• ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
    Forum Rules Film Chit-Chat
    Recently Watched Best Documentaries
    ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Film & TV Moderators: ghostfreak

Kurt Cobain's Suicide and MTV Unplugged in New York

CashewXD

Bluelighter
I noticed something when watching Nirvana's MTV Unplugged In New York yesterday.

for those of you who watch the TV show on Fox, Lie To Me, and saw the most recent episode, you know that the expressions of homicidal intent and suicidal intent are almost exactly alike. being so similar it is hard to tell which is which. (Lie to Me is based on an exact science created by Paul Ekman, and adapted into a TV show. For more info visit Dr. Ekman's website: http://www.paulekman.com/)

In kurt cobain's case, this obviously would have been suicidal intent if it had been captured on video. it in fact was captured on video however, and if someone had foreseen this i believe that kurt's suicide could have been prevented (or at least delayed).

At the last 3 or 4 words of the final song of MTV Unplugged in New York (Where Did You Sleep Last Night? a cover of the Ledbellies), one of the last concerts of Kurt Cobain's life only a few months before he died, kurt takes a deep breath in and for a split second his face flashes the face of either homicidal or suicidal intent (once again suicidal in this case).

I managed to capture a screenshot of this:

Screenshot2009-11-05at70027AM.png

You can clearly see it in his face (even if you don't watch lie to me) how much pain he is in, and that he's either going to, or thinking of committing suicide.

Kurt Cobain's death was tragic, and he is my favorite musician of all time. Nirvana was an amazing band, and it is so sad that they were forced to end their career (though the other members went on to do other things) by Kurt's tragic suicide.

Kurt Cobain lovers only please, no hating.

Discuss what you think about this random discovery.

I think he'd been contemplating suicide his whole life, not just at that moment during WDYSLN, if anything it was just for dramatic effect as he took a breath of air after that gut wrenching scream.

I think he'd been contemplating suicide his whole life, not just at that moment during WDYSLN, if anything it was just for dramatic effect as he took a breath of air after that gut wrenching scream.
well obviously he had been thinking about it his whole life. in his autobiography there is a section where the author talks about speaking with someone from Kurt's childhood who told him that in middle school even he was fascinated with suicide.

I will agree with you that this could partially be from the gut wrenching scream, but i think that this specific facial expression, and the science behind it (i.e. Lie to Me) shows just how much pain he was in. That thur is the face of suicide.

what was he going throught that pushed him to commit suicide? anyone know?

He was also withdrawing off heroin at the time, don't think he'd have a big smile on his face :D

what was he going throught that pushed him to commit suicide? anyone know?
he had so many problems, socially and internally. when he was like 19, when he couldn't afford beer, the guy would drop acid 4-5 times a week.

He had severe Bipolar disorder, manic depression, and tons of other mental problems. He had a large amount of social problems, because of a defective relationship with both sides of his family, as well as the fact that he was a huge heroin addict.

Fucked up guy, but his voice is beautiful, and his lyrics are simply chilling. Kurt Cobain was a genius.

he had so many problems, socially and internally. when he was like 19, when he couldn't afford beer, the guy would drop acid 4-5 times a week.

He had severe Bipolar disorder, manic depression, and tons of other mental problems. He had a large amount of social problems, because of a defective relationship with both sides of his family, as well as the fact that he was a huge heroin addict.

Fucked up guy, but his voice is beautiful, and his lyrics are simply chilling. Kurt Cobain was a genius.

wow that's intense. Can u please tell me the name of one of his most chilling songs?

fuck that - courtney love pushed him to it or had him killed for sure.

shes a fucking psycho

I'm pretty sure he also had a lot of stomach/intestinal problems that left him in a lot of pain which is one of the reasons he used heroin.

^
Yes, this.

Sadly, it's not like he wasn't giving signs - the OD in Rome, the fact that he wrote a song called 'I Hate Myself and I Want to Die'....

wow that's intense. Can u please tell me the name of one of his most chilling songs?
As previously posted Teen Spirit isn't really that chilling of a song.

Anything off of MTV Unplugged in New York really.

but specifically:

Come As You Are
Something In the Way
All Apologies
Heart Shaped Box
About a Girl
Lithium

fuck that - courtney love pushed him to it or had him killed for sure.

shes a fucking psycho
mother fuck. i knew someone was gonna say that. my cousin lives in San Francisco CA and he's like best friends with Kurt's Cousin. He talked to him and he said that Courtney most definitely did not kill Kurt. Also the writer of Kurt's Biography, after looking through tons of Kurt's things (i.e. love notes between him and courtney; journal entries, etc.) he deduced that they had a very good relationship, and that they truly loved each other.

No way she killed him.

^
Yes, this.

Sadly, it's not like he wasn't giving signs - the OD in Rome, the fact that he wrote a song called 'I Hate Myself and I Want to Die'....

Actually that was the original title for "In Utero" (although, apparently it was also a track left off the album.) And about his "OD" is Rome: Courtney was the one with the roofies. If you ask me, she spiked his champagne. Kurt was definitely in pain, and maybe he did want to die at times, but in my opinion, Courtney had him killed. Among MANY other things (which you can easily find on the internet - there are many, many websites dedicated to the theory that he was murdered), the second part of the "suicide note" was clearly not written by Kurt, and most likely by Courtney.

As for the screen-shot, I've not seen the program you mentioned, but to me it just looks like a man in pain, going through heroin withdrawal, high on Valium and doing everything he can to make it through that show.

Actually that was the original title for "In Utero." And about his "OD" is Rome: Courtney was the one with the roofies. If you ask me, she spiked his champagne. Kurt was definitely in pain, and maybe he did want to die at times, but in my opinion, Courtney had him killed. Among MANY other things (which you can easily find on the internet - there are many, many websites dedicated to the theory that he was murdered), the second part of the "suicide note" was clearly not written by Kurt, and most likely by Courtney.

As for the screen-shot, I've not seen the program you mentioned, but to me it just looks like a man in pain, going through heroin withdrawal, high on Valium and doing everything he can to make it through that show.

i need to restate. i know that it is the opinion of loads of people everywhere, and all over the internet, but in my personal opinion, and in my experience as far as researching into the subject (i.e. biography, and kurt's cousin that my cousin knows in CA), i in no way believe that courtney killed kurt.

another thing i just saw. after the gut wrenching scream, there is a pause where his face is at peace, and he closes his eyes, before flashing this expression and then going into the final note of "where did you sleep last night?" not just from the gut wrenching previous notes.

Kurt's cousin that your cousin knows? Sounds pretty far removed to be certain of anything.

Courtney definitely did not kill Kurt. They had a tumultuous relationship alright, but they were both celebrity junkies trying to cope with tremendous personal issues in all the wrong ways. Kurt just couldn't take it anymore.

Heavier Than Heaven is a biography written on Kurt Cobain with years of research gone into it, I highly recommend it. He most definitely committed suicide, the guy was struggling with some impossible demons his entire life. All that combined with his inability to handle his rising fame with a monster heroin habit to boot pushed him over the edge.

You can clearly see it in his face (even if you don't watch lie to me) how much pain he is in, and that he's either going to, or thinking of committing suicide.

Discuss what you think about this random discovery.

I dare say that for those who were close to him, catching a glimpse of this facial expression may not have been that uncommon. As others have said he was a seriously troubled individual who had been contemplating and even discussing suicide many times throughout his life. In retrospect we could say it might have been a preventable death. But with such a hard life, it could have been inevitable anyway??

It was indeed a horrible tragedy, a huge loss to the world, but he will forever live on in his music and in our hearts <3