Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

NEWS: Daily Telegraph - 04/11/09 'Judge orders essay for drug punishment'

hoptis

Bluelight Crew

Judge orders essay for drug punishment
By Larissa Cummings
November 04, 2009 12:39pm

A YOUNG man caught with ecstasy tablets in his wallet has been ordered by a Sydney magistrate to write a school-type essay on the ills of the drug.

Waverley magistrate Lee Gilmour has taken to assigning essays to first-time offenders in order to be satisfied they have learnt their lesson and qualify for a Section 10 good behaviour bond without a conviction.

John Daiken, 24, fell into this category when he came before Ms Gilmour this morning, having pleaded guilty to possessing two ecstasy tablets.

Daiken, from Northmead, was found with the drug in his wallet when police pulled him over in Maroubra in September.

Before his lawyer could apply for a Section 10 bond, Ms Gilmour asked Daiken to write her an assignment on ecstasy.

"I'm so sick of dealing with people with one, two, three or four ecstasy tablets on them," she said.

"If it wasn't for silly people like you paying good money for this trash, there wouldn't be a market for it."

Ms Gilmour said the drug was a huge cost to society and writing an assignment on the drug and its effects was the only way she knew how to make young people understand the dangers they are dabbling with.

"I have a number of assignments sitting on my desk at the moment - I feel like a school teacher," she said.

She specified the essay was to be hand-written ("not cut and pasted from Google") and focus on the ingredients of ecstasy, how it is made, where it is made, what it can do to you physically and the toll it takes on the community.

"When you've done that, you can come back here and I may be prepared to let you go conviction free," she said.

"I want you to spread the word."

Daiken will find out if his essay passed or failed on November 11.

The Daily Telegraph

What is this world coming to?

If you wrote the truth about MDMA she wouldn't have a bar of it and you would have the pants convicted off of you i bet...

Even though it is sometimes made in dodgy places it still has a pretty safe track record...

8)

I don't expect she wants facts but i'd like to think he'd write:
how it is made: see PIHKAL
where it is made: Backyard labs (so what), or dutch labs or asian labs.
what it can do to you physically: make you feel great? make you want to hug your fellow man.
the toll it takes on society: do we even know this?

"I want you to spread the word". WTF?

To think that someone can write an essay to her standards... FFS.

This is awesome. Given this opportunity I would be writing all the pros and all the cons. Make sure to include lots of stats and get the facts straight.

8)

what it can do to you physically: make you feel great? make you want to hug your fellow man.

He's best off biting the bullet and doing some ass licking on this one me thinks

What a terrible situation to be in!

Can only hope she dies of an alcohol related illness or something...

What would you guy's do? Would you write the essay truthfully or make up bullshit that would please that bitch judge?

If it were me id write it truthfully, Id write how pill's these day's are mostly made here in Australia or sometimes they are import's. I'd also talk about how pill's these day's contain little or no MDMA, and contain mostly shit. I would blame this on her and the government.

I would then go into huge detail of the effect's of Ecstasy, I'd be a real smart arse about the whole thing. She probably is expecting a 2-3 page essay...I would slam a 10 page essay in her ugly face outlining the truth's and fact's.

What would you guy's do? Would you write the essay truthfully or make up bullshit that would please that bitch judge?

If it were me id write it truthfully, Id write how pill's these day's are mostly made here in Australia or sometimes they are import's. I'd also talk about how pill's these day's contain little or no MDMA, and contain mostly shit. I would blame this on her and the government.

I would then go into huge detail of the effect's of Ecstasy, I'd be a real smart arse about the whole thing. She probably is expecting a 2-3 page essay...I would slam a 10 page essay in her ugly face outlining the truth's and fact's.

I'd pretty much do this. Got to be completely non-bias about it, and be SURE to reference official studies wherever possible.

Im almost tempted to write her an email and ask what would the outcome would be if a unbiased fact based essay with citations was handed in but did not include the moral and political based spin of drug use spewed out from our authorities.

We all know here what the real stats, facts and dangers are of MDMA use, not to mention the fact pills are even more dangerous now due to prohibition.

Truth vs. lies, i bet she would support the lies. 8)

Im almost tempted to write her an email and ask what would the outcome would be if a unbiased fact based essay with citations was handed in but did not include the moral and political based spin of drug use spewed out from our authorities.

We all know here what the real stats, facts and dangers are of MDMA use, not to mention the fact pills are even more dangerous now due to prohibition.

Truth vs. lies, i bet she would support the lies. 8)

In her defense, she is probably misinformed by her superiors as well. What we don't realise is that a lot of the public really are just misinformed and would very likely be on our side if they knew the true facts about illicit substances.

Too much assumption going on in this thread. Who's to say if presented with an unbiased and referenced essay she would not accept it.

Perhaps she is doing this with the thought of HM. How many of these kids have never researched what is actually in pills and what are all the affects. For all we know some may end up here on this site and learn a thing or two.

She may know this isn't going to stop them from having a fun weekend but they might drop pills safer with some knowledge. May also have a run on effect that leads to them telling their mates as well.

I don't see this as such a bad thing.

Too much assumption going on in this thread. Who's to say if presented with an unbiased and referenced essay she would not accept it.

Perhaps she is doing this with the thought of HM. How many of these kids have never researched what is actually in pills and what are all the affects. For all we know some may end up here on this site and learn a thing or two.

She may know this isn't going to stop them from having a fun weekend but they might drop pills safer with some knowledge. May also have a run on effect that leads to them telling their mates as well.

I don't see this as such a bad thing.

True. But I think it would be a relatively safe assumption to presume it needs to be a "drugs are bad mmkay" essay for it to "pass". I'd be interested to see the outcome of this to any extent. I wonder what approach the kid will take.

Hmmm, maybe you're right Amblin.

Perhaps when she said "If it wasn't for silly people like you paying good money for this trash, there wouldn't be a market for it", she new he had a wallet full of pipes.

This is good, it gives him a chance to kiss ass better then ever. Tell the judge everything he wants to hear and say "I ...I ...until I studied it I never really knew just how bad it could be"

Judge will let him go and he can go back to partying.

I mean seriously how stupid is this judge.

lol what an amusing situation.

I wonder if I was in that guys shoes if I would write a load of bullshit suck up essay to please the judge or if I would write something truthful about MDMA and how if I had my time over again, I would still have taken it.

I don't think I could live with my self if I wrote a suck up one.

lol what an amusing situation.

I wonder if I was in that guys shoes if I would write a load of bullshit suck up essay to please the judge or if I would write something truthful about MDMA and how if I had my time over again, I would still have taken it.

I don't think I could live with my self if I wrote a suck up one.

Neither could I. We need to be pushing the message that education is important, if he can put together a proper essay that is not bias and lists the positives and negatives of ingesting MDMA then if the judge has any brain at all she will realise he is a consumer who does his research first.

Don't forget MDMA is neurotoxic. Despite there being a pronounced difference in the argument as to whether oxidative stress occurs during and after consumption of ecstasy, I would prefer to take the definitive road and not use at all or as much so to speak.

8)

What do you mean by backyard labs (so what). Cooks are in the business to make money and if it means not being up to standard then they couldn't care less hence why we have a lot more of these dud and horrible pills flooding everywhere.

Physically MDMA is relatively safe but it does cause damage to your brain even if that damage is miniscule and reversible it still occurs, users need to be aware of that. More education on that issue is definitely needed instead of the typical government fear mongering which by the way is extremely effective but doesn't tend to work once an individual uses their brain instead of being shocked.

These drugs do take a toll on society. They are illegal which costs the population a ridiculous amount of money so the government can patrol the country and protect users from themselves. These substances don't just turn up in a baggie in your hand that easy...

^ the "so what" attitude simply refers to my feeling that most users don't really care that their pills are made in some backyard lab - they'll take it anyway. it would be nice if they were made to laboratory standards, but beggars can't be choosers.

perhaps they/we/I don't value life as highly as we should. perhaps its a mentality of "what we don't know won't hurt us". I just don't think telling this guy "where it's made" will have any noticeable effect on him.

but, the more I think about it and examine the judges actual words, the more i'm beginning to side with Amblin. go on everyone "spread the word". (and the word should be boycott ;) - lol)

This is pretty good of her really, I mean she is not in a position where you would expect her to neccessarily be that informed about ecstasy. As a judge as far as she is concerned it is illegal, it starts and ends there, if she has no interest in it she has undoubtedly swallowed all the bullshit propaganda that goes around.

I would say it wouldn't be looked upon kindly for there to be ANY positives about ecstasy in that article. Truth be told if that was me I would write a bullshit essay about how bad E was, at the end of the day NOTHING is going to change no matter what is written in these stupid essays except whether you walk out the court with a conviction and a disadvantage in life or no conviction and a fine. To me that is a no brainer.

^ the "so what" attitude simply refers to my feeling that most users don't really care that their pills are made in some backyard lab - they'll take it anyway. it would be nice if they were made to laboratory standards, but beggars can't be choosers.

perhaps they/we/I don't value life as highly as we should. perhaps its a mentality of "what we don't know won't hurt us". I just don't think telling this guy "where it's made" will have any noticeable effect on him.

but, the more I think about it and examine the judges actual words, the more i'm beginning to side with Amblin. go on everyone "spread the word". (and the word should be boycott ;) - lol)
^ Cheers =D

DM you are exactly right I think. Doubt an article showing MDMA in a positive light with respect to harm reduction would get much publicity, you would just end up with a conviction most likely.