and are continuing to make a fake reality for ourselves inside the real one. The reality is that we are furnishing our realities with the padding of the fake one. A shell within a shell. It is our buffer.
We have become a McSociety. We fake interaction with people we pretend to care about. We go about unnatural lives with unfair (self)restrictions in worthless glamour jobs to buy things we don't need or want.
We are told to do this, and we listen. We are greedy for instructions on how to run our lives through this nightmare the corporations made for us, from the same corporations. We are the ultimate captive audience. They deal with life; we are trapped inside their construct of it.
Although it would be unfair to hold the corporations entirely responsible. After all, if some part of us did not wish for things to be like this, they wouldn't be, right?
So, tracing it back to the original quote, it can be seen that it is not Pop, but the human psyche itself that is the all consuming disease. It is ironic that our precious minds are our cancer. The same minds must now look for a cure to themselves, for themselves, and by themselves.
[ 02 June 2002: Message edited by: Jakoz ]

lol syke i was thinking exactly the same thing, nice interpertation jakoz :)
.. i totally agree Shoelace. and while i do agree Jakoz, that its not only 'pop' that is destroying things, however, 'pop' itself is destroying things.
for instance, the big brother fad, the popstars fad, the early teenage girl attraction to boy bands, and the early teenage girl obsession with young female solo artists because they wanna look feel and be like them. while all thats not directly associated with 'pop', it is all related to the 'teeniebopper' phenomenon which is being picked up by every teenage girl in the country - only in an attempt to fit in. its what they are 'supposed' to like and therefore what they do. take a 14 yr old who plays the violin and listens to classical music or someone who plays the saxophone and listens to jazz. in todays image-driven mainstream 'im better than you' society, whos going to be friends with them at their school? theyre going to be slandered to hell and back (in most scenarios) simply because theyre not weak-minded enough to buy into britney spears.
so basically, the teeniebopper 'culture' is ruining kids before they even begin. twelve year old girls dress as though theyre 20. childhood barely even exists anymore.

I agree melancholic.
I mean fuck! This year,my ex-school's concert night had at least four acts that contained Spears' songs!
Parents are so blind they can't even see what this music does to the kids.On face value,its all smiles and celebacy (if thats how you spell it),but below the surface,kids are learning not to feel,not to handle substance!
*in high girly voice*
I dont need to deal with this so like..like..I'll just like totally go over here now!
My music isnt like deep and like neither is my head! Like OH MY GOD! hehehehehehe!!!
But thats not even what I was tryin to say,its the fact that pop music has slowly seeped its way into types of music that I thought would never house such a thing!
Hip-Hop for example,Ja rule and all his new songs! Fat Joe's new single and even The Neptunes are producing tracks for Brittany!!
Even Eminem,every little girl thinks he's pop just because he's white! So they slap his face on TV Hits magazine or whatever and milk it till the cows come home!I don't see xzibits face on those magazines! Pop was looking for a "Spokesperson" for hip hop and they think they found it!
I dissagreed with this whole thing until I bought the new Eminem album, "The Eminem Show".
I loved it and will surely be playing it for months to come..BUT,on one of the songs,Em sings! He sings like he to,has no substance!
I thought for a second "Did I just pick up an N'Sync CD by mistake?
One one is safe from the disease that is pop music.

In my opinion popular culture and everything ever created by postmodern thought can die.
And yes, I know how many flaws are in this statement, so don't bother.

*bump*

pop would be fine if it wasn't popular ;)

na, it's not the music that's the problem, just the fucking people. serisously. i have no problem with the spears, lavignes and nellys off this world churning out shit music year after year, the problem is all the fuckheads that make it the most popular stuff in the world. seriously, as if britney deserves my money (in regards to artistic merit) any more than thom yorke or billy corgan...

i definitely have a problem with society, and come to think of it, maths - think about it, the problem is that around fifty percent of people are of below average intelligence (which, obviously, *has* to be true...damn rules), which we generally term "dumb" or "stupid". most likely, it's these people purchasing the music...if they didn't, everything would be fine.

ooh, i think i'm a little tired, please take this post as tongue-in-cheek :)

pop artists are just puppets-on-strings. all they have to do is sell someone elses song, and it's annoying to think that other true artists who compose their own music and write their own lyrics aren't as recognised as those plastic barbie and ken dolls who only have to learn to sing the songs written for them. some of them don't even understand the lyrics they are singing (i.e avril lavigne, who has to have an english interpreter with her when she does interviews.....because she doesn't understand many words that contain over 6 letters)
and as if thats not bad enough, most of them can't even sing...it's all digitally enhanced to ensure they're hitting the rights notes..... wow.....pure talent.. 8)

Discuss my Quote
"suck my balls!";)

Backo;)

PS Pop Music Rocks

my quote:

overpopulation is a disease that is slowly destroying everything

^^^^^^this one actually has some relevence

that has only one answer

yes it is and will be the downfall of humanity. The reason why its such an issue now is that wars of attrition no longer happen, plagues havent really been around lately.. unless u call that pussy sars an epidemic. Yes your quote is true as Humanity is a disease.

Actually, people are dying all over the world, in great big fucking swathes. There are constant, ongoing wars that have fatal casualties every single day. Disease is rife in the majority of the world population, and daily, huge numbers of people succumb to a combination of starvation and illness, and die in the barren dirt that cannot support them during floods or droughts.

"Pop is a disease that is slowly destroying everything"

“Greed, and the over-concentration of resources in certain places is slowly destroying everything” seems a more appropriate catch cry.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it or who said it, not even if I said it, unless it argees with your own reasons and your own common sense. - Buddha

Trillian said:
“Greed, and the over-concentration of resources in certain places is slowly destroying everything” seems a more appropriate catch cry.

Great, then why dont you start your own thread?

I cant believe this resurfaced only to be shit picked, I mean fark.
It seems like every one would like to add "
Insert topic of choice here is slowly destroying everything"
'cos they feel like it.

-Peace

I'm listening to infected right now... and i can tell you pop sure as hell aint destroying them :D